when the airbags delploy..does the slip ring has to be changed?

tdisportuk

Reaction score
Hello all

as above when the driver and passenger airbags deploy does the slip ring (squibb) has to be changed? also after the bags deployed when i turn the ignition on the horns sound for like 2/3 seconds then go off but i cant use the horn manually like pressing the horn nothing sounds..? why could this be?

thanks

After the airbags have gone off, the airbag control unit needs replaced. The slip ring in behind the steering wheel will be ok as its behind the wheel.

...unless the connector from the slip ring to the back of the airbag is damaged by the heat of the airbag going off - I've seen the connector that goes to the airbag unit get melted with the heat of the airbag going off.

It's case by case though, I'd suggest.

oh ok so the slip ring does not get damaged or anything? Also could anyone shine any information on the horn problem?

Thanks

If the horn isnt working then sounds like Glen is right & there could well be damage to the wiring within the steering wheel back. Not sure why its sounding when you turn the car on, maybe the alarm? Have you had it checked using a diagnosis lead?

This could be an intentional audi thing when airbags have gone of as a warning even though a 2 yr old could see that for themselves, whats the scenario anyway, frontal impact, repairing car etc etc?

The horn is it same number of beeps as such or different each time, have you had the wheel of to check the slip ring etc wiring, the plug could of been melted but if was shorting it would do it all the time I suspect not just whe ignition on & also not stop either, removal of wheel would add more to the query & possible answer

disnostics show nothing, well its not a vagcom its some other machine the garage uses. deffo not the alarm.

NHN

yes front impact both airbags deployed both airbags have been replaced, the horn problem still there, changed the slip ring then the ESP and Steering lights came on (still on!) but the horn still sounds when you turn the car on and its the same sound everytime same duration. its just one BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP then goes off. but if you try to use the horns manually they dont work.
connecters seem fine but have not looked at them closly. airbag module has not been changed either.

what else could be wrong?
thanks

I'm fairly sure the airbag module always needs changed after the airbags go off. It used to be in behind the centre console under the dash on the old A3, not sure where it is on the 8P models. Did the seat belt tensioners also fire?

no tentioners are fine khufu. but im still way confused about the horn part?! is there another switch for it or something?

Airbag controller has to have either the errors/fired logs removed & reset or be replaced for new/unfired, I suspect the horn is a warning of some form, but I would get vagcom on the car not a handheld machine & the check the whole car as I'm sure this will show the issue at hand.

The 8P controller is in the center console under the ashtray/climate area, bitch of a place as I have to do some wiring to mine aswell.

Hello

havnt been on here for about 3/4weeks just spent the last hour or so catching up on everything! lol. im away at the moment back soon! horn problem is still there, havnt got access to vcds yet will invest soon! anyone have any time to scan it for me, or help me diagnose it in return for cash please? slip ring has been changed too the power steering lights and esp lights are on this needs to be recallibrated using vcds as wel. then it should work fine?

thanks

Depends where you are & unless the slip ring was actually damaged there was no need to change it tbh, but hey your car.

i dont know mate, im clueless and did paid whatever the mechanic told me :( been messed about alot! there was one thing that looked broken a lil metal piece on the slip ring was missing off the one on my car thats why it had to be changed?, from birmingham mate if thats any help.

Ah out of my range then interms of location, you could always invest in vagcom yourself, hint hint nudge nudge, lol

lol thats what im trying to do, not possible at the momment been shafted by 2many mechanics! how far are you? i dont making a trip to someone with knowledge! desperate at the momment! i used to have vagcom for my polo but it wont communicate with the audi.

I'm way down south mate near brighton, there are many others nearer to you who would scan the car & if you're willing to spend money on the fuel mate & time then I would suggest you spend that money on vagcom for this issue & future use, 1st use will pay for itself guaranteed & no not pushing because I sell, I genuine believe it will help you with the current issues & many more things on the car & all for free after the initial purchase huh.

hmm now i like the sound of that. lol never thought of it that way, thanks. how much am i looking at now?

Check this link, might seem alot but consider audi hourly rates & then consider you have free use to do any diag work etc yourself where as any time at audi would be chargeable, not 1 RT cable buyer would ever say was bad decision, not 1:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=765328

Last edited:
hmm money wont allow at the moment if i brought it i would be limited on spending money on for repairs so maybe in about 2ish months right now i just want to diagnose and get it all working again, once thats done then i will deffo buy one if theres any money left in the kitty! diesels not a problem..!