EM TuningChris Nott
    Interior Next!!

Status

car is clean, but still have bugs!!!??

car is clean, but still have bug remains baked onto the whole front end. anyone got any good ways to get this stuf off? its almost like glue and ive tried bug removing sprays (for cars) and there shi*
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washin.../prod_183.html

this stuff is good, spray it on before you start cleaning your car, spray all the lower parts of the car leave for bout 5 mins, or keep applying, if you have tough spot, spray some on, and gently rub it with a cloth!

lives for speed

Status
    Everyone seems to rave about Maguaires stuff;

Here

Interior Next!!

Status
    cheers... got some autoglym tar remover at home.. ill give that a try. stupid me didnt think of that one
    S

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings

2nd Gear

Status
    You could try a claybar too.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

3rd Gear

Status
    yea clay will definately get it off, get a harsh one and mild one, use the harsh one for front of car and lower side panels

Interior Next!!

Status
    i also have a few scratches the have come from knowere? i have t cut and this megs scrath x stuff.. would you use these produts on a new car?
    S

3rd Gear

Status
    do not use t cut, it rips the paint away very quickly, megs scratch-x is ok for hand use, but its a very commercial product.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...sh/cat_16.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...h/prod_90.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...r/prod_95.html

this stuff is good but recommended to be used this a polishing machine

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...ml/cat_28.html

Interior Next!!

Status
    im going to try the scratch x tonight and see what happens...

ive been getting quite into detailing lately and have been looking at all different products and methods..

what do u do to your cars start to finish.. ???(not interior)
    Last edited by S3RYE; 29th June 2009 at 14:52.
    S

2nd Gear

Status
    How deep are the scratches? You could try AG Super Resin Polish which will mask fine scratches with fillers but doesn't remove them. Then you can use a sealant and a wax for protection.

You'll find it difficult to remove scratches by hand TBH.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post

A proper clean would be:

Pre wash with snow foam using foam lance and pressure washer.
    Rinse
    Wash with Megs Gold Class and Microfibre wash mitt.
    Rinse.
    Clay bar
    Wash
    Rinse
    Polish with AG Ultra Deep Shine
    Seal with AG Extra Gloss Protection
    Tyres dressed with Megs hot shine
    Rainx foaming glass cleaner
    RainX repellant
    Wax (currently using FK pink wax)

If it's a quick wash, it's just a case of the first 4 stages ^
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Interior Next!!

Status
    cheers dave,

am going to get the two autoglym products today...

i still need to get one fo them foam lance thingys.. i have a fairly old karcher do they fit straight on?? i really wanna try that fom stuff!
    S

1st Gear

Status

Snow Foam
    Apply Cartec Wheel Cleaner (the best cleaner by far! acid free and you wont even need to use anything apart from the jet washer!)
    Rinse all apart from wheels
    3m Car wash
    Rinse & jet wheels
    3M Perfect-It III Cleaner Clay
    3M Rosa Polish
    Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal
    Meguiars Hot Shine Tyre Spray

Links for products, the wife works for 3M so her distributers give us the Rosa and Clay! instead of the 18 per bottle of rosa!

Try the Cartec wheel cleaner and the 3M rosa and I can promise you will never buy anything else again!, the polish can be applied wet or dry and doesnt leave any white dust like so many others. I've tried every wheel cleaner going and none come anywhere near this product. The 5 ltr tub lasts 6 months easily!.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...=1180583596358

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo...er_Clay_1.html

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo...Foam_5L_1.html

http://www.fishermotorfactors.co.uk/product-6344.wtl

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Cars-Mot...-cleaner-12971

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah, if you contact Autobrite Direct which is where I got mine from, they'll ask the fitment type / Karcher model and send the lance to suit.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    Here's a link to the AB website. There was a group buy running on vagoc.co.uk so it's worth signing up there to see if it's still open.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Interior Next!!

Status
    am already a memeber on vagoc.. joined ages ago and totally forgot about it lol.

will go and have a look.. are they highlt reccomended then? everyone on here seems to use them..
    S

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah, it's a good piece of kit. I'm glad I bought one. Well worth the money IMO.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

5th Gear

Status
    Autosmart Tardis will get rid of any bug and tar residue.

I wouldn't use an aggressive clay bar, too much risk of inflicting more damage to the paintwork IMO.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    A proper clean would be:

Pre wash with snow foam using foam lance and pressure washer.
    Rinse
    Wash with Megs Gold Class and Microfibre wash mitt.
    Rinse.
    Clay bar
    Wash
    Rinse
    Polish with AG Ultra Deep Shine
    Seal with AG Extra Gloss Protection
    Tyres dressed with Megs hot shine
    Rainx foaming glass cleaner
    RainX repellant
    Wax (currently using FK pink wax)

If it's a quick wash, it's just a case of the first 4 stages ^

Ok, so the AG tar remover got rid of the bugs!

bought the ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection, didnt get a chance to do the sealant but did the polish and wow! looks great!! just gotta get my foam lance and snow foam n im away! cheers for advice matey
    S

3rd Gear

Status
    i start by:

1. spray bilberry wheel cleaner (the best one as its ph neutral and doesnt corrode alloys) and use the EZ wheel detail brush then rinse
    2. spray lower parts of car with chemical guys - strong wash
    3. rinse
    4. snow foam it with foam lance and megs hyper wash
    5. rinse
    6. wash by hand with megs hyper wash and wash mitt
    7. rinse
    8. clay
    9. wash
    10. rinse
    11. dry
    12. polish with rotary, using 3m yellow pad and 3m extra fine compound then move on to the 3m blue finishing pad with 3m ultrafine polish
    13. once over with dodo juice lime prime lite by hand.
    14. 3 coats of sealant. either zaino z2 with zfx cure additive or chemical guys jetseal.
    15. 2 coats of chemical guys EZ glaze
    16. 1 coat of victoria wax collectors edition
    17. 2 coats of dodo juice supernatural
    18. final spray over with either zaino z8 or dodo juice red mist.
    19. aerospace 303 protectant on all of the plastic trim.
    20. apply carlack glass sealant kit
    21. dodo juice time to dry on the wheels (this gets rid of the dried water spots)
    22. apply 3 coats poorboys wheel sealant
    23. 1 coat of megs endurance tire gel
    24. possibly megs plastic-x on the lights

i may also do an engine detail depending on time. spay a fine degreaser all over engine bay, making sure you cover up important things like the electric connectors etc. spray on, leave to dwell for a bit, brush if necessary, rish of with gentle hose pressure, dry it all, start engine to help dry quicker, go over all the plastics with aerospace 303 to renew al plastic and get them back to original state.
    Last edited by gixxer600k4; 30th June 2009 at 10:20.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok, so the AG tar remover got rid of the bugs!

bought the ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection, didnt get a chance to do the sealant but did the polish and wow! looks great!! just gotta get my foam lance and snow foam n im away! cheers for advice matey

Nice one. Get that EGP on, it really gives a nice finish. Plus, you need it on if you've polished as you've effectively stripped any protection off the car. Get the EGP on and you've sealed in your hard work, which will make the car easier to clean. I'd top that with a wax too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll soon be wanting to try various other polishes, sealants, glazes, waxes etc. You'll end up with loads of half empty bottles! It's a expensive game, I tell you!!
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Interior Next!!

Status
    Nice one. Get that EGP on, it really gives a nice finish. Plus, you need it on if you've polished as you've effectively stripped any protection off the car. Get the EGP on and you've sealed in your hard work, which will make the car easier to clean. I'd top that with a wax too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll soon be wanting to try various other polishes, sealants, glazes, waxes etc. You'll end up with loads of half empty bottles! It's a expensive game, I tell you!!

omg! u have scared me now... i did it yesterday so i can do the sealant but it says to leave it for a good hour... is this the case? and will it be ok to do considering i cleaned her yesterday???
    S

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Took me a while to get these buggers off, that's for sure!

Have fun.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune
    VOLKSWAGEN: 1980 Mk1 Golf GTI

3rd Gear

Status
    il second that, i have loads of empty bottle, loads of wax tubs etc. good fun though.

yes you have to leave sealant on the paint work for a while as with wax. this is because they have a bonding agent in them which need to bond to the paint to provide the protection. once you have buffed it off, leave it for about half on hour, go and wipe it down again as it is still curing. with the zaino z2 you are meant to leave it on paint for an hour and then 24 hours once buffed off for it to cure, but u can get "zfx cure additive " for it which cut the 24 hours down to 20mins. much better.

also, when applying these products, try and do it out of sunlight, as it can dry to the paint and make it very hard to remove!

1st Gear

Status
    omg! u have scared me now... i did it yesterday so i can do the sealant but it says to leave it for a good hour... is this the case? and will it be ok to do considering i cleaned her yesterday???
    You apply the EGP after SRP, and yes put on a nice thin layer and leave it for an hour before you buff it off. Then leave it 24 hours and repeat or just add another layer of EGP the next time you wash the car.

HTHs.
    A3 2.0TDi Sport, Mauritius Blue, Xenons, Black Leather/Alcantara, BOSE, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors, Light/Rain Sensor Pack, Interior Light Pack, Armrests.

2nd Gear

Status

Sorry, didn't mean to be alarmist! It's not a problem but I wouldn't leave it like that, especially over winter. Plus, the sealant / wax combo means it'll be much easier to keep clean which is great news for a black car. To put that into perspective, I find that the foam lance will get the car surprisingly clean so that I don't always need to physicaly touch the car for a clean, which means you're reducing the likelihood of swirls.

Yes, you need to leave the sealant on for an hour or so. I think AG say 30mins minimum.

I'd probably leave it until next cleaning session TBH. Even though it was only washed yesterday, you've probably got dust and dirt on it already and you don't want to be dragging that over the paintwork, especially on a dark car.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Interior Next!!

Status
    its sorted the car was clean, i ran a micrfiber over lightly to get rid of any dust then applied egp.. im planning to wax it on the weekend.. shall i do both these stages again or will clean and wax be ok???
    S

2nd Gear

Status
    Clean and wax will be ok. Pics will be needed, obviously.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Interior Next!!

Status
    change of plan... ive decided.. i am going to order a foam lance and some snow foam... ive just read it gets rid of bug remains... i did get rid of most of them but not all and i have serious reservations about continuously using AG Intensive tar remover to do it! am worried what long term effects it could have..

so once i got my lance and foam.. ill go through the motions once again hopefully getting everything in this time.. so more likely to have pics up sunday week.. will keep u posted!
    S

1st Gear

Status
    its sorted the car was clean, i ran a micrfiber over lightly to get rid of any dust then applied egp.. im planning to wax it on the weekend.. shall i do both these stages again or will clean and wax be ok???
    Clean and wax is fine, however...

change of plan... ive decided.. i am going to order a foam lance and some snow foam... ive just read it gets rid of bug remains... i did get rid of most of them but not all and i have serious reservations about continuously using AG Intensive tar remover to do it! am worried what long term effects it could have..

so once i got my lance and foam.. ill go through the motions once again hopefully getting everything in this time.. so more likely to have pics up sunday week.. will keep u posted!
    Snow Foam will help shift bugs. I find it best to cover the car in foam when dry, let it dwell for say 5 mins then blast off. You'll still need to wash the car with your mitt but the bugs should be easier to get off. I find Quixx Bug Remover works well and doesn't strip off my wax which AG Tar Remover would.

Once you've snow foamed and washed, I would suggest if starting again you clay, polish with AG SRP then either seal with AG EGP or get a wax.

Remember AG SRP and AG EGP works great on alloys!
    A3 2.0TDi Sport, Mauritius Blue, Xenons, Black Leather/Alcantara, BOSE, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors, Light/Rain Sensor Pack, Interior Light Pack, Armrests.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    bloody ell ever heard of elbow grease get stuck in there lad .... then rince and wax

2nd Gear

Status
    As ahaydock says, the foam will help to remove the bugs but it won't remove all of them.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport