Got a new Golf Mk6, disappointing..

jb111s

Reaction score
We've got a Golf Mk6 2.0tdi GT on a 3day loan whilst my oh chooses a new company car. I was really looking forward to it after hearing all these supposed quality improvements & it was a dead cert to get compared to other cars in her price range.

Well, after an hours hoon in it I am seriously disappointed. Interior plastic is still well below the quality of the A3 & the cabin still feels cheap inside. It is just vast amounts of cheap plastic. The supposedly great new 2.0 diesel engine is very disappointing. Once it gets going it is quick, but there is at least a 1-2 second turbo lag when flooring the throttle & runs out of revs very quickly.

Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic looking car & I love the stiff suspension and handling (definitley going to fit 18's & eibachs to mine now) but performance and interior quality were a real let down.

A real shame. May have to look into (gulp) bmw's now :(

I'm not entirely convinced that Audi interior materials are that far ahead of Volkswagen at all. For example, the upper dash in our Mk5 GTI feels and looks nicer than any 8P A3/S3. I've not driven a Mk6 yet, but have spent a reasonable amount of time inside them at car shows and dealers. From what I've seen the Mk6 is definite improvement over the Mk5, so not sure I would agree with your assessment completely.

On the facelifted S3s I have been looking at during my purchase decision, the row of buttons below the double din stereo/nav slot are pretty disappointing. Their alignment has usually been out, plus the crude and hard plastic used appears very un-Audi like.

Audi interiors are great, generally, but they're far from perfect.

Is it a basic or trendline?

Cause its a major difference of quality feel if you get the highline and it all comes down to what you choose for extras. A trendline golf vs a highline golf is like night and day..

or wait, does the "GT" stand for the sportline?

Press seem to make out its a high quality interior. Certainly looks nicer than the MK5 interior. I've quite come round to them.

The new diesel engine will be the same as that in the facelift A3s. Its a cracking engine and its pulls strongly all the way to the redline from my experience of it.

You can tell the difference in quality between a MK5 and an 8P A3 thats for sure. MK6 will have to wait and see for myself.

harsh assesment imo. The mk6 Golf is evolutionary (as always) but its still come a long way in terms of refinement, build quality and materials imo.

Funny thing is, the mk6 appears to be commanding a premium (used values) over the A3 and 1 series - madness.

The supposedly great new 2.0 diesel engine is very disappointing. Once it gets going it is quick, but there is at least a 1-2 second turbo lag when flooring the throttle & runs out of revs very quickly.

Can't comment on the Golf interior but 2.0 CR TDI engine is excellent but for me became better and better over the first 5000-6000 miles. If it was still a fresh unit it does take time to bed in and loosen up.

Me too.

I got into a MkV R32 whilst I owned an A3 and it was very poor in comparison!

Have to agree, the mk5's i have been in seem low on quality, not just compared to my 8P but also it seems inferior to my brothers mk4 R32 which is still very solid after 90k

I must be blind then :sadlike:

I'm talking about the dash above the headunit that contains the vents, cowl over the top of the dials and goes back to the windscreen. The materials used in the A3 are no better than what is used in the Golf.

The lower part housing the HVAC controls in the Golf does use more plastic, but then, for me, that's a small trade off for having a more user friendly ergonomic layout.

Don't get me wrong, the Audi interiors are good, and I think it looks nicer overall, but I just don't see the materials used as being light years ahead of the Golfs, as some people seem to do.

:beerchug:

Having owned a mid-range Mk V, it's the centre console by the handbrake and the 'butresses' that sit beneath the HVAC controls that I dislike the most on the Golf interior. Somehow this piece has also found its way into the new Scirocco. The A3 equivalent is miles better, e.g. with the sliding cover for the cupholders.

Looked at the A3 and Mk VI Golf back-to-back and did find the A3 the more solid car inside e.g. the climate control knobs as a particular example, although the Golf has caught up, and the relatively cheap touchscreen stereo is a nice touch for those of us who don't want to pay thousands for built-in satnav. Shame Audi didn't see fit to pilfer that item for the MY09/MY10 A3.

What surprised me most is that I found the dashboard on the new A4 (particularly the stereo controls) to be inferior to the A3, with all it's shiny black plastic and small, wobbly heater controls. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

Well I'm not talking about the door handle or a switch I'm talking about the WHOLE interior, and its feel. When I got in a mk5 GTI, my A3 feels 10x better and looks 10x better. Hence why I bought one, and not a golf.

Sorry it's gone back to the dealers now. I've got a couple of pics I'll upload if it helps. It was the sporty GT diesel with 18" wheels & firm suspension, so they may do a better spec for the leather clad ones. Don't get me wrong it was a very good car but it just wasn't miles ahead as they made out. The plastic definitely felt cheaper and firmer (if that makes sense). Take the A3's door trim for example, it's got nice moulded plastic with leather & the switches are well integrated. The Golf just had another bit of firm black plastic & nothing else. It was very spartan. The overall effect of all this hard black plastic makes it feel really bland & cheap. The steering wheel was also multifunction & moved very nicely but the leather on it didn't feel special. Definitely no way near as nice as my s-line wheel.

The stereo was also very naff looking, but did have usb and 3.5 inputs in. It also comes with a vw bottle opener by the slide out section next to the handbrake!!

Agree about the comments regarding the rear. It is very nice looking at the front though.

With each iteration I think the Golf is turning into something of a mini-MPV. Its higher, taller and styled worse at the rear with each revision. In fact, the last A3 shape (2008) really reminds me of how the Golf used to look, quite smart. I used to own a 1997 Golf and it looked very much like the A3 of last year. The new Golf looks great from the front, but looks hideous from the back, imo of course.

Having owned a mid-range Mk V, it's the centre console by the handbrake and the 'butresses' that sit beneath the HVAC controls that I dislike the most on the Golf interior. Somehow this piece has also found its way into the new Scirocco. The A3 equivalent is miles better, e.g. with the sliding cover for the cupholders.

Ive owned both an A3 TDI Sport and a Mk5 Golf GTI, thought there wasnt much in it when comparing interiors. The A3 had a better finish but then its a premium car and your paying for that. The quality in the Golf was only slightly inferior to the A3 and had quite a few nice touchs that were absent in the A3. One thing I hated about my A3 was the 'buttress' of the centre console as I always used to bang my knees against them and they were a pain on long journeys...

Anyone driven a new Ford lately? Ugh plastic plastic everywhere even on £20k Focus's yuck...

this is how i see it
Audi a3 class
golf r32 OK
golf gti poor mans a3
seat losers

rag the ***** out of there cars all the time to honestly try and convince themselves its as good as an a3
A Leon was coming up behind me COMING UP TO RED LIGHTS all of a sudden flew up the side of me giving me the dirtyest of looks with his chick in the car ,So i knew he was gonna try kill to get in front , i took it to 4000 revs dropped the quattro into the dirt he was absolutely killing it with his girlfriend clinging for dear life . he started fading off like the seat loser he is as we got to the next lights his chick was clocking my ride IGNORING HIM and he was yet again another seat loser that needed dropping back into line i mean whats with these dicks all up I'm my boot every car in the list has attitudes with a3s eff in deluded LOL HAHAHAHAHA ....

Geez, there's not much VAG loving going on here is there, haha.

Although, it is mildly amusing that 10blazin has just slagged of Seat owners but has seen fit to add a Cupra spolier to his car.

:p

this is how i see it
Audi a3 class
golf r32 OK
golf gti poor mans a3
seat losers

rag the ***** out of there cars all the time to honestly try and convince themselves its as good as an a3
A Leon was coming up behind me COMING UP TO RED LIGHTS all of a sudden flew up the side of me giving me the dirtyest of looks with his chick in the car ,So i knew he was gonna try kill to get in front , i took it to 4000 revs dropped the quattro into the dirt he was absolutely killing it with his girlfriend clinging for dear life . he started fading off like the seat loser he is as we got to the next lights his chick was clocking my ride IGNORING HIM and he was yet again another seat loser that needed dropping back into line i mean whats with these dicks all up I'm my boot every car in the list has attitudes with a3s eff in deluded LOL HAHAHAHAHA ....

Am i the only person who thinks you sound a complete ****?

10B

I am dismayed by your assessment of the MkV GTI. Have you owned one, or driven one over a sustained period on UK A/B roads? I think that you will find that it is no poor* cousin to the A3. Out of the box, I found it both capable and enjoyable. What A3 are you comparing against the GTI anyway?

I also think that if SEAT had got their finger out and designed the interior and ride quality, it too would have been a contender - as it is (was) those points alone isolated out of the competition.

Your loyalty to the one brand is admirable, but not without flaw.

*Did you miss the pricing of the GTI? Hardly inexpensive.

this is how i see it
Audi a3 class
golf r32 OK
golf gti poor mans a3
seat losers

Oh dear I hope other people dont take your views as being what a typical A3 owner is like... you'll be giving us a bad name.

The Golf GTI is more of a drivers car than the equivalent 2.0T A3. The Seat is a good car too. If it had been a Cupra it'd of been you that was getting dropped back into line...

You can't slag these cars too much, they share a lot of parts with your A3 and generally drive better!!! But without the badge and nice interiors.

Blazin is FUNNY. But I understand where he's coming from. So Matt would you say the Golf GTI is a match to the S3 or the S3 a match to the R32?

The golf i meant in looks and style and interior , not price or performance maybe i wrote that wrong they out perform if anything ......And im sorry seat and skoda owners are tits every time one pulls up he smokes the **** of it they always have dump valves to lol, they just seem to kill them any chance wanting to prove there better than audis a little insicure if you ask me .......sohrob you dont own a seat do you

I don't see Seat as a loser's car either. Audi does have a superior image as a brand but the car themselves are not far apart between each other, just my opinion.

g conni dont mean seat cars i mean the drivers of them have inferiority complex ......

Blazin is FUNNY. But I understand where he's coming from. So Matt would you say the Golf GTI is a match to the S3 or the S3 a match to the R32?

Golf GTI - 2.0T A3

Same engine, same power.

I was replying to N8KOW as to what I thought the Golf GTI was a match for out of the A3 range!

Geez, there's not much VAG loving going on here is there, haha.

Although, it is mildly amusing that 10blazin has just slagged of Seat owners but has seen fit to add a Cupra spolier to his car.

:p

Haha good point lima but thats just to protect my sline bumper over speedbumps and it looks good .....lol :moa: I would own and drive a golf for sure but a skoda octavia and seat i wouldnt touch one with a barge pole in case i was tarred with the " Im a nob with a dump valve better than audis" brush and became ill getting a complex.....

Wernt it a skoda octavia that smashed in to beskins car ..The other day on very thin streets where kids play , I got out of my car at my moms this seat leon saw me climbing out of my car that was coming down are street and deciding to neerly snap his car in 2 dump valve blowing to **** remapped to death hitting about 80 on a quiet street where kids play ..I mean for what , So id think il give up my audi and get one of them LOL , But i just threw him the ****** sign he could of torn a kid in 2 if one would of popped out ...THERE TITS

They are all the same car. Where it matters, in the oily bits. The difference is in how they look, and apparently who buys them :laugh:

It has always happened, ever since there were more than 10 car manufacturers. Here is a "posh" mini from the 60s
Rileyelfarp750pix.jpg

And here is a "posh" golf from the other week
IMG_0379.jpg

:whistle2:

Its strange, ive never had anybody try to "smoke" me at the lights. Not a Skoda, nor a Seat, nor a VW OR a Ford.

Now then BlazinSquad, ponder that...

Where they all up in your boot?

on the Mkv golf I didnt like the two different types of interior door handles, kinda unbalanced looking. Also didnt like the style on the speedo & rev dials. Do like the Blue LEDS though.

On the A3, I prefer the pre-facelift dash buttons. As mentions above they look poor quality & ill fitting of the facelift.

No experience on Mk6 Golf yet...

THe mark 6 golf is a big pile of lard

this is how i see it
Audi a3 class
golf r32 OK
golf gti poor mans a3
seat losers

A well specced A3 and a GTI with a couple of nice options come to roughly the same price...

The GTI is streets ahead in terms of handling though, as nice as the A3 is.

I rather like the Mk6 Golf :yes:

Was really really knobbed off with the A3 the other week and considered chopping it in for a new 1.4 petrol Golf with wheels and a few bits :wtf:

I didn't do it, obviously, 'cos that would be stupid :keule: It was just one of those days when Diesel, Turbo, and DSG all got together and said "let's wind this sap up today"

:beee:

sorry wixbit were from different areas didnt you realise that people speak differently outside of yours ....What terms exactly should i use so you understand