AIR BAG light on, what did I do ?

jb111s

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help ?
I replaced my interior with s-line headlining today so had to rip pretty much everything out & unscrew the rear seat belt bars in order to thread the seatbelt through the new b pillars.
I also replaced the main light switch in the centre with a newer unit, but this didn't have the passenger airbag warning light but had the same plug.
Now when I fire the car up the AIR BAG light stays on. I'm taking it to get eibachs fitted & rs6 alloys tonight, but wonder if anyone knows if I've done something obviously wrong to cause it to come on ? I didn't disconnect the battery during this & was very careful around the roof airbags.
Any ideas ?

Needs to be plugged in really to vag-com (or diagnostic) to see what the reason is... prob the best way..

That's what I thought. Will get the garage to do tonight. Am thinking it might be the seat belt pretensioner ? Do you think it's because I took the seat belts out it recognised the extra slack & therefore fired off the warning ?

Its probably because you didn't disconnect the battery. If you now try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins it should clear the error unless there is still some outstanding fault.

Well just got back from the garage. It threw up an alarm about the passenger airbag warning light being dead. This is because the new light unit didn't have the airbag warning light built in (obviously changed this is newer audi's). Have now got to strip the old one down & put the internals in the new case, just hiding the bulb & it should be ok.