Removable Towbar Help!

Bailey

Reaction score
Hi people, i am thinking of putting a removable towbar on my A3 and i need help where i can get one from and how to do it.

I have a 2005 2.0 TDI sport, here is a picture of the rear.

12062009071.jpg

I got quoted £1300 for towbar and fitting from audi dealership today and theres no chance i am paying that much.

Any help would be appriciated.

Cheers

Bailey

You may wish to change your lower valence to make a nice tidy job, below is a copy of ETKA with the part number, it will need colour coding:-

tow.jpg

The fitting of the tow bar itself should be fairly straight forward, you will need to remove the rear bumper, should be too difficult, may need to remove both rear lights.
A good website for parts which VAG use as standard id:-

http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/index.php?id=6&L=1

Best sticking with specific vehicle wiring kits which integrate with can bus. The above web site gives PDF instructions on both tow bar and electrics when you search for your vehicle

Thanks for the info there pns2007. I will check it out!

Hi Mate,

I live in Uttoxeter and recently had a fixed towbar fitted at ALLFIT in Lichfield. They are great. I had a quote for my A3 1.9 TDi 54 plate and it came in at around £450 all in for a detatchable with twin electrics.

I umed and arrd for ages and decided to go fixed beacuse it was only £275 all in. They have done a great job. I asked some people on here their opionion and I got some great advice about certain relays etc that should be fitted. They did that too!

To be honest the fixed doesnt look too bad. I would have prefered the detatachable but you need a pannel from Audi (ALLFIT provide these) to hide the hole in you bumper so I thought if I have that I might as well have a fixed.

Let me know if you need a number or want to have a look at the job done. Cheers, Gav

I would be so disheartened to see an a3 pulling a trailer, just buy a cheap old car with a tow bar already, it would probably work out cheaper.

I would be so disheartened to see an a3 pulling a trailer, just buy a cheap old car with a tow bar already, it would probably work out cheaper.

Unlucky mate. I tow a caravan with my A3! Its brilliant. Only the 1.9 TDi but a great tow car.

You have to understand that not all caravanners are boring slow towers. I am proud to have a caravan on the back of my A3, just proves even more the car's capabilities!

:arco: