AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Question Steering Wheel Wobble at 80mph?

It may be just me or it may be something wrong but here goes!

When I had my new wheels fitted the problem first occured. When the car got to about 80mph the steering wheel you vibrate / wobble. It wasn't very much but it was still noticeable. It didn't do it at speeds lower and it would go away at higher speeds.

I took it back to the garage and found the front wheels were balanced incorrectly. They rebalanced them and I went for a drive. The wobble is still there but only on certain road surfaces.

Is it because the new wheels are lighter and pick up every single grove of the road or is the balance machine the garage are using faulty?

If the rear wheels were unbalanced would it make the steering wheel wobble at 80mph?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Who said speed kills!?!?....But dangerous driving on the other hand....
    Ibis White S3 Sportback - ?bhp - ?lb/ft (Being Fixed)
    Mods: LED's Throughout, Milltek TBE, Revo S2+, Forge CAI (Gold), K&W V3's 25mm, H&R ARB's, Powerflex Bushes, Autotech HPFP, Sachs Clutch, Forge DV, Jonny's PCV Mod, Defi Boost Gauge, Pro Alloy Intercooler, 18" OZ Alleggerita's, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, VI Performance Monitor, Road Angel Pro Connected
    Full OEM Springs and Shocks for sale from 2008 S3 CLICK ME

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Try getting it balanced elsewhere. Get a receipt and ask them to put any changes on it. If it's gone go back to the original place and complain.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    what size of wheels/tyres? Have you also got spacers fitted?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    id say the balancing is the fault go somewhere else get it put right and go back to the first garage for a refund....

2nd Gear

Status
    If the balancing is ok, and they have new tyres on, then you may have a warped wheel(s).
    Q7 S Line 2010
    MMI 3G
    Adaptive Cruise Control
    Superchip Remap
    Blackvue front and rear accident camera

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockney Boy View Post
    If the balancing is ok, and they have new tyres on, then you may have a warped wheel(s).
    The wheels are brand new.... Only 5 days old! They cant be warped can they?

Ill go to a different garage tomorrow morning, get it sorted! Will report back with findings!
    Mods: LED's Throughout, Milltek TBE, Revo S2+, Forge CAI (Gold), K&W V3's 25mm, H&R ARB's, Powerflex Bushes, Autotech HPFP, Sachs Clutch, Forge DV, Jonny's PCV Mod, Defi Boost Gauge, Pro Alloy Intercooler, 18" OZ Alleggerita's, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, VI Performance Monitor, Road Angel Pro Connected

3rd Gear

Status
    it will be some sort of imperfection whether its incorrectly balanced, some sort of tire warp.

on a quiet empty road, take hands off wheel, floor it and then break hard, iff all stars stright then the alignment will be ok.

have you had new discs fitted?

3rd Gear

Status
    do the wheels have any weights on them, if not then it is, more than likely, balancing, because a wheel usually always should have weights on it.

1st Gear

Status
    FYI you feel rear tyres through the seat and front tyres through the wheel. So an all over vibration could be all four wheels.

You said the wheels are new, but what about the tyres? They could be unevenly worn, I've had a similar problem on the Range Rover.

I had the exact same problem with my A3, but it got progressively worse as speed increased from 65-100+ a re-balance all round and everything was fine.

6th Gear

Status
    Hi mate - I'd firstly go about making sure the wheels are correctly balanced (also make sure the weights havent flown off).

If your 100% sure it happened after the new wheels, the fault is defo with the wheel/tyres. Might be worth putting the standards back on to make sure.

It could be a single wheel thats buckled so try switching them about (even with the standards) to see if it gets worse (one standard/three new alloys) and keep switching them about.

If the prob goes away by replacing the new alloy with a standrd one, the prob is wther with that tyre or wheel.

I had exactly the same problem with my type r and they balanced perfectly but it shook at 80mph but past 87mph, it was fine. After switching each wheel with the spare, it still shook then i bought another alloy off ebay and when i replaced one front with the new alloy and back with the spare, all was sorted. I then bought another alloy off ebay and alls been fine - i think 2 of my alloys were buckled even though they balanced up fine. As you can guess, took me months to figure it out but sorted it in the end!

HTH
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

1st Gear

Status
    Just been to a different garage and had my fronts rebalanced. They were out!

On the drive back @ 80mph no vibration! Result!

I have now booked the car into Audi to have all 4 wheels properly rebalanced. I am loosing faith in other garages fast!

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Nice, Atleast you got it sorted!

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycruse View Post
    Just been to a different garage and had my fronts rebalanced. They were out!

On the drive back @ 80mph no vibration! Result!

I have now booked the car into Audi to have all 4 wheels properly rebalanced. I am loosing faith in other garages fast!
    If the vibrations have gone then surely you don't need to take it to Audi for rebalancing? It may have only been one front wheel slightly unbalanced if it's all OK now.

1st Gear

Status
    I don't believe it!

Took my car to Audi this morning to have the wheels rebalanced. When the car came back the technician reported that the wheels were out of balance by 90 grams, EACH WHEEL!

On the drive back the car is now smooth as silk! So don't go to Kwik Fit in Sevenoaks or Caterham! Both their wheel balancing machines are faulty.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    glad you got it sorted you should go get your money back of them that is ridiculas....

1st Gear

Status
    Pleased to see you got it sorted.

I am very fussy on wheel balancing and there is only one garage that I trust to get it right first time.

I have a lease car and Kwik Fit have to fit the tyres. So every time I take it to the garage I trust to have the wheels rebalanced. I then send the receipt to Kwik Fit head office and each time get a refund!

Last time I got a letter saying that I should have gone to branch for refund but, earlier I had been and they only offered to rebalance. So definitely get a refund of what it cost you first time or ask them to foot the Audi bill if they put your tyres on - will only cost you a stamp!
    Now

MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)

MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)

Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycruse View Post
    So don't go to Kwik Fit in Sevenoaks or Caterham! Both their wheel balancing machines are faulty.
    Dont go Kwik Fit Full Stop!!!

They're full of 17 year old mechanics, managers who just sit and eat donuts and dont really know what they're doing.

There was a knocking noise on my mates car and they said its the shocks so we he had shocks fitted but as he paid, another mechanic who fitte it said the shocks are ok so why did you change but the drop links look pretty worn.

Glad its sorted though!
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

6th Gear

Status
    well kwik fit employees are paid by bonus for the work they invent....
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    and you'll be amazed at what they can do.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company