Instrument lights flick on and off

yani

Reaction score
when i turn my lights on the Instrument lights somtimes flick on and off, when i try to adjust from the dimmer it doesn't work very well. i had this prob on my MK1 golf which was sorted after i fitted a new dimmer switch.

has anyone else has this problem and know the fix ?

I don't have auto lights.

Is it more of a dim up and down? when you go through trees or something?
Mine does it when direct sunlight hits the cluster (my main beams don't turn on) sometimes the speedo numbers dim up and down and the needle remains lit. If thats what your talking about it's suppose to do it....
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

not a dim up and down its a sudden on off as if there was a loose connection.

Is it more of a dim up and down? when you go through trees or something?
Mine does it when direct sunlight hits the cluster (my main beams don't turn on) sometimes the speedo numbers dim up and down and the needle remains lit. If thats what your talking about it's suppose to do it....
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Good its not just mine then,numbers dim but the needles remain lit and yep damn tree shadows on a sunny day:icon_thumright:

I had the same problem with mine. Turned out to be a dry solder joint where the main connector for the rheostat attaches to the circuit board. If you remove the main lighting switch from the facia you can then detach the rheostat (dimmer switch) from it, carefully take the rheostat apart and re-solder the connections on the board. Re assemble and voila!

just noticed this happens with the lights off too :uhm:

OMG I just logged in to put a post like this on!!!

my numbers dim under trees too, but not all the time. I think it's supposed to be a some kind of auto dimmer thing. But the needles don't change, just the dials. weird.

Anyone know more about this. I'm just going to plug vagcom in and see if there's a fault.

mine has no auto head lights, the dash lights just flick on / off like its a loose wire, never noticed it dim. being day or night headlights on or off makes no diffrence.

defo a loose plug or somthing..........

Is your instrument backlighting usually on all the time, irrespective of whether the lights are on or not?

You can change this using VDS coding so that both needles and backlights stay on all the time. I had the prblem that with my roof down and the glare the cluster looked a bit dull, so I changed the settings so its on all the time

Nav screen changes brightness with the ambient light too.

Yani, try giving the area around the dimmer switch a couple of bangs, it may show more symptoms.