Possible Gearbox Problem Help Please

Kev12344

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Fsi which I think is developing some issues with its gearbox.

Car has only covered 15,700 miles and I purchased the car second hand at around 13,000 miles.

The problems that have started to happen were, about a week ago it was difficult to get the car to engage 6th gear, but the problem seemed to go away after 2 days.

Now today when I went to reverse the car, I couldn't get the reverse gear to come out as it was as if it was stuck in position. After a few attempts it did come out. Now this wasn't just me not putting the clutch to the floor, the clutch was as far down to the carpet as I could possible push it.

Anyway, now I find that the reverse gear is sticky and also gears 3rd - 4th are notchy. 4th into 5th is fine, but 5th - 6th is also notchy.

Car has full service history to date. I was just wondering if maybe the car needs its gearbox oil/fluid changed, if it even uses it?

Or has anyone else suffered any issues that sound like the things I am having on my 2.0T Fsi Sportback?

Car at the moment is still able to be driven.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice or help on this matter.

Thanks in advance for any help or reply to this matter.:sm4:

Take it back under warrenty, i have heard of some notchiness on these boxes, sometimes cured by clutch repalcaement, sometimes by swapping the box. Either way i am sure the manufacturers warrenty is still valid

Byzan A4 - Thanks for confiming that you have also heard of the notchiness problems on these boxes.

Yeah the warranty is valid until August 2009 so it'll be going to the dealer for them to look at. I just wanted to see if anyone else had gearbox problems with the A3 Sportback 2.0T Fsi.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

It has only happened twice. I will be sitting at a set of lights and have the car in 1st, i will pull away and if i try to change gear at very low rpm from 1st to 2nd the gear wont come out of first. Like you said, foot is to the floor in regards to the clutch, but after the car has got momentum it comes out. Its only happened twice, and it only happens when i try to change gear at low rpm, ie, below 2000 rpm.

The solution for me is i only change gear at 6500rpm.....lol! No, anything higher than 2000rpm from 1st to second and its fine.

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Fsi which I think is developing some issues with its gearbox.

Car has only covered 15,700 miles and I purchased the car second hand at around 13,000 miles.

The problems that have started to happen were, about a week ago it was difficult to get the car to engage 6th gear, but the problem seemed to go away after 2 days.

Now today when I went to reverse the car, I couldn't get the reverse gear to come out as it was as if it was stuck in position. After a few attempts it did come out. Now this wasn't just me not putting the clutch to the floor, the clutch was as far down to the carpet as I could possible push it.

Anyway, now I find that the reverse gear is sticky and also gears 3rd - 4th are notchy. 4th into 5th is fine, but 5th - 6th is also notchy.

Car has full service history to date. I was just wondering if maybe the car needs its gearbox oil/fluid changed, if it even uses it?

Or has anyone else suffered any issues that sound like the things I am having on my 2.0T Fsi Sportback?

Car at the moment is still able to be driven.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice or help on this matter.

Thanks in advance for any help or reply to this matter.:sm4:

This sounds like the gearbox fluid is low or the pump is faulty. This happend to me A few months ago.....

digzz - Was this a dealer fix for you under warranty?

I have mine booked in for next week and have mentioned the problem as described on here to them, so they are going to be taking a look.

I am just hoping that they don't say its anything else and try and wriggle out of the warranty claim.

Thanks again for all the help people, much appreciated. :sm4:

digzz - Was this a dealer fix for you under warranty?

I have mine booked in for next week and have mentioned the problem as described on here to them, so they are going to be taking a look.

I am just hoping that they don't say its anything else and try and wriggle out of the warranty claim.

Thanks again for all the help people, much appreciated. :sm4:

I don't Have any warranty mate...I Have a 53 Plate Audi a3 .....It was a AA that looked in the brake fluid pot....which was nearly empty.....I thouth it was the pump but ever since it's been topped up I ain't had no problems....Touch Wood.:salute:

digzz - Thanks for the help mate, its appreciated. I'll check all under bonnet fluids again tomorrow, but they are checked frequently anyway. I'll have another look and pay a bit more attention to the brake fluid pot.

Thanks again mate, for taking the time to reply.

Cheers.:sm4: