Opinions Needed...Subtle Differences Black Edition & S3 Sportback

A3BE

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you A3 aficionado's can throw some light on an issue that has come to light regarding my recent test drive in a 09 S3 Sportback and my wifes 3 week old Black Edition.

The door inlays appear to be entirely different in the S3 sportback and also the Xenon headlight switching appears different too.

I have noticed the Xenon light switch on the Black Ed has no DRL setting, where as there is on the S3. Xenons on the Black Ed (Which has Autolights) when switched onto auto have the LED Drl's on as well as the Xenons when the light level is low (darkness) Yet on the S3 the LED Drl's were not on when the Xenons were on! I cannot remember if the demo I was driving had Auto lights, so I was wondering if the differences were due to the S3 having no Auto lights, where as the wife's Black Ed has?

Strange also that the door trim inlays were the of the large type on the S3, which I was expecting on the Black Ed, but are not!:think:

Cheers

Dave

Dave - I think your correct about the auto lights. MY S3 Sportback has the autolights and the above stands (the same as your wifes Black edition)

Dont know about the door trims though.

On my new 2009 A3 Sportback SE I have Adaptive Xenon headlights and Auto-Lights and their is no separate DRL switch.

My previous 2007 A3 Sportback SE also had Xenon headlights and Auto-Lights but that did have a separate DRL switch.

I think the change is in preparation for the law requiring DRLs on all cars which will not allow them to be switched off.

:unsure:
On my new 2009 A3 Sportback SE I have Adaptive Xenon headlights and Auto-Lights and their is no separate DRL switch.

My previous 2007 A3 Sportback SE also had Xenon headlights and Auto-Lights but that did have a separate DRL switch.

I think the change is in preparation for the law requiring DRLs on all cars which will not allow them to be switched off.

Both Black Ed & S3 cars in comparison are 2009 MY!

Obviously your 2007 model A3 would not of had the LED Drl's. Still ........??

Mmmmmm....Strange one! Your comments have surely thrown a spanner in the works:keule:

I can only assume that it is something to do with the lastest models which have the light and rain sensor switch configuration:unsure::uhm:

That is unless someone else can shed some light on this issue.

Still cannot fathom why the interior door inlays are different though. Had a look on Audi website and brochures but nothing there!!

Dave

my black edition sportback (2 weeks old) has the DRL position on the light switch. I did not specify the auto lights options.

as for the inlays, the black edition has Piano black inlays as standard and the S3 has aluminium inlays as standard unless you specified otherwise.

regards

Colin.

:unsure:

Both Black Ed & S3 cars in comparison are 2009 MY!

Obviously your 2007 model A3 would not of had the LED Drl's. Still ........??

Mmmmmm....Strange one! Your comments have surely thrown a spanner in the works:keule:

I can only assume that it is something to do with the lastest models which have the light and rain sensor switch configuration:unsure::uhm:

That is unless someone else can shed some light on this issue.

Still cannot fathom why the interior door inlays are different though. Had a look on Audi website and brochures but nothing there!!

Dave

What date were the Black Edition and S3 made. The production of 2009 MY cars began on 1 July 2008. It's possible that there was an EU directive that all cars produced after 1 January 2009 must not be able to turn their DRLs off, in preparation for DRLs being required on all new cars. Mine was made during the week beginning 13-May-2009. Only a thought.

The other possibility is that it is related to the auto-lights function.
I have a look around in the parts catalogue and see if I can tell what the difference is in the light switch between models with auto-lights and models without.

What date were the Black Edition and S3 made. The production of 2009 MY cars began on 1 July 2008. It's possible that there was an EU directive that all cars produced after 1 January 2009 must not be able to turn their DRLs off, in preparation for DRLs being required on all new cars. Mine was made during the week beginning 13-May-2009. Only a thought.

The other possibility is that it is related to the auto-lights function.
I have a look around in the parts catalogue and see if I can tell what the difference is in the light switch between models with auto-lights and models without.

Not sure the build date of the S3 but the Black Ed was built 1st week of April 09.

Re -; EU directive. This cannot be effective yet as I can turn off the DRL's on the Black Ed!!

I have reached the conclusion that the light switch and Xenon/LED DRL difference is due to one car having a light sensor and one not. And the door inlays that are fitted to the A3 range (sportback) are of a different style to the S3 Sportback. The large curved door inlays on the S3 must be unique to the S3!!!

Thanks for all your input guys.

Dave