EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Why does the torque on my car make it feel sooooo fast?

I have a TDI170 common rail engine (2 weeks old) and it is so fast. am i imagining things as its only 170bhp

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by bingobongo123 View Post
    I have a TDI170 common rail engine (2 weeks old) and it is so fast. am i imagining things as its only 170bhp
    I think you will find it's because large amounts of torque are produced from relatively low revs right through the range. Unlike a petrol engine which needs to be reved to make it go, a diesel 'goes' at much lower revs.

It's quite simliar in some ways to a larger petrol engine which can produce lots of power without the need for high revs. I once owned a 2.8 Golf VR6 and that was able to produce the power in a relatively lazy way.

Glad you're liking you new A3 and the s-tronic. It certainly adds a new dimension and lots of enjoyment to driving.
    Last edited by h5djr; 13th July 2009 at 21:35.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Torque gets you there, bhp keeps you there. The classic diesel mantra.

The new CR 170s are seriously good in the torque stakes.
    Pragmatik ICT
    Revo (VAG & Porsche) & Steinbauer Dealer for Suffolk & N.Essex
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport DSG Revo Stage 1 & 2
    Porsche Boxster S Revo Stage 1

6+1 Gears

Status
    S-tronic also ads to the feeling.
    Had the same feeling when i drove mine. I used to drive similar powered card but with manual gearbox.
    With DSG thoug, you can relax and just feel the car accelerating.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap