Modifying an Audi R8 oil cap

ive always thought that it should fit from standard, no modifying needed! why does it not fit?

Rabbit never had a problem with mine! Only problem i did have, one just disappeared!! So bought a new one. And they both seem to fit fine and secure.
Only thing i can think that happend to the first one i never put it on properly.

I take it the one you got doesnt fit your S3? Or a bit loose?

Thanks

Ashley

Ah,yes. Wondered what you were going on about there Shaun,i had the same prob with mine - i just turned it back about 1/4 turn so it lined up,not that it matters,but i get where you're coming from! It's all in the detail.

Now how about posting a pic of your engine cover?:yes:

Detail is key!

MyS37-1.jpg

Funnily enough mine was out of line when I bought it..... but the Audi dealer adjusted it so it lined up properly when it was in for a service.... I know... a main delaer actually doing something RIGHT for a change lol

Funnily enough mine was out of line when I bought it..... but the Audi dealer adjusted it so it lined up properly when it was in for a service.... I know... a main delaer actually doing something RIGHT for a change lol

Don't you mean for a charge? :whistle2:

For once it wasn't a typo John hahaha!
I just happened to notice one day that it was now lined up properly.... come to think of it, could have been Regal as they have worked on the car several times now..... lol... that sounds far more likely :keule:

I got one from ebay only 2 weeks ago. He says to tell him what engine you have when you order. It was still out of alignment!

Easy to sort though.

Looks nice - they state it will not fit the right way round... wonder if this one is adjustable too

Few of us got one of ebay, fitted 100% tbh no problems.

I do however take back some words about pricing at awesome, that particular item is expensive tbh, given the oil cap was £20, so that is 150% more, tad rich to say the least

Aha its actually sourced from TPS or Audi parts, cool, I'll give Mitch a call at brighton, see what they say.

In November the prices were -

420 121 321 RRP £41.66 Paid £38.33
420 103 485B RRP £17.91 Paid £17.19

All prices plus VAT.

Bringing some life back to this thread!

I sold my original R8 Oil cap 2 years ago or so but bought another there recently but it sits at 90degrees when on :(

What modifications are needed to ensure proper fitment?

im pretty sure you can either get a Original R8 cap (that sits at 90 deg) or a pre modded one from Awesome etc that sits perfect..

could be wrong though!!

Bringing some life back to this thread!

I sold my original R8 Oil cap 2 years ago or so but bought another there recently but it sits at 90degrees when on :(

What modifications are needed to ensure proper fitment?

Here goes, there are 2 seals on r8 oil cap a flat washer like one at the bottom and an o-ring type seal towards the top close to the silver
bit, remove the o-ring seal that really does feck all on our engines and beneath it you should be able to separate the top(fancy) part of the cap from the lower cup like section (you will see what I mean when u separate it),
Now you have 2 parts the lower cup which I attached to engine at this point, and the "r8 part" inside the cup are 4 small locating tabs,
now the hold the r8 part over the cup on the engine and note where on the r8 cap where the locating tabs are as you will have to cut
"SMALL slits" in the r8 piece so that it sits correctly in the lower cup!!
Take ure time when cutting the slits and make sure they are SMALL as I went in guns blasin and cut them too big and had to do some dodgy repair to make it ok :(
Hope that makes sense

Last edited:
Yeah simple mod tbh, not hard, then again we're talking about an irishman, so maybe Boycie will need Rodneys help lmfao

Oh yeah!!!

Oil Cap in question:

a0d41a56.jpg

Turn over and remove thick O ring and middle O ring at the base of the cap.

c48996cf.jpg

Voila

4aeb5cfd.jpg

You will see in the middle of the depth of the cap there is a gap around the circumference. Wedge a small flat head inbetween the two parts of the cap. Do not be afraid of breaking the cap as mine came off easily enough. See two separate bits:

4968e192.jpg

All bits separate:

d964ab2f.jpg

I then read that some people have had to use snips to create new gaps in the plastic to fit the parts back together but I just worked out where exactly they were to be reconnected - about a quarter turn and pressed them both together, click! Secure connection!

Refit the the O rings and then test fit on the car....

Bingo!!

e2f16460.jpg

0ef6c7c2.jpg

10 minutes work!

Reactions: RS5 JON, warren_S5 and KentKid
Great job Boydie.
Thanks again for the detailed write up.
I have an R8 oil cap on water from Germany at the moment (together with my Twintake) so will again be following your helpful DIY.

R8 oil cap arrived and i just did this.
Nice simple instructions, worked a treat.
Took about 2 minutes.
Thanks again.

Ahh, the revival of an old thread!

Having recently decided to show my engine bay a little TLC, I made the decision to buy an R8 oil cap.

I picked one up from my local Audi dealership (Maidstone Audi) for £28, and following Boydie's excellent instructions above, managed to get it fitting nice and straight with minimal fuss.

Thanks very much mate, much appreciated...

Just done this mod on mine no cutting of slots needed just clipped back together , and fitted Porsche coolant cap too :)