Painting Calipers tomorrow, need advice please.

KeepItTidy

Reaction score
Im only planning on painting the front 2 calipers of my S3 8P for now.
I would like to use only one jack and maybe jack the whole front end up, I have a big enough jack,
I'm just not sure which is the best (and safest) place to do it? or maybe im over complicating things and i should just use 1 jacks on each side? (please also advise where I should do this)

Your suggestions will be much appreciated

your drive will be fine, if you dont have one, then where ever you park your car.

Jack one side up, pop wheel off and paint, what paint are you using???

once you have painted, leave for a few hours then put wheel back on and start on the other side. try to leave the car still for the paint to harden.

what colour are you going to do them? whats wrong with the black calipers?!

Im using a product called Duplicolor, the supplier says its good stuff, no come backs yet and he sells ALOT of the stuff. Gona try Paint both sides at the same time. I've got a few jacks so that shouldnt be to difficult. Going to try leave the car for 24 hours (recommended on the box) for it to harden.

I got the 18" RS4 rims on and the black calipers are very hidden behind those rims. And Seeing as my car is red I thought Red calipers Might look quite mean ';,;'
Wont see much of em but will give that non stock look :) (i hope)

Safest?

Not jacks... AXLE STANDS.

Jacks alone are not completely 'safe'... Although I do use them alone from time to time, you'll be leaving the car for a while, and you don't want anyone else 'leaning' on the car and 'shifting' the car on you...

Just my cautious advice...

Keith

once you have done the painting and left it to set for about and hour or two, you can put the wheels back on, carefully (with two people) and then take jacks away, car will be fine, if it rains you can cover the wheels up just in case!

once you have done the painting and left it to set for about and hour or two, you can put the wheels back on, carefully (with two people) and then take jacks away, car will be fine, if it rains you can cover the wheels up just in case!

Im doing this myself this week as is it supposed to be nice for a few days.

1) If you have a trolly jack, jack up car and place 2 axle stands under two front axles or jacking points and lower trolley jack, or use two jacks and jack both sides at same time then place on axle stands.

2) Remove 1 or both front wheels at same time depending on whether your doing one or both at the same time, my advice would be to do two wheels at a time, take off wheels then clean down calipers with wire brush/white spirit and brake cleaner/degreaser to remove all dust and crap.

I would also give your calipers a good scrubbing with wire whool to get them up nice and shiny and remove any rust or rough deposits.

3) Then start painting (im using hammerite smooth) with caliper paint or just hammerite in your choice of colour, try to build up the layers and not BLOB it on, you want a nice smooth coat with no drips.

Allow plenty of time between coats and just build it up until happy, careful not to get any on discs/pads etc.

4) Once happy allow a few hours to harden and carefully refit your wheels, i would allow at least 24 hours to fully harden and dry before using the car, as the heat will melt/chip the paint before fully cured.

You could apply a good few coats of protective wax such as poor boys wheel sealent to the calipers before refitting wheels as this will protect them further from the elements and will repel brake dust.

Then do the same again for the rear brakes, its a lengthy process but i would take my time and make sure you get it right.

How did people get on with the caliper painting, just need to decide on which product to use.

Black hamerrite worked a treat for me. I have used all sorts in the past even the halfords caliper paint.

I did one corner at a time , with the jack from the boot on my gravel drive ( put a piece of carpet down to stop it slipping ) waiting about 20 mins to go tacky and carefully put the wheel back on. Then moved to the next and so on.

Easy as pie , added audi dcals from ebay. Look sweet.