New 1.4TFSi from a 2.0TDi?

ahaydock

Reaction score
I have a 2.0 TDI (140 BHP) A3 and am looking at a new one and just wonder what the 1.4 TFSI is like?

Unfortunately neither of my local dealers have a 1.4 to drive. There is about a £2K saving going for the 1.4 TFSI over the 2.0 TDI which is very tempting...

I don't do huge miles and TBH don't really rag my cars so I think the cost of running will be negligible but I do worry I'll miss the Torque of my Diesel (although that said I'd be driving my GFs 1.2 VW Fox for a few months whilst I wait so anything will seem powerful after that LOL).

Any thoughts?

I have just come from a MK5 Golf GT Sport TSI 170 to an Audi A3 2.0L TDI 140 DSG, although the TSI 170 didn't have as much torque as the TDI the TSI would spank my A3 all over the shop.

I did a mini review someone over on UK MKIV's, I'll try find it for you..

Now then,

If you have driven the TDI 170 then you will know that it has plenty of torque and pulls very strong. The TSI doesn't put you in the seat as hard as the TDI but, while your shifting up at 4K in the TDI the TSI will keep on pulling and pulling all the way until it hits 7K on the redline.

Don't get me wrong though, the TSI does have plenty of torque and does put you in the seat and pulls very strong, mine surprises me when I blip the throttle and it shoves you into the seat.

The supercharger is working from the moment you blast the ‘go’ pedal you'll experience no lag at all. The charger then cuts out at around 3.5K roughly and the turbo takes over and this is where you will notice lots more pull and torque, again it’s not as hard as the TDI but there is plenty there to make use of. The maximum pulling power is at 6K so I have never been past this in my TSI, I did do in the demonstrator but for the extra 1K revs to 7K it’s not worth squeezing that little bit more revs from the engine when you can shift up and instantly be in the power band again.

The handling of the TSI is brilliant and the fun factor definitely comes into play on the twisty B roads, with its high revving engine and the great handling you can have some good fun with this car. In the TDI 170 you could too but I should imagine the TDI could be a little bit nose heavy with the diesel lump up front? I maybe wrong here as I have not had the pleasure of belting around some B roads in a TDI 170. The quality of the ride in the TSI is stiff but not uncomfortable, but you will know this anyway from owner the older GT.

My TSI is currently on 32.7 MPG over an average of 550 miles, but this is all city driving. I don't do motorway runs at all as I have no need to, I have been down the motorway once in it and that was to Grimsby and I think I averaged about 39mpg which for a petrol car with 170 horses is not bad at all and that wasn't driving it steady all the time.

Motorway cruising is effortless and if you go for the cruise option you can set it at 70mph and you’re not even pulling 3K revs’ making it a very quiet motor.
This is purely for excitement value but, you can here plenty of whooshing and tsshhhing noises from the supercharger and the turbo and when you’re giving it some beans you also get a nice note from the exhaust. The 170 version of the GT Sport comes with the twin tailpipes by the way.

The car will get to 0.60 in around 7.8 seconds (I think) and it will send on to just shy of 140 mph. The TSI maybe a 1.4 but this isn’t any normal 1.4, it has the power of a Golf V5 and will ‘do’ plenty of cars on the road.

I think I have said pretty much there is to say now apart from, go test drive one!
Then come back you can tell us what you think of it because you might hate it, you just never know.

:icon_thumright:

That's a review of the 170 TSI which is fitted to the GT Sport TSI 170, the A3 is nearly, if not the same engine even though they have downgraded the power slightly to 160PS. Some of the information will be BS to you but some you should find useful as i compared it to a TDI.

Hope that helps, if it doesn't no worries.

The A3s dont have the same engine.

In the A3 its a turbo only with 125bhp, not turbo and supercharged like the engine you had in your Golf.

Just checked parkers and you are right.

*OP scrap the above then, it's not relevent.

Hey Ahaydock,

A mate of mine has the A3 1.4T and I have the 2.0TDI (140 - bluefinned to 175hp).
As lads do we have races from time to time. Unfortunately I wont be racing him in his 1.4T again. It was utterly destroyed by my TDI. I know mine is now considerably more powerful due to the remap however I would definately recommend that you consider getting your TDI remapped rather than change to 1.4T. It will put a massive smile on your face and you dont need to rag it to see a lot of torque.
I would love to see your face when you change from a 1.2 Fox to a remapped TDI.

Just all depends on what your looking to get out of your car?
Power? (TDI)
Torque (TDI)
Fuel Economy? (TDI)
Quietness? (TFSI)

The choice is yours to make, Ive made mine up!

Haven't driven the 1.4T to be able to make a real comparison but as PTTM wrote above, the only advantage of the 1.4T is quietness (beside the costs).
I can tell you that you'll definitely feel the difference if you compare it with the 2.0 TDI.
I drove a petrol 1.6 and 105HP Octavia and a diesel 1.9 and 101 HP Octavia. Man, the TDI one pulls very nice. the petrol one was very lazy.

Thanks guys - I am very tempted by it as I cannot justify the extra cost of the 2.0 TDi and don't do enough miles to make it pay.

My A3 has been re-mapped and I did like but at the end of the day I dont really race about so its no big deal to me.

I've driven the 1.4 TSI Golf 122 BHP and whilst not as powerful as my A3 it was still a pleasant drive.

Plus I can always get it remapped should I fell the need!

Thanks guys - I am very tempted by it as I cannot justify the extra cost of the 2.0 TDi and don't do enough miles to make it pay.

My A3 has been re-mapped and I did like but at the end of the day I dont really race about so its no big deal to me.

I've driven the 1.4 TSI Golf 122 BHP and whilst not as powerful as my A3 it was still a pleasant drive.

Plus I can always get it remapped should I fell the need!