Evoms CAI fitted! Now with added engine cover.

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I ordered a Forge CAI from DPM nearly 2 weeks ago, but as it was going to take another week (I should add that it wasn't DPM's fault, they are sent straight from Forge) I cancelled it and ordered an Evoms CAI from Regal Autosport.

It arrived after only a day and this afternoon I managed to fit it in an hour and a half.

I used the Golf V instructions from the Evoms site:

http://www.evoms.com/WebSiteUsers/evoadmin/install/MKVFlowInstallInstructions.pdf

and Iggu's brilliant Forge write up:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58708

It was a doddle to fit to be honest. It only took so long because unfortunately I didn't pay attention to Iggu's instruction to get a 24mm 12 point deep socket and I got a 6 point. I needed it to remove the plastic engine mounts so I could fit the heatshield. I tried using the slip joints instead but ended up ruining the mounts (part number anyone please? :sorry:) I'll get the right socket at a later date and fit the shield then.

The whole kit isn't an exact fit for the engine bay but it's in and secure, it's just a bit snug at the filter end that's all!

DSC00683.jpg

I'm awaiting an Evoms engine cover from Regal also to make the bay look a bit better. Why can't VAG do like Honda and just make the engine gorgeous in the first place?!

Been for a spin and I must say I was quite suprised by the noise! Iggu says the Forge wasn't a vocal thing but the Evoms certainly is! There are sucking and blowing noises all over the place! It reminds me of the K&N my mate once fitted to his Nova SR, but with added turbo whooshes and whistles.

Performance wise I'm not sure just yet. I'll have to give it time. I was too busy concentrating on the noise!

Now I can't wait to get the Miltek and Stage 2 remap :rockwoot:

Thanks again Iggu and thanks to Jamiekip also :friends:

Last edited:
This is a windup isnt it Leon, you've got some of these german sausages & strapped them together havnt you, come on tell the truth:

black_pudding.jpg

This is a windup isnt it Leon, you've got some of these german sausages & strapped them together havnt you, come on tell the truth:

No more sweeties for you!

One word for you mate & take heed of your next reply: DVD

lmfao

Sorry but I thought you spoke in "ACRONYMS" :whistle2:

Mine took a while to get used to but I quite like it now, on full chat it makes some amazing noises, got any pics of the engine cover you mentioned and price ?

Brilliant Staz - and thanks for the kind words. That deep socket is a must ! Looks good that mate and will make all the difference performance-wise as that OEM engine cover thing is a joke !
So mate - the modding has begun in earnest. Now for the Milltek ? ;)

Nah my favourite is my missus but the Tubes good enough while I'm in UK & she's in Italy, lol

Brilliant Staz - and thanks for the kind words. That deep socket is a must ! Looks good that mate and will make all the difference performance-wise as that OEM engine cover thing is a joke !
So mate - the modding has begun in earnest. Now for the Milltek ? ;)

Words are deserved :icon_thumright:

I'm thinking Milltek in a couple of months. 100% that I'm doing it though :rock:

Looks great mate, good job!

Did you pay the full £370 or was there a forum discount? :whistle2:

guffy.

I notice you don't have the forge DV...... Hint hint :whistle2::rock:

No and I wasn't planning on fitting one TBH. IIRC the only benefit is the reliability, but if it ain't broken! Is the sound the main reason why people get them??

Looks great mate, good job!

Did you pay the full £370 or was there a forum discount? :whistle2:

guffy.

Thanks!

PM sent.

Glad you're pleased with it mate.
You going to post your review elsewhere? :D

Also, consider the Milltek DP on the stock back box... it's working very well for me, and will cost you half the price of the full milltek ;)

Is the sound the main reason why people get them??
I believe that there's no significant difference unless you also get the Forge SPACER also...

I -likewise- was waiting until mine failed before worrying about a Forge. -They're right here in town, and one of the guys has an A3. We've been planning a meetup and he was going to go though all the Forge options, but so far it's not materialised...

That's my understanding, and I think it's right, but I couldn't swear to it.

Keith

No and I wasn't planning on fitting one TBH. IIRC the only benefit is the reliability, but if it ain't broken! Is the sound the main reason why people get them??

Thanks!

PM sent.

AFAIK,the latest OEM version from Audi is more reliable than the original,and has the advantage for those who don't want the sound effects,of being as quiet as the original as well.

I believe that there's no significant difference unless you also get the Forge SPACER also...

