Chris NottAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160

    Retrofit Cruise - ESP problem

    Hi Guys,

    I have fitted the stalk and a new steering ECU, I went from the A version to the F.

    All electronics for the stalks are working but the power steering isn't working correctly, am feeling like am fighting it.

    I have looked at the ABS ECU and this is saying the G85 no basic setting etc.

    I get the feeling i need to re-calabrate the steering ecu for the basic settings but in vag-com am not getting the message about the centring the wheel etc.

    So questions are, is the slip ring the same between A and F ecu versions or should it have been changed ?

    What is the real proper why of calabrating the ESP steering etc... at the moment if i look at the steering angle i dont get anything, one thing is saying about steering init?

    Any help apperated!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    You will need to change the slip ring to 1K0959653 D if you dont have that revision. Others may work too but that is the correct one for version F of the steering ECU.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    Ah that makes sense! I decided to put the old ecu the A version back in to check that i hadn't damaged the slip ring and the power steering cam eback to life.

    When checking the fault code the steering ecu reported an incorrect coding so i decided to change it to cruise control to see what would happen and it worked!

    So didn't need to change the ecu after all... so i have a rev F ecu spare....

    Oh well...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  5. #4
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    I see MFSW is on your shopping list - i'd hold on to your rev F as you will need it for that.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    I just bought the slip ring on ebay... so think i'll change it over to the new ecu and slip ring...

    Is there anything else to change for the MFSW?

    And will this slip ring work with the steering wheel as it is, can i just swap them and it all work???

    Cheers for your help!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  7. #6
    just017's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    438
    sijones, how did you find out what cruise control stalk you need?

    I'm looking to buy but havn't a clue where i start. I have the MFSW if that helps.

    And out of 10, how hard was the mod?

    Thanks matey
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    The stalk was the easiest thing about it!

    The stalk i bought off ebay, it was a box kit that has the stalk plus control wire and cable ties.

    To be honest it's not hard once you understand what your doing, this may sound stupid but once i stripped it and put it back together i cud do this mod in 30 mins tops now.

    If your car is after July 2005 then the control wire is already in the harness so that's one less job to do.

    All you do is:

    Disconnect the battery, and make sure the steering is straight.

    Undo the 2 (T25) hex screws on the steering wheel (on back left an right), the airbag will lift from the steering wheel, there isnt much play with the wire behind, as you look at the connector it has a plug in the plug, you'll see 2 slots either side, stick a small flat blade in an pull it gently out, then pull the whole connector out of the back of the airbag.

    Then on the inner of the steering wheel there is a plug above the bolt holding the steering wheel, on top is a white bit that's spring loaded, gently pull the top bit and then the plug will come off. The plug is actually plugged into the slip ring, but you dont realise this to you take the wheel off.

    Then undo the M12 (Spline Type) bolt, Just remove the bolt, do not pull the steering wheel it will come off, it's not like old style where it was wedged on.

    Take a good look at the middle, and you will see 2 marks, one on the steering wheel and one on the steering rack. Perhaps take a photo if you can so you have a referance, on mine the steering wheel mark was slightly to the left of the rack mark. Once you know, pull the wheel off...

    remove the bottom cowelling, i removed the top as well just to give more light around the area, but i dont really think you need to, the bottom cowelling needs the steering column adjuster handle removing.

    Your then looking at the slip ring, now as everyone says to be really careful not to move it etc etc, but i found that it locks once the wheel is off and will only move a small amount either way, but to be safe i used insulation tape and placed that over it to stop movement.

    At bottom of the slip ring is a T8 screw, remove it... Now the steering ECU to remove.

    Remove the 2 connectors at the back, to do this the main (big black one) one has a plastic clip that's red and with a flat blade is pulled out which allows you then to push a another clip behind down and pull the black plug out, sounds complicated but it's easy when you see it. The other connector is a spring loaded clip, push it away from the ecu and the plug will come out.

    Now between the main black plug and the small other plug there is a plastic latch, with one hand gently pulling the ecu down, use a finger to find the latch and release, if you see another ecu you'll find it easier! would be wise, i can take a photo if you want so you can see this.

    There is another latch that is suppose to be released from the front, apparently you can use a 2.3 mm drill bit, there's a hole that you push it down to release, but i found it easier once released the back clip to put a small flat blade scre driver down the iginition barrel towards the steering wheel side an poke a little till it released. (Worked for me but dont forget there is lots of things you could brake if not careful).

