Chris NottVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

Vag com cable, still confused.

Ok, can someone let me know if this spec cable is suitable for diagnostics and coding on A3 8P 55reg:

V-COM v704.1 USB to OBDII Cable

Here

The item description says its suitable, but why doesn't everyone go to eBay for them for this price?

Are they usually so much more expensive because they have the software with them if ordered from Ross tech?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    very unreliable cable. could even screw up cars electronics!

2nd Gear

Status
    ive used a similair cable purchased from here m8 and its done loads of cars now with no probs so far

3rd Gear

Status
    I see that you've titled the thread VAG-COM, but I don't think that cable runs VAG-COM... -does it?

It runs "V-COM", which is NOT supported by Ross-Tech...

I have VAG-COM and the after-sales support is the greatest. For that reason alone, I recommend that you forget anything else.

Keith

2nd Gear

Status
    Oright, my only query is that i'm good with computers, programming etc so i know i would be able to use the Vag Com program, but 200 + for a cable just seems outrageous.

bluequattro was the cable you use the same as above? Do you use it with Vag Com?

Sure a cable alone cant screw up the electronics, its the information you pass through the cable.
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    i dont want to ram it down your throat but it will be the best 200+ you will spend on your car NHN is doing the cables at a good price if you want genuine the cheaper ones are limited to what they do vcds has the backup from members on here and ross tech but the choice as they say is yours
    A3 2.0T S Line Quattro

2nd Gear

Status
    ha nah thats fine, i guess its only black and white, genuine price with back up or cheaper and not have the help needed.
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    im using same cable with vagcom version 7.041 so far so good matey

3rd Gear

Status
    Technically it's 200 for a cable AND A LICENSE.

-The license is NOT worthless... even in this Napster/Limewire/YouTube age...

Hell, it's worth 200 just for the license and the support!!!

-No, SERIOUSLY.

If V-Com is as good as VAG-COM, if it's updated as frequently, if it's supported as dilligently, then with my blessing, buy it.

-No, honestly.

If you can find a better bargain than VAG-COM, you'd be a fool not to buy it.

But (to paraphrase Robbie Burns) "a lower price dis'nae a bargain make."

Keith

PS... SERIOUSLY.

I had VAG-COM on my MkIV, and it was so wonderfully fantastic that when I got the Audi, I bought a compatible version. -I now have TWO. -It's just "the real deal, McNeil". It's like a Rolex versus a corner knock-off. Two hundred quid is a VERY fair price.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hmmm yeah i do see what you mean. On one hand i think yeah go for it with Vag com, on the other i think well that 250 could get me something nice for my car!!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Something nice for your car at 250 pounds, see below ;

Vag - com.

Just Looking

Status
    The cable you link to is a counterfeit copy of the Ross Tech cable. It will run VCDS(VAG-COM) but it is limited to the software version 704 however the current version is several revisions above that.

Buy genuine a recieve free updates / support for the time you own the cable/licence.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

5th Gear

Status
    So where's the cheapest place to actually buy a genuine Ross Tech VAG COM cable? I'm interested but I think I will only make limited use of it i.e. change some settings such as DRL with indicators and maybe (in future) read fault codes - but whether that (imo) is really worth the hundreds spent is another question.

Just Looking

Status
    Probably from Nigel (NHN) here.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

3rd Gear

Status
    Here's my view:

As I've mentioned above, part of the beauty of the Ross-Tech version is that it comes with a LICENSE, and SUPPORT.

For example; -if you want to just do a couple of 'mods' or 'tweaks', and would probably not consider a VAG-COM investment to be worthwhile 'value-for-money', you have a few options:

1) Not do the mods -This is an unsatisfactory idea all round... -I don't like it. You don't get what you want, Ross-Tech makes nothing, -nobody's happy.

2) You find a fellow enthusiast near you, who will "Vag-Com for Beer". -Ross-Tech still makes no actual MONEY on the deal, but your friendly enthusiast gets some nice beer, You get the BEST system used on your car, (one which was somewhat frequently UPDATED after-sale, and has lots more annotations and assistance than an aftermarket knock-off) and -worthy of very careful consideration- the 'cheap clone' makers DON'T get a sale.

Knockoffs/"clone" copies etc are only made and sold because there is a demand for them. -It's a little bit like illegal downloading on the Internet; the people who made the investment to create the original are deprived of income. -Out of conscience alone -if nothing else- I'd really rather that people examine the OTHER alternatives first.

That's my assessment. -If it were me, I'd take a look on the few "lists" of people (listed by area/region) with VAG-COMs, who will offer to help you. -I'm on a few lists, and personally I actually ENJOY doing it. -By and large, people who have a short 'shopping list' of things they would like to use a VAG-COM for are NOT the type of people who just treat a car as a boring convenience... they're "car-people" like us. -I enjoy seeing their cars, they enjoy telling me what they've done, and I usually get a ride. This is not limited to A3's either; VWs and Audis of all sizes, with all sorts of suspension options... and they usually LOVE to take you for a spin to show off tings like the "feel" of their swaybar etc.

The spirit of 'community' is great from doing it this way, -I usually get a few bottles of some nice beer to take away, we get to admire each others approaches to having fun with our cars, and the cloners are not 'encouraged'.

So please consider that option before going the 'Napster' route... -It's actually usually cheaper in the long run (you can buy a LOT of "beer for buddies" for $50!!!) and it's fun for all. -If you were near me I'd be delighted to help you out.

Keith
    Last edited by VWAddict; 30th May 2009 at 13:42.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    Probably from Nigel (NHN) here.
    Thanks. I have sent a PM to NHN -

Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    Here's my view:

As I've mentioned above, part of the beauty of the Ross-Tech version is that it comes with a LICENSE, and SUPPORT.

For example; -if you want to just do a couple of 'mods' or 'tweaks', and would probably not consider a VAG-COM investment to be worthwhile 'value-for-money', you have a few options:

1) Not do the mods -This is an unsatisfactory idea all round... -I don't like it. You don't get what you want, Ross-Tech makes nothing, -nobody's happy.

2) You find a fellow enthusiast near you, who will "Vag-Com for Beer". -Ross-Tech still makes no actual MONEY on the deal, but your friendly enthusiast gets some nice beer, You get the BEST system used on your car, (one which was somewhat frequently UPDATED after-sale, and has lots more annotations and assistance than an aftermarket knock-off) and -worthy of very careful consideration- the 'cheap clone' makers DON'T get a sale.

Knockoffs/"clone" copies etc are only made and sold because there is a demand for them. -It's a little bit like illegal downloading on the Internet; the people who made the investment to create the original are deprived of income. -Out of conscience alone -if nothing else- I'd really rather that people examine the OTHER alternatives first.

That's my assessment. -If it were me, I'd take a look on the few "lists" of people (listed by area/region) with VAG-COMs, who will offer to help you. -I'm on a few lists, and personally I actually ENJOY doing it. -By and large, people who have a short 'shopping list' of things they would like to use a VAG-COM for are NOT the type of people who just treat a car as a boring convenience... they're "car-people" like us. -I enjoy seeing their cars, they enjoy telling me what they've done, and I usually get a ride. This is not limited to A3's either; VWs and Audis of all sizes, with all sorts of suspension options... and they usually LOVE to take you for a spin to show off tings like the "feel" of their swaybar etc.

The spirit of 'community' is great from doing it this way, -I usually get a few bottles of some nice beer to take away, we get to admire each others approaches to having fun with our cars, and the cloners are not 'encouraged'.

So please consider that option before going the 'Napster' route... -It's actually usually cheaper in the long run (you can buy a LOT of "beer for buddies" for $50!!!) and it's fun for all. -If you were near me I'd be delighted to help you out.

Keith
    Thanks - point taken and duly noted.

I do not want to go for a "knock off" cable, I know this for sure. It'd cost me A HELL OF A LOT more fixing what I (could/may) break. It may be worth seeing whose near by - but I'm doing some investigation to see what's the best price I can get for a genuine VAG-COM cable/license.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    PM replied, thanks guys.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    PM replied, thanks guys.
    so how many referrals are required for a spare bed in Italy? LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Given my state last night, I was lucky to actually have a bed to pass out in, so could of been spare one anyway, Italian weddings man, they go on forever & ever & ever, lol

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK