Wastegate chatter......??

S3RYE

Interior Next!!
Reaction score
what is it? and how do i get one? i dont like dump valves (chavvy!) but wastegate chatter sounds amazing!

i know its turbo related so the question is can us 2.0TFSi owners get it?

Yeah external wastegastes sound incredible, i once drove an astra coupe turbo (car wasnt the best) and the sound was just awesome!!!

you'll never get your turbo to chatter, for one your turbo has an internal wastegate and two you need to developing a decent bit of boost for the wastegate to chatter.

internal:
Internalgate_vf39.jpg

External:
Turboexternalgate.jpg

i can get mine to chatter back through the induction kit sounds pretty good not as good as the P2 like

As I posted, go on to the forge website and purchase the valves they sell. One is £45 odd and the other is £140 odd - I cannot remember which one my mate has in his new leon cupra but it gives the chatter you are wanting and it sounds awesome!

He has just purchased a miltek cat back and the turbo to cat will be ordered very soon! I also think he is considering a dbilas intake so the noise will be immense! Think he is running 280bhp with just a map and forge intake!

I posted up abuot this a while ago... The new Focus RS seems to produce something similar... anyone know whats special about that to give it the sound?

From the info i've got so far, the forge parts are the only way to get something similar-ish!...

Dave

im looking for the same sound aswell, because i dont think the S3 makes enough sound when driving really, is forge the only compnay that do these kind of products?

My 3 was pretty quiet until l had the forge intake fitted. Now it makes a nice hanibal lecture sound when its throttled. When its really pushed up the revs it makes a delightful sound when you change up the gears. As for the BOV, l have heard that on one car atleast, it took power away. This was immediately remedied by remove the BOV spacer.

Right, for those who want to learn keep reading..

Wastegate chatter does not exist. period.

Even if the spring loaded arm that holds the wastegate shut broke, the wastegate wouldn't make any signifcant noise and if it did you wouldn't be able to hear through the exhuast anyway.

The sound in fact people are describing and hear which they like so much is called Compressor surge. If you want to hear this remove your dump valve or just fit an undersize dump valve that doesn't vent as much air as the compressor is supplying when the throttle plate is closed.

JC on Top gear hasn't a clue how mechanical systems work.

sorry if you already know this. just gets on my tits to keep hearing this wastegate chatter sillyness.

:keule:

Bumping an old thread but yeah everyone has told me it's compressor surge. But when I get my S3, I want that noise lol. Does it do any damage modifying the car to make the noise?

Video for reference

To put it this way,it's not a good thing at all.

Lol, balls. I'm assuming this will be the same case for a blow off/dump valve?