My new A3 - the story so far...

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having been waiting since March for my new A3, there was some doubt right up to the last minute whether I would be able to collect it on Friday afternoon. As I have a personal registration plate I had applied, some weeks ago, to have the number put on retention so that the retention certificate could be used to register the car with my number. Unfortunately the certificate had not arrived on Wednesday, so the dealer had to allocate an ordinary number and I had to phone my insurance company to get a revised insurance certificate showing the new number so that the dealer could register the car. This was sent out by Special Delivery to arrive by 12 noon on Friday. After an agonising wait on Friday morning it finally arrived at 11:20 and I took it straight to the dealer and arranged to come back at 16:00 to collect the car.

I arrived back at the dealer at about 15:50, said my farewell to my A3 1.8T Sport and went in. To my relief the car and all the paperwork were all ready. My salesman was actually on holiday but I dealt with the Sales Manager. We talked about GAP Insurance which I had already decided I would take out and managed to get a discount by showing him some of the prices I could get on the internet.

It was then out to the car and a run through of all the controls including the DSG gearbox and the new rain sensing wipers, automatic lights etc.

It was then time to drive away - start the engine, foot on the brake, engage D and away. I had already driven a demonstrator for a day so I had some idea what to expect. Rather gently to start with down to the first roundabout. Must remember not to try and press the clutch pedal ! Takes some getting used to after driving with a manual gearbox for the last 38 years. Anyway it all seems to work OK and before I know it I'm onto the A1 and on the way home. I decided to turn off and take it through the lanes rather than stay on the dual carriageway. After I turned off I changed to Sport mode. The car feels really lively and responsive in this mode, much the same as my 1.8T but the gear changes are still very smooth. The suspension feels much better than the 1.8T and the variable assistance on the steering feels fine.

Near where I live are some 'road calming' cushions and the 1.8T was never very happy going over these but the new one just takes them in it's stride, very well cushioned and quiet. I then arrived home, remembered to put it in park, handbrake on and turned off the engine.

It was now time to look round the car. Mine is an A3 2.0 TDI SE with the DSG gearbox in Silver with the Light Grey cloth interior. The SE package comes with quite a few extra goodies and I have added some options. The full SE spec includes Automatic dimming rear view mirror, Concert II radio/CD player, Cruise control, Electronic Climate Control, Front centre arm rest, Interior light pack, Lighting and rain sensor pack, Storage pack. It also has the 3 spoke leather steering wheel with the DSG gear shift paddles.

To this I have added:
6 CD auto-changer mounted in the glovebox
Acoustic parking system
Auto dimming side mirrors
Driver Information System
Front fog lights
Luggage pack - to get the 12v socket in the boot
Non-smoking pack
Walnut rather than Vavona decorative inlays.

The Light Grey interior and the Walnut do in fact look good together. I had originally asked for black inlays but the option was discontinued for the 2005 model year. I'm very impressed with the quality of the interior. Each Audi I buy seems to be better than the previous one. So far I'm very impressed and I am happy with all my choices.

That's the story so far. I do hope you don't find it boring. I will continue when I have had more chance to drive the car and put it through it's paces and get to grips with the DSG. I will also post some pictures soon.

Nice one mate! I bet your really happy!

The Car sounds really nice. Looking forward to some pics!

Enjoy,
Rich.

Nice write up David, there's nothing more satisfying than picking up a new car(used car even) and driving it for the first time knowing its all yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enjoy it mate.

Grrrrrrrr .......****** jealous now!!! Te...he

Sounds the Dawgs Doodahs, I'd be interested on the next instalment c/w photos if possible...

The rain sensitive wipers will take some getting used to though....I thought they were not working on my dads Bora...start the engine, flick the intermittent programmer over to full and back and Aye Voila...Rain sensitive wipers!! And they work too....I liked that.. Let me know how you find consumption though with an Automatic, just out of curiosity...

Congrats all round, Nice One!!!!