JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118

    A brighter Black Edition

    Well after months of trying to get all the parts ready for the delivery of my black edition yesterday, I thought I would thank everyone for all the help they have given me in locating parts and giving me the knowledge to fit them.
    Thanks to all that have helped, sold, shared and put up with some stupid arse questions!.
    After a days work, the car is finally finished!. I always thought the Black edition was a little to much, however the extras persuaded me to commit and maybe make some mods after delivery.. I have changed the grill, mirrors, badge, Rns-E and pedals. I think it makes the black windows look less like Im either dealing crack or planning a drive by!.

    Just need someone with Vag to sort the RNS-E out. All works perfectly but it must have some errors!












  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Must say thats a amazing looking A3. Doesnt look like a Black Edition any more without the signature alloys and grill. Be nice if audi did a Black Edition Badge!
    But does look good. how come you ever decided to go for a optic S3 grill? Once again car looks nice


    Ashley
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by benskin07 View Post
    Must say thats a amazing looking A3. Doesnt look like a Black Edition any more without the signature alloys and grill. Be nice if audi did a Black Edition Badge!
    But does look good. how come you ever decided to go for a optic S3 grill? Once again car looks nice


    Ashley
    Thanks Ashley.. I never liked the Facelift Grill as much as the previous model, so after seeing Sems on here with regards to fitting the S3 version I promptly ordered. With regards to the wheels, they look great on the red, white and silver however they are a little dark with a black car imo.
    I still get the other perks of the black ed with the Bose, tinting and DRL's which I have to say are amazing!.

    Thanks again...


  5. #4
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    Stunning car mate, an very tastefully specced.

    One thing that makes me laugh is how the S-Line specs have got so close to the S3's. You even have a flat bottomed wheel now!! When I initially went to see the S3 and Audi hadn't even been arsed to stitch the S3 logo into the leather seats, it felt a little to close to S-Line territory considering the premium charged - bloody tightwads. On first take I thought yours was an S3!!!

    Very nice!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    70
    Hastie1776,
    Looks great.
    I totally agree the black ed in black is just too pimpish for my tastes. On my enquries I have been asking of the alloys can be swapped for the normal sline alloys and some dealers have said that they could possibly do that with a car they have.
    Should/once I order I too would like to change the grill.
    Is it this part 8P0 853 651 F 1RR
    Also, how difficult was it to change the badge from S3 to Sline. Is it plug and play?
    Please provide details.

    Does the piano black make the interior too dark?

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_SSS View Post
    Hastie1776,
    Looks great.
    I totally agree the black ed in black is just too pimpish for my tastes. On my enquries I have been asking of the alloys can be swapped for the normal sline alloys and some dealers have said that they could possibly do that with a car they have.
    Should/once I order I too would like to change the grill.
    Is it this part 8P0 853 651 F 1RR
    Also, how difficult was it to change the badge from S3 to Sline. Is it plug and play?
    Please provide details.


    Does the piano black make the interior too dark?

    Yep A8P0 853 651 F1RR is the one I used at 130.30 + vat = 149.85.
    The badge isnt a straight swap. I took a new S-Line Grill badge and sanded of the clips from the back. I then sanded the front of the S3 badge back from the front to the back so that I was left with only the clip. I then glued the back of the S3 clip to the back of the Sline badge.

    Give me a shout when you come to do it and I will send you a finished version for the price of the badges.

    The piano black is an ARSE to keep clean but I have to say with the silver and the black it looks awesome. Really pleased. Not to dark at all.
    Last edited by Hastie1776; 29th May 2009 at 15:09.


  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Stunning car mate, an very tastefully specced.

    One thing that makes me laugh is how the S-Line specs have got so close to the S3's. You even have a flat bottomed wheel now!! When I initially went to see the S3 and Audi hadn't even been arsed to stitch the S3 logo into the leather seats, it felt a little to close to S-Line territory considering the premium charged - bloody tightwads. On first take I thought yours was an S3!!!

    Very nice!
    Your absolutely right, I even felt guilty for getting the parts so easily Audi shouldnt really make these things so easily available. HOWEVER, I'm so pleased as I couldnt get away with S3 fuel bill but at least get a little of the stunning looks.


  9. #8
    ~RS~'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    That's gorgeous Hastie! Very nicely done... great interior spec too. I would have been tempted to go for an optik s3 grill or wrapping the chrome surround of that one and leaving the inner bars chrome to match mirrors.... but it looks bloody fantastic either way I feel rather jealous, actually!

    Got the rns-e I got from you going in soon mate...

    Enjoy the car... I'm sure you will!

  10. #9
    redbutcher's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    657
    Very tasteful looking car that - changing the alloys draws your eyes away from the all black look which i think is a good thing.

    Well done
    Jon

    Now A3 less......

  11. #10
    Sem
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    297
    Looks very nice that mate, just like mine!
    2008 (58) Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black, Xenons, RNS-E etc...

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    120
    Really nice car! I had, also, the illusion that it was a S3! I'm loving the FBMFSW! Do you have a part number?

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by drsilviuro View Post
    Really nice car! I had, also, the illusion that it was a S3! I'm loving the FBMFSW! Do you have a part number?
    Thanks, I'm afraid I dont have the part number as the steeing wheel came as part of the black edition package.. I'm sure someone else will let you know.


  14. #13
    evapor8's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    463
    Good work Hastie .... very tidy!

    I have a holiday to pay for, but that S3 grill is beckoning .....

    Chris

    Edit: I'm too weak .... email sent to my local parts guy!
    Last edited by evapor8; 29th May 2009 at 20:50.
    Car: Phantom Black A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line BLACK EDITION, 3-door, manual

  15. #14
    Xerohour's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    Congrats Hastie, Looks beautiful! and youyr mods make it look the business!

    One question, what black is it? Brilliant or Phantom?

    Cheers!
    2010 "59" | A3 1.8 TFSI S-Line | Black Edition | Ibis White | Xenon Plus & LED DRL | BOSE | FBMFSW | Light & Rain Sensor Pack | Interior Light Pack | Bluetooth | Heated Seats | Folding Mirrors | Tire Pressure Monitor

  16. #15
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    looks like a normal S line, dont you pay a premium for the black edition? why change it to look like all the others?
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire.
    Posts
    33

    Black Interior?

    Hastie - The car looks great! I thought the BE interior would be black but looks light grey in the picture. Is it grey or is the camera playing tricks?
    A3 Sportback Black Edition

    Ibis White 1.8TFSi Stronic Open sky system, RNS-E, iPod,Parking sensors, light & storage packs.


  18. #17
    Matt's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,416
    I understand about getting the extras like the Xenons etc. that come on the BE but still seems a strange thing to do.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

  19. #18
    dramirez's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    27
    Really nice car! But just wondering, why didn't you get the black S3 grill? (I mean, with the black surround)

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    looks like a normal S line, dont you pay a premium for the black edition? why change it to look like all the others?


    Some of us like to do mods?...DTRL, FBMFSW, BOSE and TINTS are all left alone. Wheels and grill made it very dark imo and many others. Thanks for your opinion though.


  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by xpanama View Post
    Hastie - The car looks great! I thought the BE interior would be black but looks light grey in the picture. Is it grey or is the camera playing tricks?


    Yeah thats the Canon... Its isnt a dark black however!... get to a dealers and have a look...


  22. #21
    pns2007's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    627
    The part no. for the S-Line grill badge is 4F0 853 736 A2 ZZ if anyones interested and I fixed mine the same way as Hastie1776. The S3 grill comes complete with the S3 badge so you only need to buy the S-Line one. It cost 13 + VAT which is cheaper than the ones on e-bay. (allot of the badges on e-bay appear to be copies!)

    Nice looking Car Hastie1776. Wished I'd gone for the LED's now.

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by pns2007 View Post
    The part no. for the S-Line grill badge is 4F0 853 736 A2 ZZ if anyones interested and I fixed mine the same way as Hastie1776. The S3 grill comes complete with the S3 badge so you only need to buy the S-Line one. It cost 13 + VAT which is cheaper than the ones on e-bay. (allot of the badges on e-bay appear to be copies!)

    Nice looking Car Hastie1776. Wished I'd gone for the LED's now.
    Hi Mate

    Did you manage to swap the grill ok yourself?.. pop some pics on when you get a chance, be good to see it. With regards to the LEDs, its only a matter of time before some decent replicas make it over here. They already have the A4 style versions available the A3. Not sure that works however...

    Hastie


  24. #23
    pns2007's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    627
    Thanks Hastie, I have already posted a picture on SEM's thread but I'll put another here



    Yes I did it myself, took about 3 hours in the end but I did end up taking both wheels off to make access abit better and then also decided to give the wheels a good clean and sealed them with auto glym wheel sealer

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO