Quattro sideways action (S3)

S3RYE

Interior Next!!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

myself and a mate who has a TT Quattro Sprt 240 have been talkin a lot lately about quattro and what you can actually achieve in terms of drifting and rear end action...

i dont like to try mad things that often cause when you get them wrong they can be quite damaging to your car.. but i guess this is what s3's are meant for proper driving... im sure they can handle being driven quite hard.. especially standard.

so far ive managed a couple of mad ones..

i was turning round (quite wide road) as i was turning i reversed back and was facing the kerb with wheels full locked ready to move forward and drive on.. but it was very wet and i thought hold on a sec.. switched off the ESP and pulled controlled but hard. felt the front wheels loose traction then BOOM the back end came flying round and im talking fast so had to compensate with opposite lock untill finally straightening out!! im not going to lie there were a couple of parked cars n i absolutely sh** myself... :ohmy:

so after doing this i realised what this car is capable of.. on the weekend we went to a pub which was using a field as an overflow car park.. well me n my mate couldnt wait to get in there and get out just so we could have a bit of fun.. and ill tell u something we did.. on grass they are so much fun!!!

so i was wondering what sort of things you guys have managed in yours? dont have to be S3.. anything quattro i guess....

it goes sideways if forced to, but like you said it was ment to be fast and have good traction :superman:
it's a wild little rocket :racer:

u know what i think thats goin to be the best idea! if i get it to a skid pan i can safely and legally try it out!

anyone know of any good ones near essex/east london??

Good effort on getting the back end out.....

My Grips so hard, I run out of balls before the car runs out of grip.....

My Previous S4 understeered like an Hillman Imp (mainly in the wet) but this S3 is so planted....

My Facelift is also better than the non facelift I test drove!

Good effort on getting the back end out.....

My Grips so hard, I run out of balls before the car runs out of grip.....

My Previous S4 understeered like an Hillman Imp (mainly in the wet) but this S3 is so planted....

My Facelift is also better than the non facelift I test drove!
that's true. think that the gen4 haldex is waaaaaay better and rear axle is faster than on gen2.

I've done similar from junctions with front wheels turned in the wet, if you floor it from low speed with ESP off the back does come round - quite quickly as you say!

It was excellent in the snow we had a few months back, as long as you wait for the front to turn in then apply the power - creating a lovely controllable drift. I had at least ten minutes looking out the side window in my empty works car park!

Don't think you could do much in the dry without major provocation at low speed!

You can also feel the power shift to the back in the middle of corners, if you turn the nose in then apply a bit more power it can quell understeer nicely in the wet.

It's a bit counter intuitive, you have to apply power when you start understeering off the road! Mind you my Brother's Evo VIII was the same, you have to give it power to let the trick rear diff do it's thing.

ive been sidewards on snow .... was great

yeh i got my car the week that snow was about! but i was so scared of doing anything bad that i didnt even consider tryng to drift it then.. kicking myself now!!!

i know its possible in the dry.. as i said my pal has one of them quattro sprt tt's (one with buckets and black roof) and he reckons hes had his step out a few times with ESP off.. dont know how much that differes from an S3, probably alot as they are very stiff..

i honestly want it to rain so i can go and have some fun! :eyebrows:

just a quick question about the s3's quattro system, i have heard people say that it is only quattro when needed, kind of like a traction control. but i have seen s3's on dyno's and all four wheel are moving which says to me it is a fixed 4x4 system???

You would have to stick the car on a 4 wheel dyno, otherwise the haldex would detect that the rear wheels have all the grip and send the power to the rear. This would equal your car going straight into the garage wall!!!

Again as you start up on a dyno, the front wheels would move with the power from the engine, and the rears would be detected as being stationary and therefore more grip.... so haldex sends power to the rear....

I guess it then balances between the both....

This is how the haldex clutch moves the power about.... the S4 I had previous was a mechanical soultion and was definatley permy 4 wheel drive.

I'm sure this power shifting about it why Quattro cars always have such varied results on dynos...

You would have to stick the car on a 4 wheel dyno, otherwise the haldex would detect that the rear wheels have all the grip and send the power to the rear. This would equal your car going straight into the garage wall!!!

Again as you start up on a dyno, the front wheels would move with the power from the engine, and the rears would be detected as being stationary and therefore more grip.... so haldex sends power to the rear....

I guess it then balances between the both....

This is how the haldex clutch moves the power about.... the S4 I had previous was a mechanical soultion and was definatley permy 4 wheel drive.

I'm sure this power shifting about it why Quattro cars always have such varied results on dynos...

that makes sense, i suppose the ecu would read it as a wheel spin as the rear wheels are not moving!