Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN

Thread: Who has some info on the RNS-E replacement?

3rd Gear

Status

Who has some info on the RNS-E replacement?

I've been looking for info on the RNS-E replacement but so far I've not really found anything..... Has anyone got any idea of what it looks like or what it's going to be able to do?

Thanks

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I thought it was just being upgraded.

This is the spec as per the latest online brochure

Satellite Navigation system Plus.
    DVD-based route planning and guidance with MMI
    control logic and 6.5-inch colour monitor, AUX-IN socket, 3D map display, RDS radio, DVD
    player for Navigation system, audio or MP3 CDs (cannot be used at the same time as
    Navigation system) and 2 integrated MMC/SD card slots for playing MP3 files. Includes
    Drivers Information System, European coverage DVD and dynamic route guidance via TMC.
    Replaces other audio system (only in conjunction with electronic climate control)

I thought it was just getting a better res screen and the ability to use SD HC cards up to 16GB.

Edit - The unit should also be capable of true AMI which is another option with the DVD Sat Nav

Audi Music Interface (AMI).
    Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and
    MP3 devices including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod
    nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system
    and multi-function steering wheel (if fitted). It also replicates the iPod display on the audio
    screen and Drivers Information System (if fitted), including track titles. The interface provides

charging function (dependent on device). Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation

Last edited by pluves1; 17th May 2009 at 19:54.
    Now

MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)

MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)

Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

6th Gear

Status
    There is a thread running on Audiforums.us regarding the new RNSe. Keep your eye on this for updates.

http://audiforum.us/rns-e/11210-ami-...rice-list.html

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pluves1 View Post
    I thought it was just being upgraded.

This is the spec as per the latest online brochure

Satellite Navigation system Plus.
    DVD-based route planning and guidance with MMI
    control logic and 6.5-inch colour monitor, AUX-IN socket, 3D map display, RDS radio, DVD
    player for Navigation system, audio or MP3 CDs (cannot be used at the same time as
    Navigation system) and 2 integrated MMC/SD card slots for playing MP3 files. Includes
    Drivers Information System, European coverage DVD and dynamic route guidance via TMC.
    Replaces other audio system (only in conjunction with electronic climate control)

I thought it was just getting a better res screen and the ability to use SD HC cards up to 16GB.

Edit - The unit should also be capable of true AMI which is another option with the DVD Sat Nav

MP3 devices including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod
    nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system
    and multi-function steering wheel (if fitted). It also replicates the iPod display on the audio
    screen and Drivers Information System (if fitted), including track titles. The interface provides

charging function (dependent on device). Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation

****balls, Gen 4 iPod, I'm going to have to buy a new one.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune
    VOLKSWAGEN: 1980 Mk1 Golf GTI

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    ****balls, Gen 4 iPod, I'm going to have to buy a new one.
    I dropped a clanger as well as I haven't spec'd this on my S3. I am in the process of asking the dealer to add AMI as it seems worthwhile. Why Audi didnt include this in the Sat Nav package is beyond me!

I plan to test my 2nd Gen Ipod nano with it though before upgrading to a 4th Gen. It might be that they just haven't tested on a 2nd Gen Ipod.
    Now

Previously

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    Does any one know if it would work with the Iphone 3g ?

1st Gear

Status
    Good question!

Its on the list here

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/ne..._database.html

I think to get full functionality you might need this as well

Now

Previously

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Here is a photo of a nav screen from the TT-RS, which is running the MY10 spec RNS-E presumably...

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pluves1 View Post
    ...I am in the process of asking the dealer to add AMI as it seems worthwhile. Why Audi didnt include this in the Sat Nav package is beyond me!
    They have for the Australian market. In fact, for the Aussie A3/S3 range you can't get AMI unless you option Sat Nav.

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Bumpage...

AUDI HAS REFRESHED its in-car satellite navigation systems with higher screen resolution, improved and faster route calculation, and support for SD memory cards up to 32gb in capacity via its radio-navigation system, RNS-E.
    The systems 6.5-inch display has had its resolution boosted to 800480 pixels, while route calculation benefits from a new 600MHz processor...

/continues
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/357...-get-an-update

Ahh, here is the full press release from Audi Media Services...

Ingolstadt, 2009-06-30

Updated Audi navigation system plus

• 800 x 480 pixel, high-resolution graphics
    • Significantly faster route calculation
    • Available in the Audi A3, TT and R8

The new Audi navigation system plus with MMI (Multi Media Interface) operating logic in the A3, TT and R8 offers improved screen resolution and unmatched route calculation speed. The radio-navigation system, version E (RNS-E), can be combined with the Audi music interface and reads up to 32 GB SD memory cards. The new system is available immediately and costs between 2,270 and 2,565 euros, depending on the model.

The most obvious improvement are the 800 x 480 pixel, high-resolution graphics displayed on the 6.5-inch screen. Route calculation is blazingly fast thanks to a latest-generation processor clocked at 600 MHz. In addition to the recommended lane, the split-screen display now also shows speed limits taken from the navigation data for freeways and highways. In topographic map view, the driver and front passenger can scroll vertically, horizontally and now also along the route as they wish.

External storage media or MP3 players such as an iPod can be attached via the Audi music interface, which is available to customers as optional equipment. Another new benefit is that it charges the external devices.

The navigation system plus now features the intuitive operating logic of the media playback menu, which can also be found in the latest Audi MMI systems. Title information is now displayed, making it easier to search through the music collection.

A Bluetooth adapter for the Audi music interface available at retail stores enables wireless music playback from a mobile phone or MP3 player. There is no need to visit the dealership just to keep the Audi music interface up to date: Updates can be downloaded free of charge from www.audi.de/mp3 and transferred to the car via a USB stick.

On the back of the display, which can be folded away at the push of a button, are two slots for SD and SDHC cards with capacities of up to 32 GB. That is enough for up to 14,000 songs 700 hours or one month of uninterrupted listening enjoyment.

Also new is the optical parking assistant. In the Audi R8 it can be combined with the rearview camera. In addition to acoustic warning signals, the distance to the front and to the rear is now displayed optically on the high-resolution display. When combined with the rearview camera, the graphics from the parking assistant are superimposed over the live image from the camera.
    Hi res piccies to follow...
    Last edited by Lima; 1st July 2009 at 06:11.

AUSmotive.com

Status

Click on each pic to load a larger file.

Status
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    Bumpage...

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/357...-get-an-update

Ahh, here is the full press release from Audi Media Services...

Hi res piccies to follow...
    Any idea if the 3G MMI will show speed limits ?
    Trev
    Trev

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Have any of you guys in the UK seen an MY10 RNS-E yet? My car is only a few weeks away now, so they must be starting to hit the roads over there.

6th Gear

Status
    Yes, I was sat in a TTRS in a local dealer, that had a new RNSe fitted to it.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    It does look nice to be fair! But as mentioned, it will cost on the bay..

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3 View Post
    Yes, I was sat in a TTRS in a local dealer, that had a new RNSe fitted to it.
    Was it as above??
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

3rd Gear

Status
    That does look quite cool..... So, where to buy? Does it just slot straight in and work?

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Was it as above??
    Yes it was!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    That does look quite cool..... So, where to buy? Does it just slot straight in and work?
    It should slot straight in, all the wiring is the same, but as yet no one has tried it that I know of.

3rd Gear

Status
    It should slot straight in, all the wiring is the same, but as yet no one has tried it that I know of.
    Where have poeple bought the RNS-E from in the past? Other than Ebay

6th Gear

Status
    Just one point to note, it is rumoured that the new unit uses online activation so a dealer would have to activate a retrofitted unit.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just one point to note, it is rumoured that the new unit uses online activation so a dealer would have to activate a retrofitted unit.
    Is that to prevent thieft? Any ideas?

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    Is that to prevent thieft? Any ideas?
    Of course!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I have to say I used my rns to its full potential for my drive to italy & it really was bloody good, only problem I had was down to me not doing uturn but rns corrected me straight away & was back on cue within seconds, so if the current is this good then new one will be even better, but tbh unless I can get the new one at a good price which is no doubt a no for now, then I see no reason for an update, cause the processing for routes & directions is quick enough now & sd slots are more than fine for tunes, I mean 4-500 tunes per slot is not bad & done me good for my journey of nearly 1k miles in the day,

I was suitably impressed, happy as is for now as I dont see any revolutionary changes to the unit that would warrant the dough right now.
    KrAzY K likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK