Retrofit USB port?

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Hi guys,

Has anybody retrofitted one of these units to their cars? Do they work with ConcertII radios? If somebody would be so kind to perhaps provide a part number as well asa pic of the unit?

TIA

Do you mean this?

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...-Interface---USB-SD---Quadlock---Audi-VW.html

1071_0.jpg

Not quite the one that you posted. I have the Blaupunkt unit similar to the one you posted fitted in my car. It works fine but has been acting up lately. I read in an Audi brochure at a dealer that the OEM USB port can be ordered as an optional extra.I'm considering removing the Blaupunkt one and fitting the oem unit....if i could get the part number and possibly see what it looks like. Apparently it fits in the glove compartment.

There are other types on ebay too.

They plug into the same pins as the CD changer would IIRC and then you control it in the same way as you would with the ipod interface.

EDIT: Sorry Rabbit I hadn't seen your second post. The OEM USB port sits in the glovebox like the ipod interface.

NWBaM_motiv.jpg

I was gonna fit the oem one but then John or someone highlighted the new AMI coming out so thought I'd wait for that tbh see if can fit & Leon is right its the cd interface for the basic current one.

Thats the one Staz! You have a part number perhaps? Wonder if its a direct fit or will i need to replace something in the glove compartment?

Thats the one Staz! You have a part number perhaps? Wonder if its a direct fit or will i need to replace something in the glove compartment?

No part number I'm afraid sorry mate. I think they're inserts that fit in the top right area in the glove box. Obviously you'll need a hole for the cable. Should be easy!

Its just cutout needed in top of the glovebox & push into the hole & wire in cd wires in rns, I'm not sure if it comes with prewired connector or pins as havnt got etka/elsa reinstalled yet, but from all accounts its fairly easy job from what I recall, audiforums.us would maybe show images aswell Rabbit.

Looking in the brochure the USB connection has PR number UF2. Etka shows a glovebox insert for PR-UF2 as 8E0 857 925 E

I didn't see one. I'll check again for you.....

Nothing conclusive, I could only find a cable to connect the CD changer to the headunit. But as the USB adaptor mimics the functions of the CD changer this may be the correct cable. :think:

Why not put the R2500 (plus the cost of the harness) towards an RNSe? Then you will have two built in SD card readers and navigation?

Why not put the R2500 (plus the cost of the harness) towards an RNSe? Then you will have two built in SD card readers and navigation?

The thing is, RNSe is not freely available here in SA unless you know of someone that will ship to SA? Will the UK version work in my car ie: maps? What sort of pricing are we looking at in SA rands?

I was gonna fit the oem one but then John or someone highlighted the new AMI coming out so thought I'd wait for that tbh see if can fit & Leon is right its the cd interface for the basic current one.

Tell us more please
Also heard something about a new AMI but dont know any details around it and whether or not it will work with a Concert2

The UK/Euro version will work, but you'll need the SA maps which add further costs. You can source a unit from eBay for £500-£600

Tell us more please
Also heard something about a new AMI but dont know any details around it and whether or not it will work with a Concert2

MY2010 cars have the option of an upgraded navigation unit with a hard disk. This unit also has true AMI capability, ie track names/playlists from the ipod on the RNSe

EDIT: Wont work with the Concert 2

MY2010 cars have the option of an upgraded navigation unit with a hard disk. This unit also has true AMI capability, ie track names/playlists from the ipod on the RNSe

EDIT: Wont work with the Concert 2

Ah ok. So not a simple addon then. Would have to get this new RNS-E with hard drive. I'm guessing its not available yet and so no part number to query for price. Maybe I'll just have to watch eBay

Cheers for that mate! Wonder what the costs are for SA maps....:think:

Theres a guy I was in contact with from Holland I believe (found him on the Naviplus forum) and he sold the RNS-E and could include the South Africa maps. Also could add adapters for DVD playback and voice recognition and bluetooth. Think it was a bit over EUR 1000 including shipping to SA (though it was a good while ago)

Considering what I've just learnt I figure I rather wait and see how this new RNS-E pans out. Good iPod functionality is important for me and the old RNS-E doesnt address that

The other alternative I'm waiting on is the Zenec unit. Zenec have just decided on SMAC as their local distributor and SMAC will soon have units available in South Africa with South African maps of course. Just hope they're reasonable on price

http://www.zenec.com/index.php?id=294&L=1

SA maps in Audi SA cost around 3500 to 4000 rand (around 250 pounds), the discs for SA get updated every 2 years so next update only next year.

The unit from Ebay is a good buy, I had a few friends who bought and installed it with no hassle. Some people take paypal, others you need to go through bank and transfer. Its plug and play. You can use the original disc or share the cost with a friend. There is a difference between the facelift and pre-facelist units but mostly cosmetic (silver surrounds for the volume control to match the new interior)

The satnav is basic though, it doesnt allow speed camera alerts or anything else. Ipod control simulates a 6 disc cd player which maps to the first 5 playlists and all tracks on the ipod. This is if you plug the ipod connector into it, the USB connector will function similar. SD card reader in the RNS only reads SD (max 4Gb) cards, not the new SDHC cards so you might battle to get hold of them as well as SDHC has pretty much taken over here in PC shops. And the updates are every 2 years, a Garmin or TomTom is a better bet if you prefer to be up to date with roadnames. The 2008 map doesnt have many of the new road names as it is using late 2007 data when it was mastered.

You are looking at around 6k or so for the unit landed, assuming customs are generous. If you get a dud unit its going to cost a fortune to send back so if you buy get it from a trusted source on Ebay.

Personally, I'd wait for the new nav unit and forget the USB thing. For the price you said it costs its not worth it unless you planning on keeping it for a loooong time.

Hey Rabbit I've sent items around the world including FBMFSW's, I'd be willing to help you out if need be to alleviate any worry of dud unit, I can test & package etc, it wont be cheap to send insured, but cheaper than dealer stateside for you huh

Few well known AS members can velch for me, if need help PM me.

Hey Rabbit I've sent items around the world including FBMFSW's, I'd be willing to help you out if need be to alleviate any worry of dud unit, I can test & package etc, it wont be cheap to send insured, but cheaper than dealer stateside for you huh

Few well known AS members can velch for me, if need help PM me.

Thanks mate! This new RNS-E has me in a tizz at the moment. Maybe I should wait and see what they look like and then get into contact with you? REVO KEV can vouch for me as I have just been appointed a REVO dealer here in SA:beerchug:

They don't look any different apart from the media key. This is a unit in a Seat Exeo.

audia4b6us-albums-2010-rns-e-picture161-img-0165-62147.jpg

Ok, took the plunge and decided to purchase the USB unit. It arrived at the dealership yesterday and I will be swinging by them today to see if it fits in the cubbyhole. Just need to make sure that I don't require anything else for fitment bar the CD Changer cable!

Ok, swung by the dealership and had a look at the USB port. Its exactly like the one that Staz posted up...only one problem. Seems like I need to replace the inner section of my cubby hole as the inner section slopes whereas the USB unit is a straight unit if that makes sense. If at all possible, could somebody assist with the part number for the cubby inner section to enable me to complete the install without butchering my stock cubby hole inners?

I'll have a look on etka for you when I have a spare moment. Stay tuned!
Can you post a pic of your present cubby hole/glovebox interior?

I have the factory ipod console, it looks like this. Is this what you need?
IMG_0144.jpg