ABS & TCS lights help

xs2man

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a while since I been on here, but thought I would get in touch regarding this problem.

Ever since getting my car back from its last service, I have been having this problem where the ABS and TCS lights come on. Now they aint on all the time, usually if I floor it a little.

In fact, when I have my fast road map on (st3) it can sometimes not come on. When I have a lesser map (standard or economy), its almost guaranteed to come on within 2-3 mins.

They don't ever go off either, until the ignition is turned off and on again. I have had the motor VAG-COM'd and all that comes up is glo plug 3 and something to do with the fans.

To be honest, I am not sure if the ABS and TCS actually are still working or not, as I dont ever drive it hard enough, but I can do if it will help diagnose the problem?

Anyone had this before? Anyone know what the answer may be?

Was there an alignment or any steering/suspension work performed as part of the last service?

If so, I suspect the steering adaptation needs to be "re-taight" where the "centre" position is.

Keith

Not with the service, but had actually been done after, as the service showed up a tracking issue whereby my front tyres were wrecked in only a couple months.

How do I perform this then? Do I have to take it to Audi?

Do a search in the VAG-COM forum. I've never had to do it myself, but there's some process which has to be done with the VAG-COM.

Basically, the system has to learn WHERE 'straight-ahead' is. If your tracking has been adjusted so that it's now in a different position, it will thereafter think that the wheel is turned slightly when it's actually running straight. -IT will therefore be EXPECTING some difference in wheel-speed from left-to-right when measured with the ABS sensors on each wheel.

When it sees the SAME speed, it thinks that one wheel is therefore not gripping properly, or something is wrong... basically it starts to 'doubt' its sensor readings, and it wants to know "where North is" again, so that it can recalcuate everything.

Probably an oversimplified analogy, but if you go to the VAG-COM forum, you'll probably get a more comprehensive answer, and maybe find someone who'll do it for you, if you put where you are in your profile.

[edit]Try this link:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php...cs_(MK60)#Sensor_for_Steering_Angle_.28G85.29
[/edit]

Keith

Cheers. I will try this out Thursday and post results.

OK.

Thanks for the info. I tried this out, and it didn't really work. Now my steering whell light comes on aswell. Oops.

However, there was a VW master tech there when I did it, and he managed to deduce what the problem was. It appears that while the tracking was done, they managed to move the steering wheel. Thus knocking off the alignment sensor. Now, when the car first went to a full lock, it must have broken it.

This was deduced as it no longer registers ANY movement in the steering wheel. So it cant register the end stops, and as such the centre position. D'oh.

Not the cheapest sensor either. But at least I now know the most likely cause, therefore solution.

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem, but I think the lesson for others here is to ask to make SURE that anywhere you take an A3/MkV car, you HAVE to check that they KNOW how to do the alignment PROPERLY before you let them loose on the car.

There should be no way to mess up the steering wheel sensor without removing the steering wheel (-not that I can immediately think of anyhow...) -I don't know if they did this or not.

I know that dealerships are expensive, but if mine ever needs alignment, I think I'll have the dealer do mine.

Keith

I take it its the slip ring behind the steering wheel they are talking about? They arent THAT dear, if you dont have a mutifunction wheel or cruise control there are often going on ebay for about £25. Just will also need programmed in too.

Of course you could always take it up with the company who caused the damage by doing the tracking wrong..

Well, the thing is the tracking was actually done back in Feb. So it was a while ago, and I just ran with the problem. I know I shouldn't have, but I work away a lot, and the wife doesn't really bother because it doesn't really affect the driving of the car. Its her car anyway now, so I rarely get a chance to drive it, lol.

About £50 from Audi for the part. So not the end of the world I suppose. Then just getting some-one competent enough to fit it I suppose. I would let Audi do it, but they are expensive, lol. But then if its done right. There is a garage not far from me who stole one of Audi's master techs recently though, might be a better prospect. Or get that vw master tech to fit it when I go down to pick up his springs.

Yeah, will get Audi to do the alignment in future I think. It was expensive at £74, but then if its done right, and without harmful side effects, then it is really cheap.