Number plate light - fuse gone?

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi,

I got the warning on my DIS that my number plate light was out last week (both lights). Just got round to doing it today and as I replaced the bulbs (type 239) they wouldn't work.

I made sure that the metals were touching and I can't think of anything else.

Possibly a fuse blown? If so, how do I repair it?

Thanks,
Jonny

The simple answer would be to replace the fuse, but looking at the list of fuses for the A3 there is not one which just covers the number plate lights so if everything else is working it cannot be that.

The most likely is an earth problem. Could you try running a wire from the bulb holders to a known good earth and see what happens.

in your manual theres a graph saying what all the fuses are for look in that for an idea of which one to change///...

in your manual theres a graph saying what all the fuses are for look in that for an idea of which one to change///...

But thats the problem. The number plate lights are not listed in the list of fuses for either the under-bonnet fuses or the end of dash fuses. The number plate lights are probably covered by a fuse which covers a lot of items and they are not listed individually. Fuse No 1 in the end of dash panel fuses covers the lighting switch, but if all the other lights are working the fuse must be OK.

The only other way, all be it rather laborious, would be to take out each fuse in turn and make sure it's OK. You can see quite easily if one of them has blown. There is a small fuse removing tool clipped to the inside of the panel at the end of the dash that is removed to get at the fuses.

Oh see what you mean dave thats a weird one eh , It maybe a loose connection to the numberplate in that case boot trim off and check that to ...

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Weirdly enough, I got in the car this morning and the warning had went from the DIS. Checked the lights and the right one was working. Removed the left one, gave the metal prongs a little wiggle and they're both working fine now :)