S3 2nd AVS service - mileage shock!!

AL_B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post some info for you and wanted to see if there any other S3 8P owners out there with a similar "service vs mileage" issue.

My '07 S3 had its first avs service at 11000 miles, and almost exactly 1 year old (so April 2008). At the time I thought that was pretty poor mileage for the first service, but it seemed to match what others had experience on here.

Over the past month or so, april-may 09, my car started to say that a service was due. Can't be right I thought. Anyway, the car recently showed "Service!", so I took it to the dealers today, thinking the service indicator/system needed resetting/adjusting. The car has done 18690 miles.

My trusted dealer, Macclesfield Audi, checked the car over and there is nothing wrong with the service indicator system. It's definitely on AVS, not Annual, no sensor errors, nothing. So it can only be down to driving style and journey types.

Over the past 12 months, I have not done the mileage that I did in the car in its first year. I very rarely go on fast drives these days (never have in this S3) and driving to work is either a 5 mile town run, or a 9 mile motorway run, depending which way I go.

So I've had the car serviced. But I'm completely confused as to why the car has needed a service in 14 months an just over 7000 miles.

Cheers

AL

My TDI is on AVS and there have been intervals of 9k and 11k so your situation doesnt sound so odd to be honest. Its a performance car, they need looking after. I bet the second AVS service is just and oil change anwyay, nothing major.

Yep, my S3 goes in for it's first service tomorrow at 14k miles. The second one is due in just another 5500 miles (according to the DIS)

Service every 10k has always been a recommendation anyway on many cars I've used even if its every 20k for some, so I personally given its an S3 see what the issue is tbh, seems perfectly ok, is it the cost or cause you think it should go longer between servicing, personally with my S3 & S4 before I had it done every 10 or before IIRC, better overall for the car & resale value if its had regular servicing at sensible intervals

according to the DIS, my s3 said it needed an 'oil change' at 9000 miles or 12 months and a service at 18000 or 3 years , I had the oil change done at 9000miles, now it says oil change at 18200 miles and a service at 18000 miles

I dont know why it has two different types of service , especially when they coincide so closely with each other in terms of mileage covered.

I very rarely go on fast drives these days (never have in this S3) and driving to work is either a 5 mile town run, or a 9 mile motorway run, depending which way I go.

Thats the reason your car needs servicing so soon. The oil needs about 15 miles or so to get up to temperature. Short journeys where the oil is never up to temp mean it wears out quicker.

I dont know why it has two different types of service , especially when they coincide so closely with each other in terms of mileage covered.

Because some service items need changing at different mileages, filters etc have different lifetimes.

That sounds correct, the first is for an oil and oil filter change (mine was at about 13k) and the second for other items except oil and oil filter (mine was at about 18k). If the two are very close together then it makes sense to do both together and any sensible dealer will. If your annual mileage isn't too high it may be worth reverting to annual servicing rather than mileage based servicing. Just make sure they don't reset the wrong service indicator. I had problems with this and also convincing my dealer that the car had two different services!

According to the PDI doc my car is on a longlife service, but I havent got more than 9k miles between oil changes/services

I still dont understand why my car shows two types of service due. I could understand it if the normal service didnt include an oil change, but according to the service schedule book, the normal service also includes an engine oil change. In my case with the two 'services' so close together, I guess they'll just do one oil change.

Its always confused the hell out of me, why does it have two types of service displayed on the screen, it should just say service due, and the dealer can 'service' whatever items need servicing as appropriate

From the audi service schedule book:-

Oil change service
-----------------
engine oil changed, oil filter replaced
brake pad thickness checked
service interval display reset

20k or 2 year Service
----------------------
light and horn check
windscreen washer ,headlight washer check
wiper blade check
service interval reset
check brake fluid
check battery
tyre tread depth check
road test, final check

Thanks for the responses.

You are probably right about the short trips not helping.

Only reason why this feels a bit unfamiliar is that my old S3 8L, which I also had from new, was on AVS and servicing intervals were consistant with what was expected, 15-17K for 1st service, 2nd service 30-34K miles, 3rd 41K miles. So I was expecting something similar.

Still interested to hear other peoples service intervals with the S3 8P.

AL

According to the PDI doc my car is on a longlife service, but I havent got more than 9k miles between oil changes/services

I still dont understand why my car shows two types of service due. I could understand it if the normal service didnt include an oil change, but according to the service schedule book, the normal service also includes an engine oil change. In my case with the two 'services' so close together, I guess they'll just do one oil change.

Its always confused the hell out of me, why does it have two types of service displayed on the screen, it should just say service due, and the dealer can 'service' whatever items need servicing as appropriate

From the audi service schedule book:-

Oil change service
-----------------
brake pad thickness checked
service interval display reset

20k or 2 year Service
----------------------
light and horn check
windscreen washer ,headlight washer check
wiper blade check
service interval reset
check brake fluid
check battery
tyre tread depth check
road test, final check

That's interesting as they certainly didn't change the oil and oil filter as part of the second service for mine.

Sounds about right for the short journeys etc, I only commute about 4 miles each way daily so expect to need a service within 12 months, tbh even though I rarely keep my cars very long I tend to opt for an oil/filter change every 6 months anyway to keep it tip top, one day I may manage to keep a car long enough to reap the benefits, with the last S3 I had an extra change at 6 months independantly then still took the car into the dealers to maintain the service history a few months later, this current car will be serviced every 12 months regardless of DIS, we are driving 'perfromance' cars so its not that excessive IMO.

Just following on from this post, I must say I'm really confused still with my service set up. Can anyone shed some light?

My S3 has done 4600 miles. The DIS in the car says oil change due in another 4400 miles, the service apparently due in another 14400 miles. Yet in my service schedule check certificate it says next service due 10/01/2010 and next service mileage 19000 miles or when the service light comes on. The question is should I just pay attention to what the DIS says in the car or follow the check certificate - i.e. get it serviced Jan 2010? Or just annually service it - it was first registered Sep 2008 - therefore first service Sep 2009?

The concern is if you ignore one or the other do you run risk of resale value later on? it just seems weird to me there's mismatch of info or am I just reading into it too much like I usually do? I guess I like the idea of AVS but reading few of the posts if you arer doing short daily journeys which I am would I be better of with annual services? arghhhhhh!!!!!!

Feedback and advice I beg of you please!!!:scared2:

I just go by what the DIS states, I am about 2500 miles behind you. and will wait until the car tells me what it needs

My services have been short also but its because I do short trips.

First service was done just over a year after getting the car - oil change service, that was at 6,300 miles. After that service the DIS said 365 days until next oil change service and it has been true to its word. It needs another oil change service in about 7 days, I will have done 11,000 miles.

I got a new job shortly before getting the S3 which allows me to work from home which I have been taking advantage of.

The other service indicator says 364 days or 9,000 miles.

The only wierd thing is that I called the Audi garage in Crewe to arrange a service, told them what it says on the DIS and they were unable to tell me what service it required, they said it would have to be plugged into the computer. The options were Oil Change (£137), Interim Service (£117) or Oil + Interim (£240).

To add some weight to the short trip theory, I have pretty much only done long runs for my mileage.

Trips from UK to Germany, big trips within Germany, my parents live 300 miles apart etc etc. My first oil change was at 14k and service last week at 19k.

My services have been short also but its because I do short trips.

First service was done just over a year after getting the car - oil change service, that was at 6,300 miles. After that service the DIS said 365 days until next oil change service and it has been true to its word. It needs another oil change service in about 7 days, I will have done 11,000 miles.

I got a new job shortly before getting the S3 which allows me to work from home which I have been taking advantage of.

The other service indicator says 364 days or 9,000 miles.

The only wierd thing is that I called the Audi garage in Crewe to arrange a service, told them what it says on the DIS and they were unable to tell me what service it required, they said it would have to be plugged into the computer. The options were Oil Change (£137), Interim Service (£117) or Oil + Interim (£240).

What month of MY07 is your car out of interest?

Same here.
had the first oil chnage at 9k ish, DIS is telling me it needs service in 500 miles or so, which will be about 18K.

The car is 19month old.
Not ideal but I am running REVO stage 1 so the car is working a bit harder than stock I suppose.
Ho hum

Paul

Ok so I guess it's just a question then of following exactly what it says on the tin - or in this case the DIS in the car. As I said I just don't want a possible mismatch of info when selling on the car if you know what I mean.

I can see it now - 3 years down the line or whatever car is up for sale and potential purchaser looks at service history in your book and queries why so long from one service to another and then queries why I never serviced the car in accordance with the service certificate guarantee thing - and I say because the DIS in my car told me so:uhm:, yet there will be no evidence of this - does this make sense?

Also where in my car would it say I am on AVS service regime - anyone know?

If you access the car with VCDS there's a setting in adaptations that tells you what type you're on.

i had my first oil change at 11k, then again at 22, service isnt due until over 32k!

BTW, what are people paying for the 2nd service visit?

Cheers
Paul

Mine will vary depending on what service they find the car needs. I am sure its just and oil change again.

Crewe Audi said £137 for oil change, £117 for interim service or £240 for both.

My S3 2007 (Longlife) had its first service June 2008 @ 12,657 miles. It's booked in tomorrow for its second service at 27,220. Cost btw including brake fluid change is £282.

If you access the car with VCDS there's a setting in adaptations that tells you what type you're on.

Right thanks Staz - forgive my ignorance - what is VCDS?

Presumably AVS is different to long life servicing?

Part of the reason is with the short journeys which means more cold starts you'll see a higher percentage of fuel in the oil which would lead to a degrade in the oil quality hence why the service is due at a lower mileage.