Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

AUTO folding mirrors - can they close when i lock the car?

ok so i purchased a black edition A3 a few days ago.

its a design/safety issue as you can only close the mirrors electrically when the key is in the ignition. this means when you go to get out of the car you cannot tell if a car is approaching!!!! WTF is that all about.

Audi have said that's the ways its designed?!?!

does anyone have experience of changing theirs so it closes when you are OUT OF THE CAR?

andy

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I fold mine in after I get out by hand...

Seriously though I think there is no way round this as far as I know.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 140 Sport S-Tronic (8P3)

Aruba Blue

Alu Roof Rails*Cruise*BOSE*USB

I agree that you cannot fold them from outside but the key does not have to be in the ignition. Providing the driver's door has not been opened and closed they will still fold when the key has been removed.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Has to be someway of doing it

The A4 courtesy car that i had, the mirrors only folded in when you locked the car

Neutral

Status
    that seems strange, I know on the Seat Leon you can hold the lock button on the remote and they fold up...would seem silly to have a different system on the A3...
    Collected 14 July - 2009 MY10 A3 1.9TDIe Sport 3dr in Brilliant Black
    Factory options: Cruise Control, Debadged, Chrome Exhaust tips
    Mods: CC Tuning remap.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    It can be done, by installing another bit of kit that also would give you full closure.

Which A4 did you have then Jord cause B6/7 didnt have this facility at all so must have been the new B8.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smbAudi View Post
    that seems strange, I know on the Seat Leon you can hold the lock button on the remote and they fold up...would seem silly to have a different system on the A3...

yeah apparently seat are ahead of audi now..... or is it you have to pay for the feature with audi probably so effin rip off

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No, the 8P doesnt have this feature paid or not from audi themselves.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    soz nige i was just making a point the way audi are they will have you pay for a dust cap soon .

Where as alot of other car makers are throwing this stuff in for free keyless entry and start ,folding mirrors, adaptive head lights, i like audi's but the company pees me off ....penny pinching ****es they are

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    It can be done, by installing another bit of kit that also would give you full closure.

Which A4 did you have then Jord cause B6/7 didnt have this facility at all so must have been the new B8.
    Yeah it was a B8

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    soz nige i was just making a point the way audi are they will have you pay for a dust cap soon .

Where as alot of other car makers are throwing this stuff in for free keyless entry and start ,folding mirrors, adaptive head lights, i like audi's but the company pees me off ....penny pinching ****es they are
    No apology needed cause I whole heartedly agree, they are so damn slow to filter tech into there cars, I mean look at the 8P, has had 2 facelifts & I see tech in the MK5 & the Seat that should exist on the 8P from the get go, yet still 6 years on we are only dreaming of some of these things, really starting to piss me of cause as you say other brands are handing it over standard, I mean really it is bloody **** tbh

Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    Yeah it was a B8
    Phewwww thought I'd missed that trick then, lol

Anyay all gotta do now is build the pcb & wire in as my tests have worked a treat & saved **** loads of wiring by tapping into existing folding system.