My audi a3 suspension NEEDS HELP PLEASE!

phille87

Reaction score
Hello, This is my audi a3 with 8.5x19 ET45 and 235/35 r19 tyres:

SP_A0146.jpg

I want to go lower, I want to put coils all around, but I dont want it to rub?

I have rubbed with this spec with loaded car and fast over bump but with coils the struts are stiffer and if I go rly slow on bumps it would work?

Please I need everyone's opinion on this one!

I can't stand the height as it is atm.

Thankful for any answers!

Your tyres are too wide

To avoid some scuffage, you will need to put 215/35/19 tyres on if they are scuffing with full load

My mate had the same wheels and tyres on his golf gti and they scuffed like mad lowered to the tyre on fk coilovers so he put on 215's and didnt scuff as much but he sold them as it did his head in!

Redhead off the site had et45 LM 19" on her A3 lowered to the tyre on fk highsport coilovers and as far as i know she did not have any rubbing issues!

Yeah its true, but how much did your mate lower it? I'm thinking about 30mm MAXIMUM..

Damn i love the wheels, but now its like 'have them as they are or sell them' :S

BUT MATE! What is the ideal wheel spec for the a3 if I want to lower it with coils.

8x19 ET50? with 225/35 19?

Thanks

mine are the same offset and width and there 19s.... with 235s mine would rub for sure but i got 225/35/19s and dosent rub at all with 35mm drop H&r springs heres a pic.... plus springs are whey cheaper if i got coils id rather a 8 inch wide wheel so i could really drop em with coils but you cant really with these wheels and offset so i went for springs plus money was a factor..... i dont really want to be ripping out my arch liners so this is fine looks ok to ....

3.jpg

2.jpg

Looks great man, I want it lowered just like that, but you say you have 8.5x19 Et 45 with 225/35 r19's and DOESNT RUB?

is that only when your driving alone or? what happens when you have your mates in the back?

Thanks!

my girlfriend and baba have been sat in the back with my mate and me in the front and if i bounce over a speed bump it make a quick nudge apart from that its been fine no rubbing at all ..... you can get eibach springs but im not sure about rubbing ive herd there slightly more bouncey where h&r are more stiff but more comfy than sline thats for sure..... But ive not had a full load tbh well im 16 stone my mate is 15 my girl must be 13 after the baba plus the baby and recaro seat so not far off a full load lol ......

Amazing man, you really helped me here. Yeah the eibach are more bouncy just as u say.

All I gotta do is getting some 225's and h&r springs, but getting the 235's sold is a pain....... I wonder if you can get them exchanged at wheelshops and put some money in the middle.

His GTI was on the tyre and imo if you are running LM's, you need to be decked to pull them off properly

Best spec for alloys is et50 with anything from 215-235 width tyre

Mine are et50 235/35/19 - I had bridgestone potenza's up front and kumho at the back - both the same size but the bridgestone have a more curved tyre edge that the kumho's straight face - they would rub if the offset wasnt right!

Audi recommends the A3 offset to be et45-55 so 50 is ideal especially when lowering!

is your's a qauttro any how heres the kit

non qauttro

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/hr-...prings-a3-8p-a3-8p-sportback-0503-p-3075.html

and qauttro

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/hr-...attro-a3-8p-sportback-quattro-0803-p-640.html

and the tires i have are falkon fk452s 225/35/19 the wall slopes away so less chance of rubbing i think there about 90 quid each ....you could go for 215s but will have a streched tire look i can only advise on what ive got ......you could go for 215s with coils but i aint to good on that boydie can help you if you want it on the deck it will look better but it will cost......:icon_thumright:

Oh yeah I see what you mean hehe..

Yeah it looks good, but Im good enought with 35mm since I often drive with ppl in the car so..

Thanks for the tip

It's just that I need to solve this problem, and if I go with 225's and h&r like yours, its the look im after, but I dont wanna buy all the stuff and then stand there with a rubbed butt, know what I mean?

but you say you dont rub so thats great. so Thanks!

yeah my alloys are 45 et 8.5 wide and 19"
tires 225/35/19 falkon 452s 92 quid there made by dunlop and are awesome for the money.....
the link for your springs are on the thread below for the springs good look...... if you get slight rubbing with a full load you can remove the centre of the arch liner on the back i dont think you will have to tbh and on the front in the middle at the top theres a metal clip you can remove in case it rubs with a full load i think it will be fine although not sure with 5 heads just give it a go

heres a link for the tires 96 quid each from camskill hope this helps mate

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b443s468p0

10blazin, how can u say its a 35mm drop from s line?

s line is lowered 10mm from the factory already? so it will show only 25 mm lowering?

well i was told 35 mm drop from s line and 25 mm drop from s3 because s3 is 10mm lower than sline mine is 35 mm lower than yours its only 3 half cm but you can tell im sure im right

It's 35mm from standard spec, so an se should see 35mm drop, sport will see 25mm drop, s line will see bout 10/15mm drop (can't remember on how much lower the s line is) n the s3 will stay at same height

no mate the s3 drops 25 mm i just confirmed it with jamie mine defo dropped 35mm

cheers for clarifying that jamie i though i was goin mad .... i just remember dpm telling me that then i thought did he or am i going daft.....lol

The H&R S3 springs are S3 specific, hence the guarenteed drop of 25mm.
On the A3 it's harder to work out based against, Se, Sport and S-line spec standard springs.... so yeah, that varies!

so yea, mine are H&R a3 35mm drop so as mine is a sport i will see 25mm it will be sitting the same height as the s3!

so yea, mine are H&R a3 35mm drop so as mine is a sport i will see 25mm it will be sitting the same height as the s3!

I think it goes like this:

SE
Sport - 15mm
S-line - 10mm
S - 10mm

So S3 is 35mm lower than standard.
H&R then drops another 25mm
So a H&R spec S3 is 60mm lower than a standard A3.

I think that is still lower than the A3 H&R cars????

So, if you have a 25mm drop from a standard Sport, you will be 5mm lower than a standrd S3, but 20mm higher than a H&R S3.

I think that's right?

:search:

yea, i think, so then with my a3, as its a sport and i have fitted a3 35mm spring (not the s3 ones) i will see a 20mm drop. if i had n se i would see a full 35mm drop n if i had the s line i would see a 10mm drop and all of the a3's with H&R 35mm spring will be the same height as the standard s3

Sounds about right to me... but I'm no expert lol