    The ecu should pull downwards off the rack with these 2 clips released.

    At top of wheel there is 2 clips holding slip ring in place, unclip an the slip ring will pull off.

    Remove the ESP steering sensor at the bottom and put out the way, i found it was lose and could be hit while moving things etc, so i removed it just to be safe.

    The indicator stalk is held be a plastic clip at the left back, i used a screwdriver to pill this while pulling the stalk forward away from dash, it seemed like it was being held, but with a little tug it came off.

    Push new one in place and reverse above, dont forget esp sensor, push ecu back in, slip ring on, T8 screw in, steering wheel, plugs etc, bolt, airbag plug, screw airbag in and your done!

    If you need the control wire, it goes to pin 13 on steering main black plug, and pin 4 on a blue connector under dash, the instructions say remove the connector but using pin nose pliers i pushed it into the connector in place, simply because i couldn't for the life of me get the connector out as it's in the most akward place and no room for tools really to undo it...

    Hope it helps!
    Last edited by sijones; 14th June 2009 at 21:01.
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    You'll need a new bottom cover and the engine ecu and steering ecu reprogrammed with vag-com or a stealler...

    I have my own vag-com so just reprogrammed them myself... am sure there is loads of people on here that will be near you that could help with that.. or if your near me i can help.
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  10. #9
    just017's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    438
    Wow thanks mate, that is a defo bookmark for when the mod comes to play.

    How do i know when my car was manufactured? It was first registered on 14th Sept 2005.

    And finally sorry, do you have the prodict code for the stalk?

    Thanks
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

  11. #10
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by sijones View Post
    I just bought the slip ring on ebay... so think i'll change it over to the new ecu and slip ring...

    Is there anything else to change for the MFSW?

    And will this slip ring work with the steering wheel as it is, can i just swap them and it all work???

    Cheers for your help!
    Depending on what you get included when you buy the wheel/airbag, I believe you may need a new bit of wiring from the wheel to the ECU if you dont have DSG but not 100% sure though. It all then needs coding but you have vagcom so you can deal with that ok. SDS will be you next mod after that LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  12. #11
    just017's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by just017 View Post
    Wow thanks mate, that is a defo bookmark for when the mod comes to play.

    How do i know when my car was manufactured? It was first registered on 14th Sept 2005.

    And finally sorry, do you have the prodict code for the stalk?

    Thanks
    bump bump
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

  13. #12
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    is it 8P0 953 513 ?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  14. #13
    just017's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    438
    Your guess is as good as mine. All ive been told is if its July 2005 onward. My car was first registered in September 2005 but how do i know when it was manufactured = What stalk is needed.

    Thanks for your help though mate
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

  15. #14
    pns2007's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    627
    This thread might give more info:-

    1K0 953 549 F

    post no. 11 has a link to a pdf file

  16. #15
    just017's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    438
    Yeah i saw that yesterday, in all honesty it didn't help atall lol. My car was first registered in Sept 05, so how do i know which version is mine.
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    Sorry been busy.. whats the rush?...

    As far as am aware the stalk is the same for all models, the kit I bought was 8PO 054 691, dont forget this is the number for the kit!

    And if you read my post, the date thing is only to do with a control wire that may need putting in if before 05/2005 not anything else...

    Am not an expert, I read and try and understand and then have a stab at it, as you can see, i got it wrong as had the old slip ring when it needed to be a newer, and this is really going to be what your gonna need to do...

    BUT if your not experianced with cars I would suggest you dont tackle it, I have been doing cars for 14 years so can generally work things out, i dont want to be responsible for anyone else's mess!

    Good luck!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  18. #17
    Joe90k's Avatar
    Speed doesn't Kill!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by sijones View Post
    The stalk was the easiest thing about it!

    If you need the control wire, it goes to pin 13 on steering main black plug, and pin 4 on a blue connector under dash, the instructions say remove the connector but using pin nose pliers i pushed it into the connector in place, simply because i couldn't for the life of me get the connector out as it's in the most akward place and no room for tools really to undo it...

    Hope it helps!
    Sorry to reserrect this thread, I am trying to find the plug that the blue wire goes into, the black plug on the steering control module has 8 wires in it and pin 13 has a black/white wire in it. The coding is complete and my module has accepted the code but when I move the stalk nothing changes on Vagcom to say that it is being registered. Therefore the blue wire is needed, BUT WHERE DOES IT GO STEERING COLUMN SIDE? If anyone has a pic and can help my fix it I will paypal them 5.00!!

    PLEASE HELP THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING ME NOW!!!

    TIA
    Joe


    Click above for my A3 Build thread!

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    Hi,

    What year is your car?

    If it's before July 05 then you will need the control wire.

    On the black plug look for the numbers, 1 end of the block has 10 on it and then count across to 13, there will be wires either side.

    The blue connector is behind the drivers side air duct, take the fuse board and relay board out an look up you will see it...

    Let me know how you get on...

    I didn't look in vag-com, i just change the ecu coding and steering ecu then test drove and it worked... as i say tho i did need the control wire...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  20. #19
    Joe90k's Avatar
    Speed doesn't Kill!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    229
    It's 2004 but the vin says its 2005. It has no space for the wire though which is the problem, it has a black/white wire in pin 13 should I remove it and run the control wire?

    I'm so confused with this atm. Why can't it be simple lol

    Joe


    Click above for my A3 Build thread!

  21. #20
    Joe90k's Avatar
    Speed doesn't Kill!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    229
    I took the fuseboard down and there is no blue plug at all. I then removed the wipers and no blue plug there either!!??? Whats going on??

    Joe


    Click above for my A3 Build thread!

  22. #21
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    I dont know the colour of the wire that's there if it's already in to be honest.

    Sounds stupid but the blue connector is there, it's obvoious when you spot it but didn't take me long, as i say once the relay board and fuse box is dropped it's like in line with the right hand air duct but behind it in the dash...

    Too late to say but there's no need to take anything out on the wiper side!

    you sure your looking at the correct row in the plug? make sure you identifiy the correct row, think it's numbered 10 one end and 16 other...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  23. #22
    Joe90k's Avatar
    Speed doesn't Kill!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    229
    The plug is definitely not there. The wire is there and is black/white as described on the later cars. However, I have just driven the car home and it works!!! Very strange? I drove home last night after my mate enabled it with VAG COM for me and nothing at all, but now it works perfectly!! YAY

    Thanks sijones for your help mate!
    Joe


    Click above for my A3 Build thread!

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    glad it's sorted!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  25. #24
    Gti Jazz Blue's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,654
    Just for reference my March 05 Registered 2.0TDi DSG S-Line already had the cable installed in the loom.

    Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

    VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    @Khufu

    When you mentioned the wire for the steering wheel stuff, do you know what the part number is?

    I have changed the slip rlip ring and ecu but the plug is different and cant plug the airbag and horn wiring in....

    Any help would be good, prefer the wiring with the MFSW if poss...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  27. #26
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    looking about might be 8j0 971 589 b but dont quote me LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  28. #27
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    Cheers, i'll ask Audi tomoz an see what comes up!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  29. #28
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    160
    that part apparently is for a flat bottom steering wheel and audi parts say there a different loom for the flat and round wheels.... oh well, good try...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

  30. #29
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by sijones View Post
    The stalk was the easiest thing about it!

    The stalk i bought off ebay, it was a box kit that has the stalk plus control wire and cable ties.

    To be honest it's not hard once you understand what your doing, this may sound stupid but once i stripped it and put it back together i cud do this mod in 30 mins tops now.

    If your car is after July 2005 then the control wire is already in the harness so that's one less job to do.

    All you do is:

    Disconnect the battery, and make sure the steering is straight.

    Undo the 2 (T25) hex screws on the steering wheel (on back left an right), the airbag will lift from the steering wheel, there isnt much play with the wire behind, as you look at the connector it has a plug in the plug, you'll see 2 slots either side, stick a small flat blade in an pull it gently out, then pull the whole connector out of the back of the airbag.

    Then on the inner of the steering wheel there is a plug above the bolt holding the steering wheel, on top is a white bit that's spring loaded, gently pull the top bit and then the plug will come off. The plug is actually plugged into the slip ring, but you dont realise this to you take the wheel off.

    Then undo the M12 (Spline Type) bolt, Just remove the bolt, do not pull the steering wheel it will come off, it's not like old style where it was wedged on.

    Take a good look at the middle, and you will see 2 marks, one on the steering wheel and one on the steering rack. Perhaps take a photo if you can so you have a referance, on mine the steering wheel mark was slightly to the left of the rack mark. Once you know, pull the wheel off...

    remove the bottom cowelling, i removed the top as well just to give more light around the area, but i dont really think you need to, the bottom cowelling needs the steering column adjuster handle removing.

