Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Running staggered wheels on an s3

Is it possible to run wider rear wheels on the s3? I heard that it may cause problems with the haldex if you do.

I know that a few guys are running wider rear spacers which is in essence the same.

Thanks
    GIAC, EVOMS, H & R

2. # ADS
    ADS

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    n8KOW ie aka nathen is doin the same on his a3 drop him a pm

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I'm not gonna run different widths, I'm going to run different offsets, so it will appear wider.

19" x 9J ET52 Front
    19" x 9J ET41 Back

Should look

2nd Gear

Status
    Should look good but will it cause any problems with the haldex?
    GIAC, EVOMS, H & R

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Dunno I ain't got a haldex , not sure sohrob. Don't think it'll be a problem, as I'm sure RS4 owners with aftermarket rims will run wider rears.

4th Gear

Status
    I can see it causing issues with the haldex system when running wider wheels because the tyre diameter changes slightly with the different width and profiles. And the the difference between the turning radius of the front and rear wheels is one of the things that denotes how much the clutch pack opens or closes. If it doesnt damage anything which i doubt it will, it will certainly change how much power is moved aft.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I stand corrected

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    If you run a heldex system then you cannot stagger the wheels as it puts stress on the whole quattro system and will in the end cause damage and be liable to loss of traction.
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    I'm not gonna run different widths, I'm going to run different offsets, so it will appear wider.

19" x 9J ET52 Front
    19" x 9J ET41 Back

Should look

Will these even fit in the arch?
    I ask as i went to look at some 19x9's for my s3 with a similar offset and when i test fitted one the rim was touching the strut before actually touching the hub, this coud have been cured with a spacer but as the rim was already sticking out of the arch that was'nt really an option?

?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_S3 View Post
    Will these even fit in the arch?
    I ask as i went to look at some 19x9's for my s3 with a similar offset and when i test fitted one the rim was touching the strut before actually touching the hub, this coud have been cured with a spacer but as the rim was already sticking out of the arch that was'nt really an option?
    I did exactly the same with some MK2 TT RS4 wheels, et52 19x9 - they touched the strut and with a spacer would stick out way to far. I had actually bought them and had to sell them.
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Mike's Audi A3 wearing Bentley Continental GT Alloys, which are 19" x 9J ET41 on a 225/35/19 Falken 452, no spacers, and it cleared all 4 struts/shocks:

So I might run a 5mm/10mm spacer if I have to. Making the fronts ET47/ET42 and the rears ET41. Either way they'll be on the car, that I can guarantee
    Last edited by N8; 10th June 2009 at 11:02.

Neutral

Status
    yeah i've seen this before but a 225 on a 9" rim! this is the same size tyre as the standard wheels' which are 7.5 or 8", not sure which,
    I drive my car to hard to be able to live with the negative affects this would have on handling with a stretched tyre,
    I have also read reports of rubbing with an 8.5" rim fitted with a 235 tyre,
    and the wheels in question that i was after fitting were the same as those in your sig.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Hi Keith,

Thats fair enough, you have an S3, so I hope you drive it hard. My A3 is a diesel, so I'm quite chilled in it, don't drive like a LOONEY . I'm going to run a 215/35/19 on mine. As mine are for pure looks not driving pleasure! They will be fine for daily use and look like this: