Is this ok steering heavier now its lowered?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
hi all,lowered my car 25mm on apex springs,fitted 2 new track rod ends and car drove ok,steering was a bit out,took it and had 4 wheel alignment,now car drives perfectly and steering is in the center,perfect!

I have noticed steering has gone heavier than before (since 4 wheel alignment) is this normal? once lowered does it normally go slightly heavier? oh and ive had 18'' genuine s-line wheels.

(if that makes a difference ,originals were 17's)

Well, it depends how heavier it has got.

Normally yes it gets a more heavy feeling, but not that it should make you think about it.

I went from 16" to 19" and it feels much heavier but still its not like it prevents me for driving like I did before..

oh it doesnt prevent me from driving it,ive noticed it heavier but i was told if anything after alignment it goes lighter,i would like it a bit lighter thats all,its not stupidly heavy but u can tell

anyone with vag-com /vcds can adjust the sensitivity on the steering making it lighter

i have 19" rims fitted and took the steering sensitivity down from 5 to 2

i can feel the road now

anyone with vag-com /vcds can adjust the sensitivity on the steering making it lighter

i have 19" rims fitted and took the steering sensitivity down from 5 to 2

i can feel the road now

This only works for pre 2007 models. Those made after 07 have a different steering rack and cannot be changed.

I think it really depends on the front / rear ratio of the height difference after the lowering. If the rear is lowered more than the front then the F/R weight bias shifts more to the back and the steering will be lighter and vice versa.

mine was set on 8 and ive now set it on 9 and it feels great not too light or too heavy,i can still feel good feedback through the wheel........you guys must have a heavy wheel ......all you guys are 5 and below:wtf:

Surely changing from 17 to 18 inch wheels will make a difference to the steering as tyres fitted to the 18's will be lower and wider.

Mark

Is it possible to change steering sensitivity on S3 2008 ? It is too light for my taste, I can't feel the road proprertly, also it's so unprecise in corners. Can that be changed somehow ? I have VAG-COM

Is it possible to change steering sensitivity on S3 2008 ? It is too light for my taste, I can't feel the road proprertly, also it's so unprecise in corners. Can that be changed somehow ? I have VAG-COM

I don't think so...

What presure are you running on your 18" wheels ?. I use F1's and they need 40psi all round. Pressure goes up with the width and profile.

Would changing the tyre pressure make a difference to the weight of steering . i am running 43 front at the moment and find the steering to light .

Im running 31/32 all round. its best to run near the same pressure as stated on the fuel cap.

If you have 18 inch wheels mate check your fuel cap again...lol no wonder its heavy, your running on flat tyres..

I run 18" 225/40s and the fuel cap says 2.5-3 BAR. unless you have an S-line i doubt your cap lists 18" but take it from me, 40psi will make all the difference.

Last edited:
If you have 18 inch wheels mate check your fuel cap again...lol no wonder its heavy, your running on flat tyres..

I run 18" 225/40s and the fuel cap says 2.5-3 BAR. unless you have an S-line i doubt your cap lists 18" but take it from me, 40psi will make all the difference.
ive entered my car reg and a few others for sale on e-bay this is what i get.........
Put ya reg in the link below and see what you get......heres a reg KP56 UNM
ANYONE GOT A PIC OF THERE FUEL CAP STATING THE PRESSURES ?

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-pressure-search.asp

Last edited:
You want me to go out and take a picture !!!!!...............5 mins

TP.jpg

low speed top fig.
High sped/loaded bottom fig.

Try 40psi and i think it will solve your problem..............and learn to trust people who answer your questions :)

TP.jpg

low speed top fig.
High sped/loaded bottom fig.

Try 40psi and i think it will solve your problem..............and learn to trust people who answer your questions :)
THANKS VERY VERY MUCH.........i went on the kwikfit tyre site they gave me 30 ish so i went off there........thanks very much again. MY CARS A SPORTBACK I GUESS THERE ALL THE SAME ? 5 DOOR/3 DOOR?

Given that the SB is probably a little heavier at 38 to 40psi your erring on the right side. My advice would be to keep an eye on the wear over time but i dont think you will have any problems. i expect you fuel consumption to improve a bit as well and it should roll better of the gas.

Let us know if it solves the steering /heavy problem .:yes:

OK THANKS.......think if i get chance il go to the dealers and check the s-line sb on the forecourt .....make sure this time.

Ive set it at 36 psi (front) and 33 psi (rear)
Ive also adjusted the steering settings to 6
They were originally on 8 when on 17" wheels/tyres when i changed to 18" i put it up to 9,now after the correct inflation i found it ok at 6 maybe could try 5 at some point but for now 6 is ok.