S3 Steering Wheel - mode button

JoolsS3

Reaction score
I've got a standard Concert system in my S3 - when I press the 'Mode' button, the display shows 'NO FUNCTION'. Is this right - I would have thought you could alternate between radio and CD and possibly more?

Is this a fault or is this the way it's meant to be?

cheers!

Same thing happens on my A3 with mfsw and rnse with bose. Although i did manage to get it to change radio frequencies once i think. Not something i try to get it to do very often for obvious reasons.

The mode button on mine activates the bluetooth phone.
Not sure if can change what the mode button does.

Richard

Think it only works if you've got mobile phone link up - NO FUNCT on mine as well.

Yes its for the phone prep. I would be sure you can program the button to do something else other than being dead.

David

No you can't, it is only functional with the BT prep fitted.

You can add a 'translation' box to make them do things... but that's not easy or cheap to do as a one-off.

For example, I have a Parrot aftermarket bluetooth module which has a third-party steering wheel translator box to read the phone buttons... Now I can pick up, hang up, redial etc. from the steering wheel button.

-Interestingly, the in-dash display still says 'NO FUNCTION' because the car itself doesn't "know" that something else is 'hearing' the same serial instruction and "making sense" of it.

PTTM said:
Although i did manage to get it to change radio frequencies once i think.
Not that button... but if you PRESS the thumbwheel NEXT to it, the radio 'SCAN' is activated... -I think you must have been confused and pressed the other button.

Link to the kit which I have, incl. video showing installation and operation (not me or my car in the video)
http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm

Keith

Ah hold on yeah the mode function is just to swap from radio to phone, so the left dial works for radio all the time anyway with no phone, as mode doesnt have another mode to swap to, silly me should have thought about that more.

But it is still not functional or reprogramable to "other things", adding new hardware is totally different.

You can add a 'translation' box to make them do things... but that's not easy or cheap to do as a one-off.

For example, I have a Parrot aftermarket bluetooth module which has a third-party steering wheel translator box to read the phone buttons... Now I can pick up, hang up, redial etc. from the steering wheel button.

-Interestingly, the in-dash display still says 'NO FUNCTION' because the car itself doesn't "know" that something else is 'hearing' the same serial instruction and "making sense" of it.

Not that button... but if you PRESS the thumbwheel NEXT to it, the radio 'SCAN' is activated... -I think you must have been confused and pressed the other button.

Link to the kit which I have, incl. video showing installation and operation (not me or my car in the video)
http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm

Keith