Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Porous cylinder head - coolant loss

Since Christmas my 2.0 TDI Sportback (2005) - approx 55k miles - has been losing coolant. A couple of months ago I took the car to a local independant garage who carried out a pressure test & also looked for external leaks but found nothing. The coolant has recently required topping up every couple of weeks so I have had an Audi dealer investigate the problem and, again, nothing was revealed by the pressure test. Following further investigations by the dealer I have now been advised that the cylinder head requires replacement at a cost of 1,900.

Just thought I would let you know that Audi will not accept any responsibility or acknowledgement that these models seemed to have a problem with the cylinder heads!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Where's the PM button gone :S?

Anyways - my mates got a BKD Engine with less than 9k on the clock for sale without the turbo but other wise complete. I know he was after 700 for it and he can also fit it for another 400 (cheaper than 1900)

And as its compete with alt, injectors, ps pump etc, you can sell your standard bobs and bottom end to make your money back :D

In Manchester, Let me know if i can help you further.
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

4th Gear

Status
    My 56 plate A3 2.0TDI was having coolant loss issues. I took it to the dealer who said it was a leaky EGR cooler, so they replaced that. 2 weeks later I was still having coolant loss issues. Took it back to the dealer who said it was the cylinder head. All replaced FOC under warrenty, and has been all fine since. It's a VERY common and large problem on this engine I beleive.
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

6th Gear

Status
    cylinder heads, bearings, imf, egr, dmf - all common probs, quite costly when they go wrong and Audi dont help unless your under warranty
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too