Without the spacer there is a huge difference in sound - but only if you have an aftermarket Cold Air Intake system like Forge or EVOMs. This allows the air redirected from the DV into the intake to echo around in the wide diameter piping giving the sound effect.

Without the spacer there is a huge difference in sound - but only if you have an aftermarket Cold Air Intake system like Forge or EVOMs. This allows the air redirected from the DV into the intake to echo around in the wide diameter piping giving the sound effect.

Aha, well TBH it's ****** loud enough as it is with just the Evoms!

I'll stick to my original plan and if and when this DV fails I'll replace it with the new OEM one.

Also, consider the Milltek DP on the stock back box... it's working very well for me, and will cost you half the price of the full milltek ;)

I need to finally say hello elsewhere first! lol

Just the DP? I thought it was the sports cat too that gave the extra performance.

That's what I want from the exhaust, more power and more deep burbley noise! :thrashi:

On the Forge website its says that a spacer would be needed in order to hear the "atmospheric" air sound release...or worded similar?

I have stock intake...going to fit my DV and spacer over the weekend thanks to WarrenCox's instructions :D

is is a straight fit or does the std cat back need modifying?

is the spacer a requirement for the 8l's 007p aswell to get the additional noise?

Just the DP? I thought it was the sports cat too that gave the extra performance.

That's what I want from the exhaust, more power and more deep burbley noise! :thrashi:

Apologies - yes I have the sports cat too, and a custom centre section marrying it all to the OEM back box.
Car sounds almost stock when driving normally (so doesn't pee the girlfriend off!), but hoof it, and it sounds way better. ;)
I've not had any problems, and would recommend trying it before going for the full system :D

I'm visting my folks in the north east if you want have a look for yourself mate

Can you do this. I didn't know you can use the standard backbox with miltek DP. If I was to want what you have what would I need it terms or parts?

Who did your modifying of the cat?

David

Regal did it for me Dave.
Down pipe with sports cat, custom centre section (straight pipe ;) ) then bolted on to the OEM back box.
I get 30lb/ft more torque when the boost comes on and headline figures are up too.
Makes a big difference and the OEM back box is pretty free breathing anyway.
The DP is the weakest link... have you seen the OEM one?

UPDATE

I have been out today and bought the right socket so the heatshield is now fitted:

DSC00685-1.jpg

I don't know the full ins and outs of the benefits of the heatshield but I fitted this 5 minutes after driving (locally) and the whole area was very hot and the intake itself was pretty hot too. Next time I drive I'll do a comparisson.

I tried to make a video today as promised but there was too much background noise to be able to hear the intake noise. I have made a short sound clip with my phone with it next to the intake and just giving it a few revs. Not the best but you can hear the intake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKjboE2HAY

I'm visting my folks in the north east if you want have a look for yourself mate

I'm at my mum's until Thursday mate then I'll be off again on the Saturday morning never to return! Thanks for the offer though mate :icon_thumright:

If it sounds nice with an intake, then perhaps it will sound even better with a spacer! :icon_thumright:

Its interesting this - because the VAG system is a closed system with no air allowed to vent to atmosphere (this is why you don't have a blow off/dump valve). So the spacer cannot vent air out of the system - it must create a sort of echo chamber which mimics the sound of a dump valve.
To be honest the noise of a Forge DV + Forge Intake would (I'm sure) drown out any noise from this spacer as its pretty dramatic when you really pile on the boost and then let go. On a narrow street or tree-lined road where the sound reverberates, people notice it from 100 yards away and turn round to look.
Its especially effective when trying to frighten grannies.

sound like.... Darth Vader :yum:
sounds and looks great. even with the oem dv. :beerchug:

Not sure bout the IGGU write up as the very first pictue in his link is 100% not a Forge intake ...we dont make that , theother point is in our test on the 2.0 ...any intake that was located or finished with the filter in the engine bay during our test lost power over the stock air box, we only made power when we located the front of the engine low down , we are currently looking at a nedw and different omprived design for the 2.o turbos

Do you mean the thread you replied in?
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=611178&postcount=90

Iggu - what have you got on your car mate? :(

Jamie ...my bad , I am a **** .. looked to quickly .. moral , dont reda to fast or post late when your knackered , its a Forge

I think you should edit your original post mate.

Jamie ...my bad , I am a **** .. looked to quickly .. moral , dont reda to fast or post late when your knackered , its a Forge

Forge was on the razzle last night !
Don't worry mate we all need a blow out every now and again.