Badger5AH Fabrications
    oat
    Neutral

Status

Car Buyers beware-flaw in HPI mileage checks

Yesterday I returned home from doing a deal on an S3 at an Audi main dealer. Did a quick MOT check using VOSA and it transpires the previous owner has done a Marty McFly and gone back in time with my S3.
    I would have thought an HPI check would have picked this up but it did not.

Dealer refunded my deposit and is as shocked/gutted as I am, although they are in utter shock this hasn't been unearthed during their HPI check
    This got me thinking and after a lot of research I've discovered ANY HPI mileage checks are NOT linked to the VOSA MOT database!! Talk about a major flaw in the system!! I still can't believe this hasn't been unearthed by anyone before!!

Be careful out there guys when buying, make sure you do a VOSA MOT check for the mileage as well as full HPI for any outstanding finance/insurance write off etc.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/j...ry-Request.jsp

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    glad you got your money back mate, don't think it was ever in doubt, Audi would be as pissed off as you were I'd imagine...it pays to do your own homework now a days...
    revo'd

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Yea lol, O well at least it was that simple and they wasnt pushing you to buy it still.
    Good luck on the hunt still!

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

2nd Gear

Status
    glad you sorted it and got your money back.didnt think you would have much of a problem to be honest

my friend is looking at a S3 today,showing around 50k told him to do a vosa check as well as a HPI check.better to be safe than sorry

how much is a vosa check by the way?

oat
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by afcjay View Post
    glad you sorted it and got your money back.didnt think you would have much of a problem to be honest

my friend is looking at a S3 today,showing around 50k told him to do a vosa check as well as a HPI check.better to be safe than sorry

how much is a vosa check by the way?
    It's Free!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oat View Post
    It's Free!
    have you got a number or web link?

oat
    Neutral

Status
    Google VOSA MOT CHECK - I have a bad feeling I might end up ruining a few peoples days as clocking is more rife than you would imagine...

5th Gear

Status
    http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/j...ry-Request.jsp

Just checked mine.... all fine... nice to know
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2nd Gear

Status
    right handy that.cheers

Neutral

Status
    Guys how would you check a car that you have just seen on sale, because on the vosa site it asks for the regestration and MOT test number from VT20 MOT Test Certificate or VT30 Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate (failure notice) or Document Reference Number from the V5C Registration Certificate issued by the DVLA??

Im just asking because my mums seen a audi a3 8p 2.0 tdi going pretty good price, done a hpi but after eading this thread yesterday its got me thinking as the car shows 36,000 on the clock which for a 2004 is pretty low.

6th Gear

Status
    There is also the assumption that an MOT tester didnt mark down the wrong mileage by accident
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Thats so bleeding cool, Saved, didn't know this existed

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AJ.X View Post
    Guys how would you check a car that you have just seen on sale, because on the vosa site it asks for the regestration and MOT test number from VT20 MOT Test Certificate or VT30 Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate (failure notice) or Document Reference Number from the V5C Registration Certificate issued by the DVLA??

Im just asking because my mums seen a audi a3 8p 2.0 tdi going pretty good price, done a hpi but after eading this thread yesterday its got me thinking as the car shows 36,000 on the clock which for a 2004 is pretty low.
    call the seller and ask for the imfo you require.if they have anything to hide they will refuse

Neutral

Status
    CHEERS, very good point. will do.

4th Gear

Status
    Just checked mine, all ok thankfully. However I checked my 1998 Pug 106 on the database and it shows the first MOT being done in Jan 2006! Im hoping this database has only been around for a few years and thats the reason why. However I did buy the car last year with rediculously low mileage (46k for a 10 year old car) so im starting to worry a little!

5th Gear

Status
    It does state on the site that records only go back to the start of the computerised MOT's i have a couple of the old style MOT certificates in my history folder that didn't show up on the VOSA site..... i think it goes back to around 2005/2006 something like that
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    It does state on the site that records only go back to the start of the computerised MOT's i have a couple of the old style MOT certificates in my history folder that didn't show up on the VOSA site..... i think it goes back to around 2005/2006 something like that
    Thats put my mind at ease then!

Neutral

Status
    I very nearly bought a used Mondeo from a dealer (in fact I put down a 200 deposit on it). Got home, ran a AA check on the vehicle reg and it came back as a 35,000 mileage discrepency. So it had been blantantly clocked by this seller, as when we quizzed him on it, he refused to return our deposit and then changed his autotrader advert to remove the mileage.

We contacted trading standards thinking they would be interested, but after nearly 15 months we have heard nothing on the matter, so I can only assume they are not interested or have bigger / easier fish to fry.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You openly admiited to wanting to buy a mondeo, lol, just kidding but I'd have gone down there & demanded my money in cash or call the police say he just stole my money & wait there until they showed up & say he's selling illegally clocked cars, if didnt work then deal with it another way, certanly wouldnt of left it 15 months mate, seriously

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK