Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status

Low Washer Level Warning

Hi guys,

Had my 06 3.2 S-Line for about three months now and I've just ran out of windscreen/light washer fluid for the first time (must be a big bottle!). The thing is that I had no warning that it was low and now its empty II still have no warning. Surely a 28k car should have a washer level warning?

Also, my cars got the fully DIS so it should have it, well its says so in the manual.

It is something that I can turn on in Vagcom?

Cheers
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You probably turned it of when playing mate, lol

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You probably turned it of when playing mate, lol
    lol, I was thinking that as well! Do we know how to turn it on again?

S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

is a retronaut

Status
    In instruments coding mate. If you enable it but you don't actually have a sensor for it then it'll tell you the fluid is low no matter what level it's at.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Cheers mate, what module number etc?

Build Thread Here!

is a retronaut

Status
    I don't know mate. I always just click on 'Instruments' lol
    8P2 S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Woo, got it working using the info on this page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...8EC/8ED/8HE%29 which is for a A4! Got a nice little icon telling me to fill up!

Although it has knocked out my dials that are always lit up Humm, need to a bit of digging!

Build Thread Here!

is a retronaut

Status
    How much have you used VCDS mate? At first I didn't get the coding on instruments. Basically look at every feature you have installed add all the numbers together and then input that total.

Do you get what I mean?
    8P2 S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Right, sorted it:

Click on '17-Instruments'
    Click 'Recode - 07'
    One of the digits (the one fartherest to the right) is for the instrument cluster backlighting configuration and washer level warning. It's originally set at '3' (for the US models). You can change it to '4' (Pointers and scales ON, with Dimming Feature) or '8' just for the washer warning, or '9' for washer warning and all pointors and scales on! For example, change 0004203 to 0004204.

Hope that helps someone!

Build Thread Here!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    How much have you used VCDS mate? At first I didn't get the coding on instruments. Basically look at every feature you have installed add all the numbers together and then input that total.

Do you get what I mean?
    Its sorted now, but if you could explain what you mean I might be able to understand why its sorted!?!

I've also just noticed that my car was set on 'Rest Of World' and not UK which I've just changed. What does that setting do under instruments?

Thanks for your help.

Build Thread Here!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
    Its sorted now, but if you could explain what you mean I might be able to understand why its sorted!?!

I've also just noticed that my car was set on 'Rest Of World' and not UK which I've just changed. What does that setting do under instruments?

Thanks for your help.
    I don't know what affect the country has but I'm sure it must do something!

Using the A3 wiki for example:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_(8P)_Instrument_Cluster#Coding

This part in particular:
    • ????xxx: Equipment
      • +0001 = 2nd Fuel Tank Characteristic (All-Wheel Drive)
      • +0002 = Highline without DIS (for Midline variant 9Q3 - Automatic without DIS)
      • +0004 = Manual Transmission (not midline variant 9Q3)
      • +0008 = 2nd tire circumference pair (e.g. winter tires)
      • +0016 = Tire Pressure Monitoring (MY 2007+)
      • +0032 = Advanced Front Lighting System (AFS / MY 2006+)
    If you have an all wheel drive car with TPMS and advance lighting you add 1+16+32 to get 49 and then the first four digits of this code (the ????) would be 0049. Hope that helps, got to go to the pub now.....
    Last edited by Staz; 23rd May 2009 at 00:48.
    8P2 S3

3rd Gear

Status
    Country coding affects a couple of things like instrumentation backlighting with the headlights off, if I remember correctly. -Also, a couple of the requirements for alert wording differ between Canada and the US for example.

For example, I think the "handbrake on" warning differs on US/Canadian variants...

Now that I think of it though, "you left the handbrake on, you complete berk" would be a WONDERFUL way of wording it... Maybe if we had a recorded voice just like the old 'Austin Maestro Vandem Plas' used to have...

(I kid... -I kid!)

Keith

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The coding has a helper anyway on most modules & it uses the label files for the specific module you have on your car or if they have all the same settings/coding for all module versions it uses one generic label file, so you shouldnt need to look at the wiki most times as vag usually has much more info than the wiki.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    The coding has a helper anyway on most modules & it uses the label files for the specific module you have on your car or if they have all the same settings/coding for all module versions it uses one generic label file, so you shouldnt need to look at the wiki most times as vag usually has much more info than the wiki.
    Yes but if you don't understand the concept of the coding then it's of no use. As I said I didn't understand it at first. It's not complicated but if you don't know you don't know!
    8P2 S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah but unfortunately the wiki isnt exactly spot on & is missing number of modules, so wouldnt fully rely on this, but the helper is exactly this, if you are able to get into coding & make changes then one would assume from this level of understanding you should be able to understand the principle & the helper popup windows advice/info.

Anyway you must be the king of Instruments 17 if thats the only one you use, lol

is a retronaut

Status
    Nooooooooooooooo! I was only using that as an example of how to use VCDS! I don't think MF-Racing realised that you have to add all the numbers together. Unlike other bits where you just select a number from a list.

See what I'm getting at?
    8P2 S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well tbh in short coding as I would call it, you dont have to add all the numbers together on all the modules, on some you have to just enter a digit from 0-9 in the location of each X & some you add up for a total for the code of features as listed & some you actually do both eg. 17 for needles & dimming features, but I can see your point to a degree, but if he got that far then I would think he could get the rest tbh mate.

is a retronaut

Status
    Well he obviously didn't as he asked for help!
    8P2 S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    He quite obviously did Leon, he resolved it himself

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
    8P2 S3