Knocking

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
After i fitted my lowering springs i now get a very light knocking from the front,only when the car go's on a speed hump or when it comes down. Driving otherwise on normal roads is ok no knocks or anything on ly as mentioned above.

The knock is not loud but its there,i can tell but anyone else wouldnt notice it much unless i told them to listen out for it.

Ive fitted 2 track rod ends (better get wheel alignment checked) and 1 balljoint as they were seized and broke when i tried to remove them.

Everything is tight and has bee double checked,i took all suspension off including the hub in one,compressed the new spring...put on the top mounts and bolted them down with the air gun,tight.

Just cant understand why thats happened now there was no knocking before on the original springs.
I suppose i could live with it as its not a loud knock but would rather get it sorted.....ANY ideas ?

2006 A3 TDI SPORT LOWERED AROUND 25-30MM

my a3 is the same i think its a quiet knocking noise when you going slow or over a bump
told it might be the drop links but not to sure

sounds like the track rod end to me, i had similar problem with my old car. turns out it was just loose. also it could be the bottom ball joint.

Just had my front shocks replaced under warranty on my 56 Sportback - for what sounds like the same issue. One particular speed bump in Thirsk EVERY MORNING would always create the effect.

Touch wood it seems to be better - but I no longer know what a car is supposed to sound like when going over a speed bump due to living with the annoyance for so long...so I've lost all my objectivity... :)

maybe it is the shocks (shocked! due to the car now being lower) new balljoint,and track ends.

which springs are they fitted, eibach pro's?

lowered on apex springs. it sounds like shocks sumat at the top anyway

topmounts? they werent making any noise before lowering the car why would they go all of a sudden?

Well put it this way the oem suspension isnt exactly that great is it, I upgraded mine to FSD's & Eibach Pro 30mm's, this after short while was making a knocking noise/feel & after much checking only thing could work out that wasnt checked because of location were the top mounts, so took hubs completely of with suspension still on, the top mounts were fecked mate, so the better suspension actually showed up how screwed they must have been for ages cause that doesnt happen over the small period I had the better suspension for.

Also TBH if your new suspension was harder & the mounts are say 3-4 years old they of course would be worn to a degree & then the new suspension being harder would probably make them go fairly quickly after that, thats from facts of my car & analogy in my head & proved it to be aswell, but hey I'm not saying gospel thats your issue but it was for me & considering £30-£40 a side its well worth swapping for new to cater for the new suspension

:think:uummmm........dont fancy taking the suspension off again! Dont know what to do.........they only make a slight noise,a quiet noise and only over certain speedhumps or a very pothole rd. Thanks for the help........i may wait till it gets worse though...:confused:

Oh 1 more thing,can you tell when there F..ked ? i had a good look at mine when they were off they looked perfect not flat or split or anything.

Well the unit has a plastic housing that has inside the bearing unit to spin on as such, if these 2 parts are fairly loose of eachother then they're fecked, you could hold the top part & then let go of the bottom part & it would drop about 5 mm I'd say which for them was alot when compared to my new ones, they didnt budge, just span round, mine seemed to have grit in there aswell so could be years of driving & road crap has got in there & eventaully over time ground the internals down slightly to make them loose, when I looked at them in parts it was hard to think anyother way they could of got like that, but was so.