What diesels have the turbo problems?

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi

I am in the process of replacing my 04 A3 2.0TDi. I have only had it six months but want a newer car.

My question is what A3's have turbo problems? Is the 170 completly fine? Is it only the pre facelift 140's which have the problems?

If I got a 56 plate 140 quattro, will the turbo need doing at 60-80K?

Any andvice would be much apriciated.

You sir, are asking for the holy grail of cars/turbos/any mechanical item. I'd pay good money for anything with a zero probability of failure.

There are no common turbo faults with the 2.0tdi's - its just unfortunate if your turbo does have an issue in your car!

If you get a well maintained TDI Audi, you should not have an issue!

I change my oil every 10k and filters, the car has been remapped for over 40k miles and no issue as yet with my turbo! (touching wood as you read!)

lol

Ok fair enough.

All I am saying is it seems to be a bit TOO comon for turbo failure on 140's. It is the same with all the cars with the 140 tdi engine in, but I never hear any complaints about the 170.

Never heard of one going on the 170 but that doesn't mean it wont!

I've read loads about TDI turbos blowing (esp on the bkd engine).

generally, it tends to be the bkd engines or the 1.9PD engines - they're not common but do blow - As boydie said, its down to how the car was mantained.

30secs to let oil go through before driving off, 30 secs to cool down before turning off and driving the last few miles of your journey with low revs, regularly serviced will ensure a good healthy turbo.

I looked after mine but it still went (out the blue as te car was running fine).

But remapping does reduce the life of a turbo...

Furry ****

Thanks for the feedback.

I should not be worried about buying another 140 then......

lol, I know

Mine seems to be fine. Does judder a little on tick over tho......

the only problem with my 2.0tdi turbo was that the turbo wasnt big enough....had to swap it for something much bigger:)

What did they set you back Dunk, cause know Simon@amd does a 2k upgrade, also only issue I know of the 140's is the head issue that several have reported, but turbo wise not heard that much tbh.

turbodynamics stage 2 turbo, decat custom exhaust and custom remap - about 240hp cost £180 turbo fitting, £500 turbo, £420 remap by derv doctor, £600 decat full turbo back SS exhaust

probably dont need full exhaust, but decat will help turbo spin up a lot and low resistance back box is said to help.