A question about S3 "inspection service".

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My S3 had it's oil change at about 14k miles. The service indicator is now telling me it's due its first service (19k).

I have been around phoning for quotes but have only got through to one dealership so far. Initially she told me it would cost £210.89, I asked what it included and she said an oil change. I told her the oil change had been done so she went away to find out. She then came back and said that it's an inspection service and it will be £142.25, which includes £22 for the pollen filter (due at 20k).

Is this right? Am I really going to have to pay someone £120 just to give my car a once over, even though it was done when the oil was changed? :keule:

Thanks!

Hmmm, weird.
My car was on long life and never 'told' me to go for an early oil change.
It had it's first service at about 18k miles and they did the lot for about £250 I think (London rates!), they said the oil looked like new and it hadn't used s drop ;).
With regards yopur situation.... I'd ask to speak to a tech. My guess would be you'll need to get the oil charged again... who's to say when they reset the counter that it'll be another 15k miles tell it tells you to go back, meaning 20k miles till it see's fresh oil????

Not meaning to hijack this thread but think I'm possibly in the same boat? mine's done just over 4k miles since new (bought as ex demo), in the trip computer it says next oil change 4500 miles to go, but next service due another 16000 miles. Yet my service History Check Cetificate says the following: Date of Next service 09/01/2010 / Next Service Mileage 19000 miles or when the variable servicing light comes on. Can anyone shed some light on this - presuming I too will need 2 lots of oil change potentially?

I was talking to the Service manager when my car was in for it's first service and he says that the second service is just an inspection and a pollen filter change as per OP.

I've got the same 'problem' , my car says the service is due in 2000 miles, then it says an oil change is due 200 miles later.

BUt according to the service schedule in the service info book, this service includes an oil change, so it cant possibly need another one 200 miles later.

I have got through to 2 other dealers and when I said my oil change had been done they said "Oh so you'll just need the inspection service then".

I managed to get Milton Keynes down to £112.45 from £143.47 and then Bedford to match it (at a struggle apparently), down from £144.05.

The oil change definitely doesn't need doing at the same time guys don't worry about it. If the mileage is close then do it together, if not do them separately.

My oil service indicator is counting down separately by the way Jamie. I think it's got another 8k miles.

Still not happy about the cost though but it's 1.1 hours labour apparently.

OK... so now I'm confused.... my car doesn't have a seperate oil indicator... i have a service indicator count down and that's it!
Weird!!!

You must be on the fixed service plan then. Although then your first service would have been at 12k!

Maybe it's a MY09 thing :uhm:

Maybe a MY08 thing as may car was delivered March '07 so MY07.
I'm deffo on long life variable servicing, but my car doesn't have a seperate oil service! Ohh well, cheaper servicing for me ;)

I'm deffo on long life variable servicing, but my car doesn't have a seperate oil service! Ohh well, cheaper servicing for me ;)

Same as MY07 and I am on AVS (first service at 2 year point as I didn't meet the mileage and is currently counting down 300 odd days). There is only one service indicator and no separate oil life counter, so I guess it must be a revision before you got yours Staz. :think:

my oct 07 car has the two seperate service indicators.

Mine's June 07 and it only has one service indicator. I'm on the AVS but it seems a bit of joke really. The cars 2 years old at the end of this month and I've had 2 AVS services already! The first was when the car was exactly 1 year old at 10,000 miles and the second was two months ago at 24,000 miles. Both services were over £240 so not that cheap for an annual oil change. I did question the timing of the second service, as the car had only gone 10 months with 12,000 miles, but the answer was that the service indicator determines the timing of the service so there was nothing wrong. I'm wondering now if I'd be better off on fixed services having the cheaper oil/cheaper services yearly.

I've never been a fan of variable servicing myself. The service book outlines everything at a fixed mileage or age, yet the handbook says to go by the onboard computer which inevitably doesn't match the service book mileage recommendations. For example, a year or so back at 30k miles my AVS display says I need a service. So I was torn between going for an interim 20k service or a full-on 40k service as outlined in the service book. The Audi garage said it was my choice and refused to advise me.

The AVS display is really just an oil change indicator - nothing more. Though it sounds from reading the above posts that newer A3's have a 2nd service indicator to overcome this conundrum. This seems to fly in the face of Audi's claims that variable servicing reduces the number of trips to the garage!

Yeah I meant MY08, doh.

It comes to about the same price for both mate, it's just a pain that you have to go there twice!

my oct 07 car has the two seperate service indicators.

Oct 07 will be a MY08 as mine is mate.

The service manager guy said that my car was built close to the time of changing from having one service counter to two. It was built on 23/05/08.

Apparently, the change was made so that the dealers could sort out any warranty issues at an earlier date - rather than waiting for two years inbetween seeing the car. I took this to mean carrying out any recall work on the quiet!

The service manager guy said that my car was built close to the time of changing from having one service counter to two. It was built on 23/05/08.
I don't think he's correct there. I picked up my car on 21st April 08 and the car had already been in the UK for 2 months.

yep mine was built in aug/sept 07 and has the two service counters.