Bird poo + Audi paint

BenUK

Reaction score
I read recently that the darker paint ranges (especially black) suffer quite badly when birds decide to eject their guts over your car.

I never really paid much attention to this "warning" however, at work one of the execs has a dark blue A5 and it must have been parked there for a week under the overhang of the building and there were a load and I mean load of bird cruds on his bonnet when he came back. By this afternoon they were gone (been to carwash), but still on the bonnet was quite visible outlines of where this had happened.

Is this a real concern for all audi cars, or just certain cars, or just certain paints. Is there anything you can do to stop it?

The reason why I ask is that I am really on the lookout for a nice looking A3 in Lava Grey, but dont really want to go that route if the paint is going to get bodged up...

Many thanks,

Ben.

Don't think lava grey will show it much as it's not a deep glossy finish like the black paints tend to be. You can generally polish out the marks from bird muck in any event, as long as it's not been on there too long.

I think this is a problem with all cars... it needs to be washed off as soon as you spot it....

Seagulls are the worst cos they eat all sorts of crap and there turds can leave marred? (spelling) paint... My previous S4 (1999 Model Ming Blue) suffered, my fathers Honda S2000 (2000 in Red) has the same bird lime marks... and my new S3 I noticed had a slight mark that looks like bird droppings, its sprint blue.

Suprisingly I have not spotted these marks on my wifes Vaxhaul Tigra which she has had for 4 years now.

ive never had a problem as long as you wash and wax once a week or fortnight should be fine mine is lava grey and lol at the term "bird cruds" ive not herd that word crud for ages lol......

6.jpg

this is a problem for any car, any colour, it's all to do with the acidic levels in the poo. What you need to do is give your car a good proper clean, glaze, seal n wax. Every week clean car with just a quick detailing spray like dodo juice red mist n if you do get bird poo on it, soak it, gently wipe it of, clean paint n spray it with red mist

Yes, well, basically the entire bonnet of this A5 was more or less covered in the stuff, it was quite sad actually to see.

Thanks for the info guys,

Ben.

it's called bird etching and is very common. bird poo is basically acid's, and like its been said, seagull poo is the worse, that can etch the paint within an hour!!!! Ive had bird poo marks on my mk4 golf show car when I had it, took ages to get out with a porter cable, but got there in the end. Carry a MF cloth and some QD and wipe off as soon as you notice it. Just be on the look out regularly.

Can't comment on Audi yet, but had a solid black mk V Golf a few years back. Went on holiday for 2 weeks in the summer, leaving it on the drive. At some point a bird cr@pped on it and this practically melted the paint - was all cracked like the glaze on old crockery.

Apparently the water-based paints that all manufacturers use these days aren't as good against caustic/acidic attack as the old oil-based paints were.

Used to notice that things like leaves or bird poo would leave a slight mark when first washed off, but these would fade over the next few days. Seem to recall the colourmagic black polish used to help.

Moral of the story - wash it off as soon as you see it!

How gutting with a new A5!..

Pretty sure its the usual case of BMW & Audi using **** poor water based paints, wish they'd opt for the Mercedes type "nano" paint, which is far far thicker. Either way terradactyl size plops on your car (the ones with berries in) equals **** stained paint equals afternoon polishing!.

I find an air riffle and cutting down all surrounding trees helps!.

:gun2:

I had a stain on my paint within a couple of hours. I used some Menzerna cutting polish on a microfibre using just one finger on the spot. That got it out.

dont talk to me about birdpoo....

this is what i face every day during the summer months

DSC00176-1.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

Never mind the air gun, i use bread and bicarb , no noise except when they pop.........................

dont talk to me about birdpoo....

this is what i face every day during the summer months

DSC00176-1.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

Never mind the air gun, i use bread and bicarb , no noise except when they pop.........................

Jesus christ have you thought about employing a gunner to sit on some kind of mount where you park these,that would seriously **** me off seeing that a few times:sign_omg: