Help Audi A3 newbie

FUNKYCLIFF

Reaction score
Hiya fellow members im after a bit of advice if possible, I recently bought an Audi A3 2.0 FSI sport 2004 model with 68k on the clock the previous owner had loads work done including all the belts etc, the car starts up first and drives superb, after initially running it then turning off and starting again sometimes it takes 2 or maybe three turnovers for it to start but when it does it still runs perfect the owner made me aware of it at the time of sale, i was just wondering if anyone had an ideas on what it may be, i was thinking one of the coils maybe as i have read on here they are a common problem, he has already replaced 2 which i have the receipt for. If anyone has any thoughts what it could be it would be much appreciated, other than that im very happy with the car returning 45.3mpg on the motorway according to the DIS at 70/80 mph :blackrs4:

Audi A3 2.0 FSI Sport 2004 in black fully standard sport AT THE MOMENT but this site may change that :hubbahubba:

I have heard pof this problem so I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

My question is what has this site made you want to do to your car? ;)

Having seen all the lovely cars on here with the before and afters, its so easy to be tempted in to doing subtle mods, wheels bumper grill conversion etc, with my car being on the dark side (petrol model LOL) i can t really do remaps or anything like that :sign_unfair:

its not the coils because the car wouldnt run properly at all

Cheers for that i have it booked at my local mechanic on Monday to have some rear pads, so hopefully he can shed some light on it, i have read on here about problems with the in tank fuel pump would that be a possiblity or does the same apply it would run properly.

My old A4 1.8T has a similar problem, would start fine cold, but when it was warm not so much. I looked in the hand book and it actually said something like 'when the engine is hot the accelerator pedal may need to be slightly pressed to start the engine'
So i used to just give it a little tap and it would start alot quicker when hot

does it tick over when trying to start again or is it totally dead as if the immobiliser has kicked in?! because if immobiliser has kicked in, it will start then the revs drop down and shut engine off! this could happen if you have another set of keys on your key ring!

it ticks over when trying to start, it seems to only happen after the car has warmed up normally after the second or third go with a quick squeeze of the accelerator pedal it starts but on first start from cold it starts first i certianly dont get any driving issues

your ignition coils may be on their way out and starting to play up, if you take it to a garage and see if they can fault code it!!

Cheers Gixxer i will do i know 2 have been replaced becaus ethe guy i bought it from gave a wad of bills for work done etc and 2 were replaced when he had the cambelt and stuff done so the other 2 could start to play up

your ignition coils may be on their way out and starting to play up, if you take it to a garage and see if they can fault code it!!

i had a coil go and when it does the engine management light comes on and the car DOES NOT RUN PROPERLY at all from starting the car up to turning it off it gerks crap power etc untill the coil is replaced if its the coils im on about theres 4 of them i cant see it being this because your car would run like a bog o shyte..... it may be the timing of the engine or something else

did they replace the water pump when they done the cambelt, what if the coils haven't 'gone' just on their way out and starting to deteriorate? they will cause a bit of problem but not major, mine came up on the fault code saying they will need to be change soon as they are wearing down and could cause start up problems but car will drive fine!

cheers for all your input guys (much appreciated) hopefully my mechanic can diagnose whats going on when i drop it off for having my rear brake pads fitted, he has one of those vag com things that he used when he found a fault on my previous A4 TDi, just on side note is anyone running 19s on their A3 if so how do they find the ride ???? :sign_plug:

im running 18's but people find 19's fine on the a3, i much prefer the look of 19s but i need 18's due to terrible roads round here

Cheers for that i have a brand new set of 235/35/19 tyres that i had kept for my now written off A4 so i thought get a nice set of 19 inch rims for these tyres and put them straight on rather than spending extra money on a 18 inch package

what wheels are you looking for, have you looked at the 09 shape rs6 alloys, they are really nice!

I was actually thinking about them i saw the pictures of SP38s blue a3 with them and i thought i fancy those, will have to save some pennies and see what i can get for my sport wheels and tyres :racer: