Pro Alloy Intercooler (S3) - Fitting and Results with Pictures

tobycruse

Reaction score
As some of you may know a while back I took my car to Pro Alloy to have a larger more efficient intercooler made and fitted to my S3.

Pro Alloy is run by two guys, Wayne and Alex. Both of them are really nice and knowledgeable, talking to them for the first time I knew my car was in good hands!

When Pro Alloy first had a look at the OEM intercooler set-up on the S3 they immediately realised they didn't have much space to work with. They almost aborted the project all together as they didn't think they could improve much on the original cooler.

But upon closer investigation they realised they could make an intercooler approximately 10% - 12% bigger and one much more efficient in design. By this I mean it would cool more efficiently by letting air pass though it, both across the fins and through the cooler itself more effectively.

So fabrication begun and before i knew it the new intercooler was fitted and testing began. Wayne begun data logging the manifold temps and comparing them to ambient temps. The results were impressive!

OEM Intercooler Results
Ambient Temp 26C
Inletmanifold Temp 36C :eek:

Pro Alloy Intercooler Results
Ambient Temp 26C
Inletmanifold Temp 28C :D

Only 2C above ambient! :rock:

At this point I came to collect the car and take it for a drive myself. The difference was amazing! The car had much better throttle response and is so much more keep through the rev range.

Though the car "felt" better, I needed the actual power figures! So off to AmD I went. Had a 4 wheel alignment and two runs on the rollers!

Before the new intercooler:
365 Bhp 345 lb/ft @ 10.5C

Pro Alloy intercooler
372 Bhp 353 lb/ft @ 20.1C

The most amazing thing about these results is that the car produced more power when the ambient temperature was 10C hotter! The guys were speculating that had the ambient temperature been the same the car would have been making closer to the 380 Bhp mark!

Here you can see that the inlet pipes are much smoother, allowing air to enter and leave the cooler much more efficiently. Also, you can see how much bigger the Pro Alloy cooler it.
PICT7147.JPG

PICT7156.JPG

A/C radiator in front of the cooler.
PICT7173.JPG

The power figures at last!
16.06.09%20Remap.jpg

how come there is a big loss in wheel power? on dyno sheet its says:

before intercooler

engine pow: 365bhp
wheel pow: 303bhp

after intercooler

engine pow: 372bhp
wheel pow: 274bhp

before intercooler

after intercooler

before intercooler

after intercooler

The machine was calibrated differently on each run, there is no loss of wheel power!

Good results! How much would it cost to have fitted though?

Great Result! Intercooler looks a lot bigger than the standard one.
Bet the car feels a lot better now! IF you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?
Great Car Toby when will the modding stop ha!
Enjoy the car

Thanks

Ashley

Price is ??????

Its being sorted out between AmD and Pro Alloy.... So watch this space!

I would be interested as i was going to get an S3 FMIC fitted as part of my rebuild but need a price.