DRL (Non LED) Bulbs

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm after some whiter/brighter bulbs to replace the standard ones I have at the moment for my DRL (see sig pic below). I've taken the bulb out but cant seem to see any marking on it to explain what bulb type it is. I went down to Halfords but they only had H7's in the whiter type.

Anyone know where I can get the whiter/brighter bubs from, and what type they are? They look almost like a indicator bulb, and it just has the normal twist and push fitting (like house lights). I have Xenons if that makes a difference.

Cheers
Matt:think:

Check out this thread about PIAA bulbs. And the original one by redbutcher.

I have PIAA blue bulbs. They're white when on though.

Nice one, So I need:

DRL: PIAA H367 (these are the non blue looking ones, corrrect?)

SL: PIAA H353

Anyone know best place to get them (looks like the group buy has finished)?

Cheers :yes:

Ditto the above.

I was wonderng about the Philips Blue Vision, but then the PIAA's are likely to be slightly better.

I have the adaptive Bi-Xenon's with horribly yellow DRL's.

Is it just the single bulb I need to change for the DRL's, or is there another one located in the cluster? (Please say not!)

PIAA do blue and silver ones mate. You're better off with the silvers.

I bought mine from ebay. redbutcher got his from http://hid.uk.com/

what is the SIG? where are your DRL's? in your pic you just have the normal w5w 501 side light bulbs

o right, going by his picture he doesnt have the DRL unless he has retro fitted them? if it is just the side lights you are after then you will need the w5w 501 bulbs, and its just a simple pull out push in bulb, ****** to get out tho, you need really flexible hands! lol

Yep, the lights on my picture below are my DRLs.

Matt

did you say that they are a twist lock-in slot? because my ones which are there just slide out!

really!? they look like your sidelights to me...

You obviously don't have the same lights as him so why can't you take his word for it? On bi-xenons the sides and DRLs are in the inside lens.

You obviously don't have the same lights as him so why can't you take his word for it? On bi-xenons the sides and DRLs are in the inside lens.

i did not know that. fair enough, then i cant be of any help as i wont know bout the DRL. lol!

sorry mate!

Yer, maybe I should have said I have Bi-Xenons. Both the sidelight and DRL are on the inside of the light. The pic below has my DRLs on only.

So is eBay the best bet?

Thanks
:yes:

Well you could always shop around mate! lol

I got mine from ebay and have had no problems.

Yer, maybe I should have said I have Bi-Xenons. Both the sidelight and DRL are on the inside of the light. The pic below has my DRLs on only.

So is eBay the best bet?

Thanks
:yes:

have you looked in your manual to see what the bulbs are? did you say that there are no markings on the bulb? would anyone know what the bulbs type is?!

i know they're the DRL but is there a name for the bulbs, like, sidelights are 501, and you get H7 or H4 etc, what are the name for the DRL bulb, is it H367? or is that just from PIAA

LOL, this thread is making me laugh :haha:

im trying to go through all the sites i have trying to find the bulb but its really hard when i don't know what the bulb type is!? lol

im trying to go through all the sites i have trying to find the bulb but its really hard when i don't know what the bulb type is!? lol

I'm pretty sure its 367 mate. I'm looking round now :)

Gixxer man, are you ok? Your posts read like a Mad Hatter today. :p

Why don't you just phone one of these companies (or indeed Audi) to get the definative on the right bulb for your car? Save you trying to decipher all the bulb codes/names from 'tinternet.
Then go for a beer, it really shouldn't be this confusing. :beerchug:

We know for 100% its the PIAA H367!

Just ordered some from eBay :)

Cheers guys

lol, just confusing that only PIAA seem to do the bulb, unless its called something else. i like to find the answer for things! lol

hey there, from your first description " twist n push" almost without doubt I'd say they're BA9's as I have in my A6 map reading lights.

Jim

lol, just confusing that only PIAA seem to do the bulb, unless its called something else. i like to find the answer for things! lol

TBH mate, I was looking for them myself the other day (before Staz posted the linky) and gave up. All this side, DRL, LED, bright super duper white, etc, etc, was too much for my brain cell.:banghead:

Thankfully, due to someone elses hard work I now have the answer.

Oh, if you happen to find the meaning of life on one of PIAA site, let us know! :laugh::salute:

I concur. I bought the PIAA ones as per the sticky thread. They are an S25 or H367 fitting with an offset bayonette.

Makes a massive difference for such a small outlay.

Olly

So for those choosing to go with conventional filament style lights (NOT LED), the recommended options are:

DLR (Daylight Running) Lamps
Same type bulb for reversing lamp and brake lights
Audi code: 21W / P21W (Recommended alternative bulb: PIAA H 367)

H-367.jpg

Side lights
Audi code: 5W / W5W (Recommended white light bulb: PIAA H363 - T10)

Piaa%20168%20GTX%202.jpg

Rear tail lights
Audi code: 10W / R10W (Recommended alternative bulb: OE standard bulb)

Example image
R5W%20R10w%20BA15s%20%28SCC%29.jpg

Rear Fog light

Audi code: H21W (Recommended bulb: OE spec standard)

Example image
picture.JPG

Indicator bulbs
Audi code: 21W / P21W (Recommended alternative bulb: Philips Silvervision PSVPY21W)

svpy21w.jpg

Any recommendations / corrections / additions (eg. interior/ non xenon headlamps) so we can build an up to date list of recommendations?

Nice one Warren. That put this matter to bed now, for me anyway. Amazing how pictures help.

Many thanks to you and RedButcher's for efforts on this.
:beerchug:

Edit: Link on FAQs?

Nice one Warren. That put this matter to bed now, for me anyway. Amazing how pictures help.

Many thanks to you and RedButcher's for efforts on this.
:beerchug:

Edit: Link on FAQs?

By all means mate! It's threads like this that should be on there, especially when they link back to older useful threads. Any noob can learn a huge amount without having to ask a question.

Cheers Warren - good idea :beerchug:

Just been through the original thread and have pulled out the pics for people to see rather than searching through the forum to find them!

PIAA Chrome Mirror sidelights with factory Xenons:

xenon.jpg

PIAA Chrome Mirror DRL bulbs

drl.jpg

PIAA Chrome Mirror Side Lights

side.jpg

so are these piaa h367 bulbs the best option out there to replace the standard yellow bulbs? How white/blue are they (presumably they look better than stock but not as good as LEDs right?)

isn't it time bulb manufacturers starting making direct replacement LED bulbs for cars (that have the appropriate reissitors built in to to prevent dash errors)

so are these piaa h367 bulbs the best option out there to replace the standard yellow bulbs? How white/blue are they (presumably they look better than stock but not as good as LEDs right?)

isn't it time bulb manufacturers starting making direct replacement LED bulbs for cars (that have the appropriate reissitors built in to to prevent dash errors)

As a replacement for the DRLs, IMO the H367s are the best replacement as the light produced is about as white as you're going to get without having the nasty blue tinge to the bulbs when they are off.

Agreed, they are not going to be as white as LEDs, but they do the job without all the hassle of wiring in resistors etc.

Hello folks, sorry for dragging this thread back up,but i am after changing my side light bulbs for either the led type or something like the above but i am still unsure which led type ones wont bring on the bulb failure warning and wont get too hot,can people chuck some advice my way of what they ended up with and if there still happy with results or did they have problems etc