Engine note

NorthernSoul

Reaction score
I've had my 09 2.0TFSI for around 3 months now. Have to say I'm a little disappointed at the tone of the engine.

It's almost a diesel sound on start up...don't get me wrong I don't want it to sound chavvy...just a hint of growl would do me..

I use to have an ST so guess I was spoilt on that front...lovely burble to that engine without being over the top..

Apart from a few other minor quibbles..(storage spaces, ipod dock)...I'm loving the car..

I agree about the sound. I don't know am I being paranoid, or my car really sounds like a tractor when i turn it off.

Yup,they're not the greatest sounding engines are they? I agree they do sound diesel like!

Maybe get a Milltek,it'll disguise the sound a bit,without being chavvy?

I have read previously that the TFSI are known as being 'tappity' and agree with your comments. In fact, I am pretty much in the same mind as you about it and considered the Milltek - except I can't justify the price just to improve the sound, especially when there are so many other mods to spend on. It maybe just in my head, but the engine and exhaust note has definatley seemed to have improved after mapping; but, again that's more money thrown at the car. It is such a shame especially when you consider the note from other 4 pots - the new Cooper S for one sounds great.

Glad it's not just me then !

Anyone got a rough idea for the Milltek...?

Also considered a Custom Code remap but had second thoughts due to
price + warranty concerns.

Glad it's not just me then !

Anyone got a rough idea for the Milltek...?

Also considered a Custom Code remap but had second thoughts due to
price + warranty concerns.

This thread is the best I have seen with a break down of all variants (TBE, Cat back, etc). Pretty recent too.

Thanks for that..not prepared to pay that sort of money just for a nicer sound...

May have to reconsider the remap again..

This is almost amusing after the bashing diesels get on here for the noise they make.

Thats not aimed at anyone thats posted in here so far BTW, as I dont recall any of you making those comments :o.k:

I love sports exhausts and have always fitted them to my cars in the past (apart from the clio V6). However, I don't think I'm going to do anything to my Audi as the V6 seems to provide a rather nice noise without doing anything else.

So there you go, remove your 2.0 and drop a 3.2 in ;)

...However, I don't think I'm going to do anything to my Audi as the V6 seems to provide a rather nice noise without doing anything else...

Not had much experience of the V6 in an A3, but the R32 sounds fantastic. :icon_thumright: