Buzzing Noise From Engine

Wai-Fan

Reaction score
There's a rather loud buzzing noise coming from the engine.

Today's the only day I have ever heard it, it just randomly started happening.

It starts as soon as I turn the ignition on, and it stays on. But I'm not sure if the engine management light is supposed to stay on after the coil icon disappears.

Anyways, when I start the engine and go for a drive, the sound is still there and after I switch off the engine, the buzzing sound continues for about 20 seconds or so and then switchs off.

So I'm a bit worried!

Speculating here, but sounds like secondary air pump possibly mate.

Does your car have DPF?

Lights arent supposed to stay on at all after initial startup & if you have one up then vagcom it.

Just drove to York and back and the noise seems to have disappeared.

Car doesn't have DPF.

So no lights are supposed to appear after I turn on the ignition apart from the hand brake on icon? I thought the engine management icon would still be on after I start the engine if there was a fault.

defo buzzing or an electric whining noise, like a milk float whine?

Just drove to York and back and the noise seems to have disappeared.

Car doesn't have DPF.

So no lights are supposed to appear after I turn on the ignition apart from the hand brake on icon? I thought the engine management icon would still be on after I start the engine if there was a fault.

Like I said its probably the secondary air pump given they do this come & go, but handbrake was obvious so didnt bother mentioning & yes if there's a fault in EMS then should light up, but not always, best option is to use vagcom if in doubt.

defo buzzing or an electric whining noise, like a milk float whine?

Sort of, I guess. Think a milk float would be the closest sounding thing.

Like I said its probably the secondary air pump given they do this come & go, but handbrake was obvious so didnt bother mentioning & yes if there's a fault in EMS then should light up, but not always, best option is to use vagcom if in doubt.

I see, will there be any problems if I continue to drive it normally for about a week or two before I get it looked at?

I would call audi parts & give them your chassis & ask them if it has a secondary air pump fitted, if so then I'm leading to believe its this, I get some noises like these occassionally & I just ignore as I know its ok, but hey if under warranty then take in mate & if its what I think it is then it is perfectly ok to drive about, my old S3 one was full of water & black as you're hat from burnt out but car still went like **** of the shovel.

Well, just started it up this morning and went for a drive and the buzzing noise has completely gone. But, the engine management light is constantly on now! So I'm gonna get it checked out.

Also checked my oil and it seems to have dropped below minimum, I only put in a litre about 2 months ago!

Top up the oil & see if the light goes out mate, I assume you top it up to halfway or just over when adding oil.

Good reason to have vagcom mate cause this would show why the lights up without need for audi visit possibly.

Just topped up oil and light is still there. Guess I'll be needing a trip to Audi then! How much are these VAGCOM thingies anyway?

£241 delivered & trust me there the best tool mod you'll buy for your car, check logs, diagnostics, coding changes, many things, audi version is £5k, got one left if interested.

Ouch! Don't have that much to spend! Got a major service and cambelt change coming up! Really can't afford it! Thanks anyway though.

Ah but you'd pay audi £80 plus an hour to have a look at it if it wasnt under warranty, its all relative mate, this is what people fail to realise, if you wanted a feature changed I guess you get audi to do it wouldnt you, where as vagcom can do most things audi can aswell, also you regularly fill up with £60 worth of fuel without a thought, also you're map cost how much again, vagcom would help you out more than any other mod or tool for your car, it pays for itself in usually the 1st use, plus resale value is high & also people may ask you to help them & you can charge a small fee for this or they would give you something for the trouble, so any other use after initial is free where as audi charge most times for any changes or diagnostics.

Anyway you know where to come if you ever want it, thanks.

Here's the vagcom scan from Wai-Fans car...

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 G HW: 028 101 136 4
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 5705
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: AUX
Coding: 0000072
Shop #: WSC 66565 257 00032

2 Faults Found:
17075 - Fan 1 Control Circuit: Short to GND
P0691 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 798 /min
Torque: 44.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Bin. Bits: 11000111
Temperature: 22.5∞C
Duty Cycle: 9.6 %

19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): No Signal
P3102 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 128.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.16 V
Bin. Bits: 00000100
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Torque: 354.0 Nm

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

I left them as the car is in the dealers next week for a service and the warranty is almost ended. You know Audi, no DTC no problems!

Audi had a look at the car today and they said the IMF needs replacing.

They are now waiting for authorization from the Audi warranty. The guy said they would most likely authorize the IMF to be replaced.

Also he's trying to ask them to authorize a check for any leaks in the aircon system as my aircon stopped working, which will probably require a regas.

Also just spent half an hour trying to get rid of all the water spots that Audi left on after I picked the car up!