Sat nav not factory fitted as specified

London_jonny

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was expecting delivery of my MY09 week 18 build A3 tomorrow but the dealership has just called to say they've realised the sat nav wasn't factory fitted as specified. They are going to add this at the dealership but I was wondering if there is any downside to it being fitted in this way?

Also do you think there is any chance i'll get a MY10 build RNSE?

Cheers

Congrats on your new car, best thing is to try to make sure they use the newest Sat Nav, and say to them that the factory would have used the new ones also. ;)

It's too early for a MY10 I think.

with regards to the Nav. I know most people when they retrofit RNS-E they use an aerial that's tucked behind the dash somewhere. BUT on recent A3s when you have factory nav fitted the aerial is one of the sharkfin ones on the roof. This is not so easy to retrofit!

EDIT by the way I'm talking about the aerial for the satnav itself, not the radio.

Hi All,

I was expecting delivery of my MY09 week 18 build A3 tomorrow but the dealership has just called to say they've realised the sat nav wasn't factory fitted as specified. They are going to add this at the dealership but I was wondering if there is any downside to it being fitted in this way?

Cheers

That's total cabbage!

If it's possible, I would demand MY10 with AMI as a means of compensation.

It's too early for a MY10 I think.

with regards to the Nav. I know most people when they retrofit RNS-E they use an aerial that's tucked behind the dash somewhere. BUT on recent A3s when you have factory nav fitted the aerial is one of the sharkfin ones on the roof. This is not so easy to retrofit!

EDIT by the way I'm talking about the aerial for the satnav itself, not the radio.

MY10 production started yesterday (start of week 22). :beerchug:

Hi All,

Cheers

As others have said I doubt you will get a MY 2010 Sat Nav unit as they start going in on build week 22.

Couple of things here. You paid top whack for factory fit so if its not being fitted dont pay that price. As its retrofit ask them how much its going to cost - remember you have been inconvenienced here and direct them to EBAY where you can get a retrofit for say £800.

How dealerships get away with this is beyond me. I am now going to ring my dealer and request a full print out of what car spec has been ordered just in case!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm playing hardball now and demanding a MY10 build RNSE on the basis this is now the current model as of yesterday. I'm also trying to get them to give me a few extras if I can.

What really annoys me is that they've actually had the car for 2 weeks and not even bothered to check the specification of the car until the day before delivery.

One final question - Is this likely to affect either bluetooth phone prep or multi-function steering wheel functionality?

One final question - Is this likely to affect either bluetooth phone prep or multi-function steering wheel functionality?

No not at all, as long as they code it properly. Just do a complete check before you drive away.

I doubt you'll get a MY10 unit TBH but you should at least get a discount.

As I said the aerial should have been inside the sharkfin so ask them how they have done it. If it's the old style aerial behind the dash you can play on it and say that you'll get reduced signal. Which is true but doesn't really affect the accuracy.

If he has specced the bluetooth option he will have the roof mounted antenna anyway. I cant see the garage using an after market in dash gps device when they have the option of just changing the sharkfin and connecting it up to the RNS-E. Its not a hard job for them to do.

Are you sure? I don't know what it entails fully but does it only have 1 loom? Does that loom have the connections to plug into the RNS-e even if it's not fitted at the factory? Is the sharkfin the same?

You may be right, I just think there may be more to it.

So if you have the shark fin fitted when retro-fitting the rns-e do you get good reception?

I'm not sure anyone who retrofits actually plugs into the sharkfin. I don't remember any mention of it recently on retrofits.

I have the sharkfin for my phone prep and had RNS-e fitted, there was no mention of using the sharkfin then, but mine is a MY08. MY09s definitely have the sharkfin just for the satnav (if phone prep isn't specced).

The actual reception quality is neither here nor there. I doubt it's even noticeable. I haven't had any problems at all.

So if you have the shark fin fitted when retro-fitting the rns-e do you get good reception?

Most people dont go to the bother of connecting to the sharkfin with a retrofit and use an aftermarket gps antenna under the dash, it works ok but the signal takes longer to lock on. Im not even sure if the sharkfins all have gps fitted but if audi are retrofitting it then they would fit one with the gps antenna anyway if it doesnt have it fitted. Its no real hardship for them to do. They would have to do it under warranty if it broke and have all the right tools, information and manpower to do it properly.

If your dealer retrofits the RNSe he will also have to change the the antenna amps in the boot and rewire them. The RNSE and Concert/Symphony II+ units use different antenna systems. See my post here for details.

As for the sharkfin, the car will have one fitted if it has GSM prep and/or Satnav. If you only have GSM prep the antenna is only wired for GSM, you need to change the complete fin for a new one with both GSM and Nav antennas. To do this requires dropping the rear roof lining and the C pillar trim to access the fittings and the cable runs.

The question for me though is if Audi will bother to do all that when most people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

The question for me though is if Audi will bother to do all that when most people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

The question is why would they not when the correct parts are readily available cheap and the labour is there to do the job right. It wouldnt make sense to bodge it as it saves them no money. Chances are Audi AG will be footing the bill anyway.

Yeah I agree, but Audi AG may have the policy that a retrofit is fitted with a normal aerial. I may be completely wrong, but I'm just a bit cynical.

Most dealers would laught at the mention of a retrofit. Oh that can't be done sir.. Blah blah... I'll bet they use a third party to fit it!

Play hardball, tell the dealer your not happy with the car as its not what you ordered/paid for and ask for a new replacement, that would be an 2010MY. Also ask for a courtsey car until your replacement is ready. I wouldn't want a brand new car being taken apart to retrofit some kit they had forgotten.

I had a similar thing with folding mirrors not being fitted as spec'd. Dealers told me they could not be retro fitted, which is total crap. Got quotes from three separate dealers stating it could be done so they were forced into a corner. I really don't understand the issue dealers have with anything like this. Its no skin off their nose as they claim it all back. To this end I would push for the MY10, or if they can't swing that there should be some sort of rebate against what you originally paid.

I had a similar thing with folding mirrors not being fitted as spec'd. Dealers told me they could not be retro fitted, which is total crap. Got quotes from three separate dealers stating it could be done so they were forced into a corner. I really don't understand the issue dealers have with anything like this. Its no skin off their nose as they claim it all back. To this end I would push for the MY10, or if they can't swing that there should be some sort of rebate against what you originally paid.

Assuming the original order was placed correctly by the dealer. :3sadwalk:

Assuming the original order was placed correctly by the dealer. :3sadwalk:

Thats a fair point mate. To be truthful I never thought of that. I guess you just assume that as you have a copy of the spec sheet it would take a complete idiot to not forward it on to the build location. Saying that though, and my experience of Audi dealers the paperwork's got to get past a lot of idiots before it reaches its final destination!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm still trying to get this one resolved, it doesn't help though that I'm going through the leasing company rather than directly with the dealership.

Apparently the RNS-E is now on back order and it could be a couple of weeks before I get the car now. Still hopeful this might result in a MY10 unit, but we'll see.

Every dealer is the same ourselves included, if its not something Audi uk list as a retrofit it causes problems.

From a parts view, its always a pain to look up parts when the car isnt ment to have them as standard. Usually entails looking at a car which has the parts fitted from factory.

Techs don't like doing it as Audi dont give any info about retrofit unless its a recognised kit.

And from a service point of view, they are worried about loosing time and money for a job that has no set time and they have no experience of doing.

Hope yours gets sorted out.