Fuel Trim/MAF Problem

bamurphy

Reaction score
Fuel Trim/MAF Problem

I own a 2.0l FSi 53 plate A3 engine code AXW. Recently the MIL turned on just after leaving the motorway idling after a 45 minute blast from Manchester.

Over Xmas is had EGR problems and invested in VAG.COM and it has paid for its self already. The two fault codes are as followed:

17560 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 2: System too Lean
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow

17560 Fault Code
Ross Tech
Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensors (G70)
Check Intake Air System for Leaks - CHECKED
Check Fuel Injector(s) - CLEANED
Check Fuel Pump
Check Exhaust System for Leaks - CHECKED
Check Secondary Air Injection System - UNSURE??

I have done some research into Fuel Trim
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

From this I understand to measure Group 032 and the first 2 values will be percentages, according to the Ross-Tech help the values should be within +/- 10%:

6.2% - PASS under 10%
16.7% - FAIL over 10%

16.7% is failing at elevated engine speeds (Multiplicative) which confirms the fault code.

“In general, an out-of-spec value in the first field (Additive) indicates a vacuum leak since it is mostly present at idle, when vacuum is highest. An out-of-spec value in the second field (Multiplicative) indicates a fault at higher RPM, and may point to a faulty MAF.”

From reading this I gave Audi Preston a call to quote for a replacement MAF, if it was less that £50 I was going to change w/o investigation. After speaking to the parts guy he returned with “there’s no MAF on the system”. After looking on ElsaWIN I’ve found a “Intake Manifold Pressure Sender -G71- with Intake Air Temperature Sender -G42-“ am I correct in believing this is the MAF?

16825 Fault Code
After searching for leaks in the vacuum system for the previous fault code there was a release in pressure which appeared to be in the pipe running from the Carbon Canister to the intake manifold, this is what I believe has caused this fault code and there for im happy to ignore this.

Questions??

• Is the “Intake Manifold Pressure Sender -G71- with Intake Air Temperature Sender -G42-“ the MAF on my car
  • The term Bank 1; Range 2 what does this mean?

Many thanks for anyone who can shine some light..

Cheers,
Ben

I've had a quick look at ETKA and it does look like the 2.0FSi doesn't use a traditional MAF sensor like the other engines in the range.

So it isn't clear how it meters the air, unless it just relies on feedback from the Lambda sensor in the exhaust.

A MAP sensor would measure the absolute pressure in the manifold not the quantity of air.

Hopefully a 2.0FSi expert will pop up at some point.

I've got a Diesel.

Paul