MFSW retrofit- apologies in advance!

~RS~

Reaction score
I know this subject has been hashed out to death, but I must be getting duller as I age because for the 20 or so thread I just read on fitting an MFSW I am still no nearer to understnading what is needed!

So, please bear with me and explain in 'for dummies' format what is required if I want to swap my steering wheel which looks like this:

audi_a3_sportback_interior.jpg

to one like this:

mfsw.jpg

(but S-line, chrome button surround version).

The shape looks the same to me so I am hoping that I won't need a new airbag... but how do I find out if I need a new slip ring and ecu or not?

I have a 54 plate 2005 sportback sport. No Bluetooth, RNS-E or phone prep that I am aware of.

Damn! My head hurts reading about adding a MFSW!!!:readit::think::sos:

Have you got cruise control?

I believe if you have this it may mean you have the correct steering ecu and slip ring

The best way to check will be to contact your local dealer and give them your vin number and they will be able totell what ecu and slip ring are fitted to your car. Then post em on here and somebody will confirm if they are correct or not for mf

You're airbag should be ok as it is a 3 spoke one and the mf is 3 spoke also.

You will also need vag.com to enable the mf function on your car when fitted

Oh, and i may have a sline mf wheel for sale if you arte interested.

It doesnt have the chrome though. It is from a 2007 car
DSC00085.jpg

Thank you very much mate.... That post did what an aspirin failed to! :)

I do not have cruise control, I did read something to this effect but the thread died off so never got resolved. I will check with dealers on Tue... pm ya shortly

you got any pics of yours rs i want to see your wheels how they look on your car ...are they 19"

Oh, and i may have a sline mf wheel for sale if you arte interested.

It doesnt have the chrome though. It is from a 2007 car
DSC00085.jpg

how much are you asking for it scottie, im after changing mine as i have the older one in my b6 cab and want to upgrade.
do you have an airbag for sale too ?

how do you get the airbags off in order to get the wheel off if there screws where are they .....??????

10blazin said:
you got any pics of yours rs i want to see your wheels how they look on your car ...are they 19"

Yes mate they are 19's my pic taking skills are in the category of rank amateur, they never seem to come out how the car looks! If that makes any sense or maybe it looks alot better in my minds eye :)

How do you use this multi quote thing! It's doing my head in!!

N8KOW said:
Why don't you just get a flat bottom man?

I want the RNS-E, bluetooth and wheel mod. Flat wheel costs are too prohibitive right now... maybe another time, I usually like things done all together and would have to wait a while longer to do flat wheel at the same time.

how do you get the airbags off in order to get the wheel off if there screws where are they .....??????

Good question!

How easy is it to swap wheels over? Is it a DIY or something I need to pay for :)

if you look behind the wheel, there is 2 plastic covers about the size of a 20p piece. They are on opposite sides to eac other. Flip these of and when you turn your wheel, you should see a torque bolt . 2 bolts to take out.

To remove the wheel you will need a m12 spline bit.

Torque head ( not sure on size) to remove airbag.

You will need vcds to code wheel to car if going from non mf to mf.

If going from mf to mf , no need to code.

Fairly easy to do, just make sure you dont move slip ring position when removing wheel , and all will be fine.

havent actually done this yet!, but this is all info i have gathered from posts etc

hope this helps

As a matter of interest what does the slip ring look like, any pics ? please

Anybody have the part numbers and cost of the ecu and slip ring required for the sw pictured above... one on ebay at the mo...

Anybody know these part no's and rough cost?:shrug: