accident

ru4shaw

Reaction score
hello wondering if anyone would know if im at fault
i got to a roundabout and i was in the left lane, there were two lanes. there were 4 exits the 1st had big gates so nobody could go down there them 2 more exits, them the final exit to go back on your self.
i went pass the first 2 exits and was in the lane for the 3rd exit, and a car (4x4) was in the right lane of me has tryed to come into my lane and hit the drivers side rear wheel and scraped the pannel above the rear wheel and bumper. there were 2 cars behind me that did the same as me but i think he has tryed to get in the gap between me and the car behind me
would anyone know anything about accidents on roundabouts
thanks

So you were turning right on the roundabout in the left hand lane?

yes but i was already past the 2nd exit in the lane for the 3rd exit

End of the day he moved into a lane you were already in and there wasnt enough space?

On approaching the roundabout, yes you should have been in the right hand lane for turning right but as you approached your exit you should have moved into the left lane so at that point you were then in the right place anyhow. I used to only move into the left when coming off the roundabout but you get so many people trying to undertake you as your coming off the roundabout that your wiser to get into the left lane after passing the preceeding turn off.

alright thanks
he didnt even try to stop when he hit
i went back and checked it and you actually have to change lanes from his lane to get to the exit

Arnt you supposed to give way to right?

ie if two lanes merge into one?

perhaps this may be relavant here?

well where he hit me there was road markings and i was in the left lane to take the exit and he was in the right lane so he had come in my lane but his the rear drivers side of my car

when i was coming of the round about at the 3rd exit there was only one lane for the exit so you have to be in the left lane
i have been to that same round about in the right lane once before and you have to move across to the left lane to get to the exit

thanks a lot

yeah thats what i have been reading
When exiting a roundabout from the right land lane you need to make sure it is safe to cross the left hand lane (even if vehicles in the left lane should not have been there)
If she wanted to take an exit that you were blocking (whether rightly or wrongly), she should have driven around the roundabout again
ive seen things like this on a lot of sites

thanks

mmm, She + 4x4 = did she actually see you?

I'm a biker so i tend to have almost manic observation on a roundabout - keeps you alive!

Sorry but this is what ****** me of at roundabouts, read the highway code, turning right or a uturn, get in the right lane, turning left or straight get in left hand lane, this really does wind me up

Yes they should use common sense of if there's a car there then they should allow for the unforeseen mate, but by rights & law you are in the wrong, bottom line & thats all you should be thinking, law & facts are what matters & wins a case.

yes thats all very well and good Nigel but what if you have mistakenly gone into the wrong lane does that mean I can ram your car and your to blame? NO is the answer and shaw if you have witnesses you will be okay.

Fella I'm just stating facts & law, if you goto court thats what they will check against, I never said it was sensible & common sense did I, but I'm fedup with people that do this, I go in the right lane for a reason & they then do exactly this, fedup cause always having to pull up & they then have the audacity to give you the finger when they're wrong.

To further add if you're in the wrong lane then you give way to the cars to the right 1st then take your turn, apology is also an option & courteous dont you think where as giving the finger is just ****** ignorant & arrogant, same goes for the right lane idiots at roundabout that turn to left lane to go straight, every damn day these idiots do this, sick & tired of it.

yes i admit i was in the wrong lane when i approached the roundabout but i entered the roundabout before he did and somehow he caught up with me, i got someone that saw the incident and they said he was in the wrong becuase by the time he hit me i was already in the right lane and exiting the roundabout and he moved into the lane i was in
it was a he i put she by accident, it was a old k reg 4x4 whith dents all over the place

easy Nigel am just saying it doesn't give the right,your talking to a bloke who nearly t-boned his mates Jag cos he wasn't indicating right and I was opposite at the roundabout but I knew what a tool of a driver he is so just went even though I knew where he was going....nearly got him as well.
not big or clever though.

Mate dont take me wrong I wasnt having a go at anyone personally on here, just reminds me of the idiots I've seen locally around here & its more than often the same idiots here, look I wasnt there neither was anyone else, all I can say mate is you are going to have to prepare yourself for the loss cause if they do take into consideration your driving position interms of which lane you were in & where you were driving to interms of which turning, then you are clearly in the wrong & the witness is irrelevant, remember this is an insurance company & they will say which turning were you taking, which lane were you in, it doesnt even get another look in, I'm sorry if its not what you want to hear, just being honest & stating facts & unfortunately insurance companies, police, courts etc dont care about certains things you mentioned, they only care about fact, but saying that you may get lucky cause of the fact you were on the roundabout before them.

Again though they will say you have to allow & be aware of these situations, fair or not its fact.

Good luck anyway.

i forgot to add i was intercating when i was on the roundabout

Is that anything to do with dogging or something sadistic, lol.

So you were in the left lane but indicating right?

once i realised i was in the wrong lane i intercated, then just as i was turning of becuase i already passed the 2nd exit i got hit

Yeah sounds like on paper your at fault, if your going more than half way round the roundabout then 90% of the time you should be in the right lane. The 4x4 that was next to you obviously has to take that turning, and if your wandering around the roundabout in there path i'm guessing you'll be held at fault.

Good luck though

LOL....
cheers.gif

NHN, at the moment of the accident, he was in the correct position. Nobody will ever ask where he came from or what he did in the previous traffic lights IMHO.

However, he must know he is indeed at fault even if the law doesn't see it this way. Respecting yourself and other drivers around you make the streets safer.:beerchug:
Hiccup, sorry, hiccup, Uhhhh no he was in the wrong position all the way round

You seem to forget fella, there were 2 drivers, the other driver will make a big point of reminding them that he was in the wrong lane to take the turning he needed, hey its a forum to voice opinions & I'm not gonna shout anyone down, but lets give him the facts not fiction, he was in wrong/left lane & was signalling right when he should of been going left, it doesnt get more clean cut that that if they follow the law/rules of the road.

But hey as I said good luck cause knowing how fecked the uk laws are with people getting let of for all kinds of ****, you'll walk away a millionaire, lol

& for my 5000th post I'll bid you all a good night, thanks for listening, I'll be back tomorrow same time same place, less the beer or not, depending how my modding goes tomorrow.

yeah thats wat i ment lol

IMO - your in the wrong for being in the left lane and wanting to go on and hes in the wrong for cutting into your lane.

But your exit was blocked so you had to go on so you didint have a choice.

if it did go to court, i would just saying i was getting off at the exit and that way, it will be his fault for cutting into your lane.

But - you say he hit your rear wheel arch. I think he was slowly moving in behind to get into the left lane and as he was expected you to get off at the junction, he hit the side when you decided to carry on to the next junction and you cut across him...

Like a lot have said before. You were in the wrong as you approached the roundabout. But the relevant point is you were in the correct lane prior to leaving. I really don't see what other options were available to you once the initial mistake was made. If he has hit you in the rear you wouldn't have even been able to brake and allow him in front. Unless they back track to the point of entering the roundabout I would have thought you would be ok. On a side note why the hell do they put traffic lights on roundabouts? No lie there is a roundabout by me which has 5 sets of lights on it. Totally defeats the object of a roundabout in the first place.......I now understand why my ****** road tax is so high

IMO - your in the wrong for being in the left lane and wanting to go on and hes in the wrong for cutting into your lane.

But your exit was blocked so you had to go on so you didint have a choice.

if it did go to court, i would just saying i was getting off at the exit and that way, it will be his fault for cutting into your lane.

But - you say he hit your rear wheel arch. I think he was slowly moving in behind to get into the left lane and as he was expected you to get off at the junction, he hit the side when you decided to carry on to the next junction and you cut across him...

What a load of rubbish & my reason for taking a strong stance is purely cause I'm fedup with people that do this, its caused me untold times to pull up & almost hit people & as said they usually give you abuse or the finger, really fecking winds me up.

The guy wasnt wrong to cut in as you say(take his exit), it was his right to move across to the left, the other driver was using the road law & that is indisputable & shaw's exit wasnt blocked at all, he was taking the 3rd exit & was clearly in the wrong lane & there is no way if you analyse the situation that he can goto court & say I was taking that exit & get away with it.

1st he cant say I came of the 1st turning which was the gates exit which would then make him legally ok to take the 3rd exit, he came onto the roundabout the turning before this so he should of been in the right lane in front of this driver & the witnesses would say he was coming onto the roundabout from that turning anyway so which ever way he goes he cant win by road law anyway, pure luck maybe.

But I've been in a legal claim & the lawyer made the other party look so unbelievably stupid & tbh very embarassing for them given they were obviously lying, going along the lines of can you see round corners sir even though you were 5 metres inside a pub with no side windows & the pubs sat back from the road anyway, xray vision perhaps, lol.

Stop looking for excuses & just take a look in the mirror, it was your fault simple as that, you've admitted you were in the wrong lane & take the hit if it happens, it doesnt matter what we say anyway we can make you feel better about it now but when the penny drops & its claimed in the other drivers favour what are these words supporting you going to mean, sod all, follow the road law then you know whose at fault then anything that turns out better than that is a bonus & have to say stroke of luck.

On another note, most witnesses will support you fully at the scene but when asked to give a truthful statement it usually differs somewhat from what they originally saw, interms of they've had time to think again what they really saw truthfully.

End of the day, no matter what, the 4x4 drove into a lane where there wasnt enough space and caused the collision. It could be that RU4Shaw was undertaking and put himself in a position that led to the accident but it was the 4x4 not taking proper observations that was the reason there was a collision.

Assuming RU4Shaw was coming off on the 3rd exit he would actually be in the correct lane at the point of collision despite being in wrong lane earlier. After the preceeding exit has been passed you should move back into the left lane to exit the roundabout.

Its the fear that they wont be able to get back into the left lane to exit is the reason old people drive round the whole roundabout in the left lane no matter what exit they are taking.

a wee reminder too :

http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/roundabouts.html

when i got onto the roundabout he pulled of a few seconds later them me so when i was on teh roundabout there was nobody on my right so i could easily go round the roundabout to take the third exit, and he hit me past the 2nd exit and just before the third

So he did what he was supposed to do & take his exit given he was in the right hand lane & taking 3rd exit as per K's link above.

To add doesnt matter if he pulled of a minute after you, you were in the wrong lane, he was thinking as most of us do the left hand driver is taking either 1st or straight exit so why would he have to worry about you anyway, I mean come on stop looking to blame other driver.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself mate, lol.

I'm not going to rant or have a go, but this is idicative of a massive problem with road-sense and etiquette among drivers on Britain's roads - everyone is losing the skills at roundabouts... My mrs will confirm that I'm forever ranting at traffic on roundabouts because I reckon less than 5% of drivers know how to negotiate them correctly.

There's a very busy roundabout near us, at the intersection of four busy roads (with another two exits for a filling-station and bus-lane), and I swear if you stood in the middle of it between 08:00 and 09:00 when it's probably at it's busiest, you might see a couple of vehicles get it right, a few more which make at least a decent attempt, and hundreds which make a catalogue of errors - signalling is the worst by miles - either people don't bother or the signal they give is contradictory to the action they ultimately take. Folks going all the way around in the inside lane, or diving over chevrons at an exit-only lane to rejoin the flow to another exit is another big problem.

I've been inches away from cobbling-together some homebrew signage and posting "F**king Indicate Properly" all over the roundabout described above. Of course the council's idea is not to make sure people drive properly, they'd much rather put traffic lights on the roundabout, thus negating the point of it's existence entirely.

...The final nail in the coffin for me and roundabouts happened on a pretty busy roundabout near a large police station, when I had to stop for a traffic patrol car which turned right off the roundabout (left past the front of me), with not a single blink of orange.

OK, So I fibbed a bit about not ranting, I'll not 'have a go' though; however ru4shaw, you might need to brace yourself for heartache with the insurance companies if in describing the situation you are compelled to use this phrase:

once i realised i was in the wrong lane

Good luck with it all the same...

Regards,

Rob.

if the other driver hits the rear part of your car, it really doesnt matter who is in what lane, usually if someone hits you from the back its their fault, simple as that, driving too close, not reacting in-time etc... how can someone infront do anything to prevent an accident happening? regardless of driver error, thats why the highway code refers to stopping distances, leaving car lengths when following cars, expect the unexpected, this country has some rubbish terrible drivers on the roads

thats what i thought i understand i was in the wrong lane but i was in the correct lane when i was hit
dont think the guy thought i had insurance
ill put in a claim in today

I'll remember the advice given here by some,as soon as you see someone in the wrong lane plough into them....tis perfectly acceptable and their insurance will accept they are at fault apparently.
let us know how you get on.

Ok whose up for a GROUP BUY

Hearing how some people view the way to drive on the roads these days I feel obligated to start a group buy for the following, which is also revised so must have taken into consideration the feedback on this post how driving should be done, lol:

HighwayCodeLRG.jpg

It's simple, whether the OP was in the right or wrong lane, the 4x4 should have looked before moving into the lane, isn't it called mirror,signal manouver ? Not drive into a lane regardless. Simple !

I suspect the 1968 revision of the highway code will back me up,perhaps a group buy for the whole country would be in order

No, the 4x4 shouldn't have hit him, but it sounds like our man perhaps should've traversed the roundabout in a bit better fashion...

At the end of the day if someone emerged from a T-junction as you were passing it at 60pmh and you hit them, is it your fault?

I wholeheartedly agree that the 4x4 driver could've avoided the accident, and would've been able to if s/he was driving carefully; but I think the insurance companies (neither wishing to pay-out) will likely have a bit of a debate about whether the accident would've happened if OP had crossed the roundabout in textbook fashion...

Again, good luck to OP...

Regards,

Rob.

Observation is the keyword here. Even if you didnt know where you where going you should have noticed a sign before the roundabout.

If you plan to take the 1st or 2nd exit you should be in the left lane. If you plan to take the 3rd or 4th exit you should be in the right lane. That assumes that the exits you are taking are single lanes.

If the exits are dual lanes you may be able to take 2nd exit if in right hand side lane however, you should still be aware of traffic around you. Especially if someone tries to do what you have done!

This is basic highway code stuff so if I were an insurer I would be seeking recovery from you. You might be able to reduce some liability if you were signalling a right indicator but, this wouldnt negate all of your liability for being in the wrong lane on approach to a roundabout - irrespective of whether or not the first exit was blocked.

http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/roundabouts.html