Pre-facelift steering wheel

MattyV5

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2004 pre-facelift A3 which of course included the old style steering wheel. I have seen a few on German ebay that have red stitching and look nice, but nothing like the facelift steering wheels you can fit (TT, S3 flat bottomed wheels :rock:) I know these can be fitted (Boydie has one!) but costs £600+

My question is, if I was to buy a TT wheel for example, cut the middle section out and had the airbag saction of my wheel welded in it's place (by a pro) would this be allowed? or is it a bit dodgy?? I assume the real thing has welds on it too??

Discuss! lol

Matty xx

why with all the cutting?? Are you hoping to keep costs down by retaining your own airbag? Im sure it would cost more to weld two butchered wheels together and have it perfect & safe.

I believe nobody on the forum will advise that course. The FBW is closer to £400 on german ebay.

Thought it would sound a bit dodgy!

£400 for the wheel, plus module and slip ring and coding = £600+

Lately I have seen at least 3 flat bottom (fbmfsw) go for £350 - £370 inc airbag, etc.

Yeah I certainly wouldnt advise doing as you've mentioned, seriously rethink mate about this, as K says welding etc costs would add up to probably same or more than a proper job with fbmfsw, anyway if you've seen Andy's setup which I supplied you'd be thinking £590ish is nothing with the finished product.

ok, thanks all for your input. I'll stick to what I have.

I had a similar issue as my original steering wheel was horrible and shiny & decided forking out £600 on a steering wheel was a bit too much. Have a look for an earlier model S-line steering wheel on ebay instead. You can fit the existing airbag & it feels much better (perforated edge) than the original & looks pretty good. Only cost about £70 as well & just feels much nicer.

Hastie1776 - I have a pre-facelift A3.

jb111s - I would like the red/white stitching and the perforated leather section. I think the it's just a bad pic of the link I posted. I could replace the badge though?

Sorry, mine does have perforated leather all round. For some reason that one didn't. Weird.

I'd presume that one you've seen will fit, as long as you don't mind the badge being a bit different ?

Not on this machine but. Here's an early pre facelift s-line with one fitted..

URL]

As you can see it's perforated & has the smaller badge.