Rear pad replacement at 35000km?!?!?!?...

Gryphon001

Reaction score
So about a month ago I took my car to a low speed 3km track. about a week after that I start hearing a constant fingernails on a chalk board sound from my brakes when rolling at low speed. After about a week of the sound I took it to the dealership. The car was test driven and the mechanic claimed he didn't hear the sound, even though I heard the squeeling when he pulled back into the lot. So the car goes into the shop and about 20 minutes later service rep comes out and says 'We can't find anything wrong with the brakes, all I can suggest is to do a brake service on it." About 1.5 hours of labout or $170... told them to go ahead and left. Came back about an hour and a half later and get handed an invoice for $275... WTF?!?!

Apparently they found that the rear pads had separated from the backing plates and were constantly rubbing on the rotors. Since they knew about the track day they blamed it on that saying that it overheated the pads and charged me for the parts and labour. (apparently the labour for replacing the rear pads is the same as for doing a full brake service....:shrug:) Got a bit ****** off that I wasn't consulted, since I would have replaced the pads with the Hawk HPS if given the chance.

Now about a week after that I came off the highway where my speed was between 100-140km/hr for about 3-4km. As I stop I smell burning brakes... a guy pulls up beside me and says that my brakes were practically on fire and I was apparently trailing smoke from my wheels on the highway. Sure enough there is a blue stripe down the centre of my rotors.

Car goes to the dealership again... 'We can't find anything wrong with the brakes. Take the car and go home.':banghead: Instead I took it to a friend of mine who has a shop about 1km from the dealership and after a 2 minute test drive he measured the brakes... the fronts were about 65C(150F) and the rear rotors were 107C(225F) ... yet again WTF?!?!?!?

Has anyone else ever had a simmilar issue with their brakes. The dealership said they would be calling Audi today to find out if they had ever heard of anything like this before but I don't put too much faith in them anymore. Audi Canada is pretty much useless too because I called them last week to complain about the initial brake service and they have been 'gathering information' for the last week and a half.

... Before someone mentions this ... NO I DID NOT HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE UP.

:sos: Any input would be appreciated.

... oh, and by the way there doesn't appear to be any problems with the front brakes.

Not heard of problems like this on the 8P to be honest mate!

What do you mean by:
Sure enough there is a blue stripe down the centre of my rotors.

Not the greatest pic but you can tell where the 'blue' metal is. I basically meant that there is a strip along my rotors where the metal had overheated and turned 'blueish' from excessive heat.

DSC_01002.jpg

Dealer kept trying to tell me that this may have happened because the pads were still 'seating' themselves...

I see. All I can suggest is to demand that someone comes with you on a long drive and get them to measure the temps before and after. Or wait until they start smoking again!

Not sure if this is related in any way, but at my 4 year-old Sportback's second service at around 34,000 miles the dealer advised that the rear brake pads needed replacing. You would have thought that the fronts would wear out first but not so! Decided not to take any risks so got them replaced.

Mine had only less than 22K miles on it when this happened and the pads that came off initially had at least 50-60% left on them... Than I have no idea why the rear brakes would have been smoking and overheating.

Sounds to me like the caliper's ceased but a mechanic should find that.