Low Washer Level Warning

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had my 06 3.2 S-Line for about three months now and I've just ran out of windscreen/light washer fluid for the first time (must be a big bottle!). The thing is that I had no warning that it was low and now its empty II still have no warning. Surely a £28k car should have a washer level warning?

Also, my cars got the fully DIS so it should have it, well its says so in the manual.

It is something that I can turn on in Vagcom?

Cheers :)

You probably turned it of when playing mate, lol

In instruments coding mate. If you enable it but you don't actually have a sensor for it then it'll tell you the fluid is low no matter what level it's at.

Cheers mate, what module number etc?

I don't know mate. I always just click on 'Instruments' lol

How much have you used VCDS mate? At first I didn't get the coding on instruments. Basically look at every feature you have installed add all the numbers together and then input that total.

Do you get what I mean?

Right, sorted it:

Click on '17-Instruments'
Click 'Recode - 07'
One of the digits (the one fartherest to the right) is for the instrument cluster backlighting configuration and washer level warning. It's originally set at '3' (for the US models). You can change it to '4' (Pointers and scales ON, with Dimming Feature) or '8' just for the washer warning, or '9' for washer warning and all pointors and scales on! For example, change 0004203 to 0004204.

Hope that helps someone!

How much have you used VCDS mate? At first I didn't get the coding on instruments. Basically look at every feature you have installed add all the numbers together and then input that total.

Do you get what I mean?

Its sorted now, but if you could explain what you mean I might be able to understand why its sorted!?!

I've also just noticed that my car was set on 'Rest Of World' and not UK which I've just changed. What does that setting do under instruments?

Thanks for your help.

Its sorted now, but if you could explain what you mean I might be able to understand why its sorted!?!

I've also just noticed that my car was set on 'Rest Of World' and not UK which I've just changed. What does that setting do under instruments?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what affect the country has but I'm sure it must do something!

Using the A3 wiki for example:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_(8P)_Instrument_Cluster#Coding

This part in particular:
  • ????xxx: Equipment
    • +0001 = 2nd Fuel Tank Characteristic (All-Wheel Drive)
    • +0002 = Highline without DIS (for Midline variant 9Q3 - Automatic without DIS)
    • +0004 = Manual Transmission (not midline variant 9Q3)
    • +0008 = 2nd tire circumference pair (e.g. winter tires)
    • +0016 = Tire Pressure Monitoring (MY 2007+)
    • +0032 = Advanced Front Lighting System (AFS / MY 2006+)
If you have an all wheel drive car with TPMS and advance lighting you add 1+16+32 to get 49 and then the first four digits of this code (the ????) would be 0049. Hope that helps, got to go to the pub now.....

Country coding affects a couple of things like instrumentation backlighting with the headlights off, if I remember correctly. -Also, a couple of the requirements for alert wording differ between Canada and the US for example.

For example, I think the "handbrake on" warning differs on US/Canadian variants...

Now that I think of it though, "you left the handbrake on, you complete berk" would be a WONDERFUL way of wording it... Maybe if we had a recorded voice just like the old 'Austin Maestro Vandem Plas' used to have...

(I kid... -I kid!)

Keith

The coding has a helper anyway on most modules & it uses the label files for the specific module you have on your car or if they have all the same settings/coding for all module versions it uses one generic label file, so you shouldnt need to look at the wiki most times as vag usually has much more info than the wiki.

The coding has a helper anyway on most modules & it uses the label files for the specific module you have on your car or if they have all the same settings/coding for all module versions it uses one generic label file, so you shouldnt need to look at the wiki most times as vag usually has much more info than the wiki.

Yes but if you don't understand the concept of the coding then it's of no use. As I said I didn't understand it at first. It's not complicated but if you don't know you don't know!

Yeah but unfortunately the wiki isnt exactly spot on & is missing number of modules, so wouldnt fully rely on this, but the helper is exactly this, if you are able to get into coding & make changes then one would assume from this level of understanding you should be able to understand the principle & the helper popup windows advice/info.

Anyway you must be the king of Instruments 17 if thats the only one you use, lol

Nooooooooooooooo! I was only using that as an example of how to use VCDS! I don't think MF-Racing realised that you have to add all the numbers together. Unlike other bits where you just select a number from a list.

See what I'm getting at?

Well tbh in short coding as I would call it, you dont have to add all the numbers together on all the modules, on some you have to just enter a digit from 0-9 in the location of each X & some you add up for a total for the code of features as listed & some you actually do both eg. 17 for needles & dimming features, but I can see your point to a degree, but if he got that far then I would think he could get the rest tbh mate.

He quite obviously did Leon, he resolved it himself