    Your then looking at the slip ring, now as everyone says to be really careful not to move it etc etc, but i found that it locks once the wheel is off and will only move a small amount either way, but to be safe i used insulation tape and placed that over it to stop movement.

    At bottom of the slip ring is a T8 screw, remove it... Now the steering ECU to remove.

    Remove the 2 connectors at the back, to do this the main (big black one) one has a plastic clip that's red and with a flat blade is pulled out which allows you then to push a another clip behind down and pull the black plug out, sounds complicated but it's easy when you see it. The other connector is a spring loaded clip, push it away from the ecu and the plug will come out.

    Now between the main black plug and the small other plug there is a plastic latch, with one hand gently pulling the ecu down, use a finger to find the latch and release, if you see another ecu you'll find it easier! would be wise, i can take a photo if you want so you can see this.

    There is another latch that is suppose to be released from the front, apparently you can use a 2.3 mm drill bit, there's a hole that you push it down to release, but i found it easier once released the back clip to put a small flat blade scre driver down the iginition barrel towards the steering wheel side an poke a little till it released. (Worked for me but dont forget there is lots of things you could brake if not careful).

    The ecu should pull downwards off the rack with these 2 clips released.

    At top of wheel there is 2 clips holding slip ring in place, unclip an the slip ring will pull off.

    Remove the ESP steering sensor at the bottom and put out the way, i found it was lose and could be hit while moving things etc, so i removed it just to be safe.

    The indicator stalk is held be a plastic clip at the left back, i used a screwdriver to pill this while pulling the stalk forward away from dash, it seemed like it was being held, but with a little tug it came off.

    Push new one in place and reverse above, dont forget esp sensor, push ecu back in, slip ring on, T8 screw in, steering wheel, plugs etc, bolt, airbag plug, screw airbag in and your done!

    If you need the control wire, it goes to pin 13 on steering main black plug, and pin 4 on a blue connector under dash, the instructions say remove the connector but using pin nose pliers i pushed it into the connector in place, simply because i couldn't for the life of me get the connector out as it's in the most akward place and no room for tools really to undo it...

    Hope it helps!
    Big thanks for this write up, of great help to me

  31. #30
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,407

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Hey guys, I know im digging up an old thread but i have just installed the cruise as per the above guide and all went well with the parts but the actual cruise funtion is not coming on. Now i am wondering if my car needs the extra wire going from pin 13 (black connector) to pin 4 (blue connector)
    I did not actually check if this wire was in there when i first fit the parts but before i reopen it can anyone please give me a guide or tell me where the blue connector is and how to get to it?
    i already have the wire as it came with the cruise kit supplied by Audi.

    thanks in advance guys
    Ash
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

  32. #31
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    what year is your car? Did you also code the engine module to tell the car it has cruise too?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  33. #32
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,407

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Its a 2005 Sportback, and yes i have coded both the engine and the steering wheel ECU to enable cruise. I have checked the car and there are no faults so the only thing i can think of is the actual control wire is missing?
    I have no idea how to wire it but i don't mind giving it a shot. I just fitted my first ever cruise control and for the first time took off the steering wheel in just over an hour

    or if anyone would be nice enough to offer to fit it if there is not a guide
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

  34. #33
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,407

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Ok so i was driving over to my Girlfriend's place and i started messing around with the cruise stalk... i suddenly found the 'Set' button and the cruise light on the dash lit up

    turns out the wire was there all along and i was just being silly

    thanks anyway guys
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

  35. #34
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    Ok so i was driving over to my Girlfriend's place and i started messing around with the cruise stalk... i suddenly found the 'Set' button and the cruise light on the dash lit up

    turns out the wire was there all along and i was just being silly

    thanks anyway guys
    LOL, so glad you dont have to fit the wire!!!!
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  36. #35
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,407

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    im glad too, im happy that i managed to fit it and it worked
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

  37. #36
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Littleborough
    Posts
    105
    I have searched and searched the internet to find a Cruise Control installation guide and "Sijones" was the only guide I could find. Hope you don't mind Sijones as I'm going to include a few pictures and notes for others

    This guide is for the 3 spoke steering wheel with Multi Function, it may differ slightly for other steering wheels.

    Some of the pictures have the Cruise Control stalk in them, this is because I took the pictures for the guide after fitting the new stalk!


    1. Before disconnecting the battery, start the engine and rotate the steering wheel to remove the two black plugs from the back of the steering wheel followed by the two airbag fastening bolts "T25", be careful not to let the airbag fall out after removing the screws. Then straighten the wheel, turn the engine off and disconnect the battery. (I have the 3 Spoke MFSW)

    2. The Image below shows the back off the airbag and the connectors. The Top of the Yellow connector is orange, this pulls backwards towards the camera to release the yellow plug. The black plug just pulls apart. (Some say don't disconnect the airbag for 30 min after disconnection of battery, I did it straight away and had no problems)



    3. Then undo the M12 (Multi Spline) bolt, Just remove the bolt, do not pull the steering wheel it will come off, it's not like old style where it was wedged on.



    4. Take a good look at the middle, and you will see 2 marks, one on the steering wheel and one on the steering rack. Perhaps take a photo if you can so you have a referance, on mine the steering wheel mark was pretty "spot on" to the rack mark. Once you know, pull the wheel off...



    5. Remove the bottom cowelling, to do this you need to remove the adjuster handle underneath (2 x T25 screw) and the other T25 screw that you will see. The top of the Cowell hinges up like a car bonnet so you can gain access to the two front T25 screws (do not disturb slip ring position)




    6. Your then looking at the slip ring, now as everyone says to be really careful not to move it etc etc, I used insulation tape and placed that over it to stop any movement.



    7. At bottom of the slip ring is a T9 screw, remove it... Now the steering ECU to remove.
    Remove the 2 connectors at the back, to do this the main (big black one) one has a plastic clip that's red and with a flat blade is pulled out which allows you then to push a another clip behind down and pull the black plug out, sounds complicated but it's easy when you see it. The other connector is a spring loaded clip, push it away from the ecu and the plug will come out.

    8. Now between the main black plug and the small other plug there is a plastic latch, with one hand gently pulling the ecu down, use a finger to find the latch and release (see photo) The first clip is directly above the black connector, you push it in and the back of the steering ECU will drop down



    There is another latch to be released from the front (I struggled like hell with this one!) , you can use a 2.3 mm drill bit to push down the hole which should release the second clip (see Photo), Do not try and force the ECU down as you bend the clip and make things worst like I did, I didn't know the construction of the clip but it all becomes clear when you see the ECU removed, so this should be a head start for you guys.

    This shows T9 screw and the hole below for the release of second clip (I used 2mm long allen key)



    The below pic shows the chamber the 2.3mm drill or allen key comes through to, the clip is shaped like a goal post and should have a plastic leg hanging from the top middle of the goal post crossbar which would be touching my allen key on the left side had i not snapped it off in anger! Again don't try and force it down, the ECU will drop on its own when the clip is properly released. When you push the allen key through it pushes the clip to the left and the ECU should drop.



    The ecu should pull downwards off the rack with these 2 clips released.

    9. At top of wheel there is 2 clips holding slip ring in place, one at 10 o'clock and the other at 2. Unclip and the slip ring will pull off.



    10. Remove the ESP steering sensor at the bottom and put out the way



    11. The indicator stalk is held in by a plastic clip at the left back, i used a screwdriver to prise this while pulling the stalk forward away from dash, it seemed like it was being held, but with a little tug it came off.





    12. Push new one in place and reverse above, dont forget esp sensor, slip ring on, ECU back in, T9 screw in, Cowelling back on, steering wheel (check alignment with reference point), tighten bolt, airbag and MFSW plugs, screw airbag in and your done!

    I did get the ESP error message when restarted car, this went after driving for 2 minutes.

    If you need the control wire, it goes to pin 13 on steering main black plug, and pin 4 on a blue connector under dash, the instructions say remove the connector but using pin nose pliers i pushed it into the connector in place, simply because i couldn't for the life of me get the connector out as it's in the most akward place and no room for tools really to undo it...

    Big thanks to Sijones

  38. #37
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Avus Sportback View Post
    I have searched and searched the internet to find a Cruise Control installation guide and "Sijones" was

    If you need the control wire, it goes to pin 13 on steering main black plug, and pin 4 on a blue connector under dash, the instructions say remove the connector but using pin nose pliers i pushed it into the connector in place, simply because i couldn't for the life of me get the connector out as it's in the most akward place and no room for tools really to undo it...

    Big thanks to Sijones

    Just trying to fit this on my 2007 TT 3.2
    Do you have a photo of the T12a Blue Connector, as I cannot see it??

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO