EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Pre-facelift steering wheel

Hi All,

I have a 2004 pre-facelift A3 which of course included the old style steering wheel. I have seen a few on German ebay that have red stitching and look nice, but nothing like the facelift steering wheels you can fit (TT, S3 flat bottomed wheels ) I know these can be fitted (Boydie has one!) but costs 600+

My question is, if I was to buy a TT wheel for example, cut the middle section out and had the airbag saction of my wheel welded in it's place (by a pro) would this be allowed? or is it a bit dodgy?? I assume the real thing has welds on it too??

Discuss! lol

Matty xx
    Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport - HID's, Parking Sensors, Full Leather, some rattles.....

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    why with all the cutting?? Are you hoping to keep costs down by retaining your own airbag? Im sure it would cost more to weld two butchered wheels together and have it perfect & safe.

I believe nobody on the forum will advise that course. The FBW is closer to 400 on german ebay.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Thought it would sound a bit dodgy!

400 for the wheel, plus module and slip ring and coding = 600+

5th Gear

Status
    Lately I have seen at least 3 flat bottom (fbmfsw) go for 350 - 370 inc airbag, etc.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah I certainly wouldnt advise doing as you've mentioned, seriously rethink mate about this, as K says welding etc costs would add up to probably same or more than a proper job with fbmfsw, anyway if you've seen Andy's setup which I supplied you'd be thinking 590ish is nothing with the finished product.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    ok, thanks all for your input. I'll stick to what I have.

1st Gear

Status
    I had a similar issue as my original steering wheel was horrible and shiny & decided forking out 600 on a steering wheel was a bit too much. Have a look for an earlier model S-line steering wheel on ebay instead. You can fit the existing airbag & it feels much better (perforated edge) than the original & looks pretty good. Only cost about 70 as well & just feels much nicer.

1st Gear

Status
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Lenkrad-Lederlenk...QQcmdZViewItem

Will this fit mine? (2004 8P pre-face) It looks the right shape but only states
    96 - 99? I know the older steering wheels have a different sized airbag but this looks spot on?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyV5 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Lenkrad-Lederlenk...QQcmdZViewItem

Will this fit mine? (2004 8P pre-face) It looks the right shape but only states
    96 - 99? I know the older steering wheels have a different sized airbag but this looks spot on?

That looks like a fairly old style wheel mate, try this for 60!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-s-line-st...ayphotohosting

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    nearly, should fit, but the badge looks old. This is the one I got for mine (paid much less though)..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-A4-A6-...3A1%7C294%3A50

1st Gear

Status
    Hastie1776 - I have a pre-facelift A3.

jb111s - I would like the red/white stitching and the perforated leather section. I think the it's just a bad pic of the link I posted. I could replace the badge though?

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry, mine does have perforated leather all round. For some reason that one didn't. Weird.

I'd presume that one you've seen will fit, as long as you don't mind the badge being a bit different ?

1st Gear

Status
    Got any pics of yours?

1st Gear

Status
    Not on this machine but. Here's an early pre facelift s-line with one fitted..

[img]http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/med...a3-2-large.jpg[/img]

As you can see it's perforated & has the smaller badge.